New 90 Gallon Adventure!

ErinV

I am so excited for the next chapter in my fish keeping journey that I thought it would be fun to start a journal. I have butterflies as I get closer to picking it up this afternoon. Currently I have a 30 gallon so the day dreaming of what something 3 times the size will look like is fun. Making different tank set ups with different fish and plants. Doing lots of research to make an amazing community tank with fish that like to party together. I am leaning towards Angel fish or Rainbows as my star fish with some schooling fish. Stay tuned over the following months as a get it up and running.

P.S. I will be asking lots of questions!!! 🙂

• Like 3

Well it was an interesting afternoon. I got my new tank from an auction for a store that was closing because owners are retiring. I was crossing my fingers that it would all fit in my Ford Escape. Well.... 1 inch to long to get tank and stand in together and we tried a few different ways. I will say that there are still good people out there. Someone else that was there offered to bring it to me. The wife works in my town. It saves me another round trip of an hour and a half.

Edited by ErinV
  • Like 4

I just posted about it on another thread (see below), but I have a 65 with a single koi angelfish, along with schools of turquoise rainbowfish, black neon tetras, lemon tetras, and panda corys.  I took my time deciding the stocking for it, and it turned out well.  I really like the way the colors of the tetras and rainbows complement each other.

• Like 2

I have started the clean up process for my new tank. Lots of hard water stains and build up. Now that it is cleaned up I can tell that this is a tank someone has built or already put back together once. The glass is 1/2 inch thick and the front panel sits about an 1/8 of an inch in on bottom glass plate and therefore the back panel is sitting the same off of the bottom at the back. I do not think this will be an issue due to the thickness of the glass. There are also a few more chips out of the edges but again because of the thickness of the glass, I should be good.  Today's job is to get the tank turned upside down and the bottom black rim reattached, that is of course after I scrub it clean. 

P.S. Lily is currently using it as her personal fort.

20210118_120138.jpg

20210118_202903.jpg

• Like 3

Life happens and not much has changed with the 90 gallon, that is until today. I have spent almost 5 hours cleaning up the bottom black rim so I can reattach it. Pain stacking work with razor blade and acetone to get several layers of silicone/ glue off. 

20210125_093550.jpg

20210125_120530.jpg

20210125_135910.jpg

20210125_150031.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 months later...

It is way over due but I have an update on my 90g. It has WATER in it! Life has a way of deciding to mess up your well laid out plans. Finally got the resealing of the tank finished 2 weeks ago and hubby helped me wrestle it to the basement. Which I might add went much smoother than I thought it would. Today I filled it just over a 1/4 with water and I will wait until tomorrow to add more. Hopefully by the end of the week it will be filled and hold water. Than I will drain it, put the stand in place (still need to clean the spot) and start building my dream tank. 

20210530_111147.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Well I filled the tank the rest of the way on Monday and it is still holding strong. Going to leave water in it until ready to move so that everything's inside stays wet. Either later today or tomorrow I am hoping to test the filter. It is a canister filter which I have never had before. It was part of the awesome deal I got with the tank at auction. I bought all the media and a few small replacement parts months ago. Although something in the back of my head tells me I am missing something. I guess we will find out soon.

20210531_144257.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

My two little friends that helped with filter testing. They had ignored it all week when it just had water in it. As soon as there was moving water, they wanted to go swimming. I ran the filter for a couple of days. It was really noisy so I took it apart and found a piece of plastic bouncing around. I realized it had snapped off when I was trying to lock the hoses in place. So got new parts and it ran amazingly for 5 days. No leaks, not loud, good water movement. Then it started to get loud again. I ended up unplugging it and it has been sitting for over a week again. Life sure does like to get in the way of hobbies sometimes. Hopefully I can look at it in the next few days. Really want to get it up and running. Not to mention the plants I thought would be in it by now are very much taking over my 30g. Slow and study....

20210603_161201.jpg

20210603_161136.jpg

20210603_160926.jpg

Edited by ErinV
  • Like 6

MTS Alert!!!

