Grandcrabby Guacamole has made himself a little hideout that takes advantage of the current to bring him food. Smart little dude! He is very well concealed by macros that are not generally on the menu of "the one we shall not name". 

He, "the one we shall not name", is perched on the powerhead ignoring food and everything around him, so he is not going to be a threat for a few days. 

Molting Yoga Pose:

PXL_20211231_171449335_MP.jpg.db35bcb6f90ca4ec3414a1b20aaddef7.jpg

Sulky whelk after a glass cleaning:

PXL_20211231_171237570_MP.jpg.143f79f08eb6106aa744b3ca84f47c6e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

On 1/3/2022 at 6:25 AM, Hobbit said:

Is the chandelier anemone attached to anything or just floating???

Now I’m going to have Sia’s song stuck in my head all morning 😆

She is attached to the roof of the tank, and I bet if I play that song she may dance to it! 🤣

• Haha 4

Crazy day in the tank. The weather has been nasty and I needed to do a water change, so I mixed some water and the V-Sump looked like it needed to be serviced. I think I killed my cycle. Used Prime, did all the "by the book" necessary steps, and the tank just went cloudy on me! Parameters are reading fine, critters appear to be fine, but it is just not crystal clear. Hopefully I did not kill the archaea.

I also found a Pentidotea wonsnesenskii or Rockweed isopod living in the outflow sponge, about 12mm long, dark brown, not the most endearing looking creature. I left him alone.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 7:59 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Crazy day in the tank. The weather has been nasty and I needed to do a water change, so I mixed some water and the V-Sump looked like it needed to be serviced. I think I killed my cycle. Used Prime, did all the "by the book" necessary steps, and the tank just went cloudy on me! Parameters are reading fine, critters appear to be fine, but it is just not crystal clear. Hopefully I did not kill the archaea.

I’m a total noob when it comes to saltwater tanks, but what’s the chemistry/biology that would cause cloudy water in this case? 

On 1/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m a total noob when it comes to saltwater tanks, but what’s the chemistry/biology that would cause cloudy water in this case? 

I am trying to figure out what happened. Maybe the dechlorinator did not work as expected. I made sure to match the salinity and processed the water to removed as much TDS as I could (the pad came out brown, but not worse than usual). I did clean the sponges in the V-Sump but they are not supposed to provide biological filtration, just mechanical. It has been so rainy that I wonder if the tap water had some unexpected nasties... who knows?

The worse that can happen is that it throws the cycle back, and that is not the end of the world since this tank relies mostly on mechanical filtration. Also, there is also almost no macro left, which could account for a slower consumption of ammonia. The Acrobat has been ravenous and I have not been able to get any due to icy slopes.

• Like 1

Could it have been a spawning event triggered by the water change/atmospheric pressure change from the nasty weather? Anemones and other invertebrates have been known to have clouded tanks during spawning events - I've had BTA's turn my tanks to milk before, only for them to seemingly clear up the next day. Usually you'd see a spike in nutrients, but with all the macros in your tank, perhaps they were absorbed quickly?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 3:05 PM, Chris said:

Could it have been a spawning event triggered by the water change/atmospheric pressure change from the nasty weather? Anemones