On my way to pick up this 65 gallon bad boy. I have enough stuff for setting up the 90g and spare parts hanging around that I can do both at the same time. 

Meaning that I can have my Angel tank and my Rainbow tank now.

Although Hubby has made this the cut line for tanks. That is understandable and ok because I would not have somewhere to put another one. 😉

Screenshot_20210624-192308_Facebook.jpg

• Like 3

Piece of wood is absolutely beautiful and was worked into the cost of the tank. Light was technically free as it was not tested. Stopped at my amazing local fish store on the way home to test it. They popped in a bulb and it works perfectly fine. Win for me!!!

I also spent some time going over some stocking combos and I think I have it figured out. 

More details coming soon.....🙂

• Like 1

Great journal! I look forward to seeing your progress! You should add a link in your signature for this, and another when you start your 65 gallon journal!

PS, in my household, 3.5 gallon and smaller tanks count as houseplants, because you can move them while full!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If there's still a .0001 % chance of changing your mind....then DIS-CUS! DIS-CUS! DIS-CUS!

That's probably not the case, but Angels will be a really cool tank. Looking forward to this....

How about your equipment? We need those deets! I see that you've got a canister - which one?

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

Well this afternoon I was on cloud nine, hubby was home and agreed to help get the 90g going. I made sure everything was ready. Cleaned the stand. Cleaned the spot where to was going. Than we proceeded to move the stand from the garage to the basement with a very sharp 90 degree bend/landing area. We than got everything in place and tween helped us lift it up. Than we started putting in substrate. I was then left to play with my composition and in my happy place. Big chunk of wood here, rock there....

Then I decided to add a couple of inches of water so I could go get plants out of my 30g. 

NOPE - my 30 to 40 pound piece of wood decided it wanted to float. Add more water and spent the next 2 hours battling with rocks and wood. Finialy I had enough, filled the tank all the way. Added my declorinator. Added some starter bacteria. Than went and got plants and snails and took them on a little trip. I than fed the tank some fish food and I am now writing this. Not the way I wanted to end the day but it is set up and now I can play with it until it is right.

Oh and the air pump I got decided it was not strong enough for a 2 inch air stone. 

It is time for bed now. Going to go dream about what I want it to look like and not its current state.

20210628_174427.jpg

20210628_182725.jpg

20210628_191837.jpg

20210628_204421.jpg

20210628_213916.jpg

20210628_213922.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

It has been a productive day. The 90g is UP and RUNNING!

I got an air pump that has enough power, the right size heater and a log that rocks will hold down.

I actually put the piece of wood in that I had originally intended for this tank. I am very happy with it.

Snails are very happy so far and going to add a few more from the 30g (which now needs to be rearranged and planted better). I also saw fish FRY! They must have been in the hornwart I moved from the 30g, which means that I believe my Rainbows have bred. Not sure if they will survive the seasoning process but I will definitely be taking a closer look in the 30g.

I will give a run down of my set up and plants soon.

Still need to put back drop on and figure out the lid situation. See post in general.

20210630_154800.jpg

20210630_154806.jpg

20210630_154809.jpg

20210630_154813.jpg

20210630_154817.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I am one proud fishy mama. 

90g has been fully set up with plants for 24hr and there are still fry in it. Today there were 7/8 tiny little fish swimming around. It takes a while to find them and if you look away you lose them. Clear wiggly things with black eyes. I don't have fry food so I used a spoon to crush some frozen Brin shrimp. Poured it in and after staring at the tank for a while I actually saw one go after a dust size piece. I can't wait to see if they are still there tomorrow.

20210701_214557.jpg

Edited by ErinV

@Jeff, thanks, I bought the tank at an auction for a closing pet store. Stand was part of it. It is probably from the late 80s early 90s as that is how old my lfs owner dates the tank, due to the thickness off the glass and style. 

Shirt answer-no idea. 

• Like 2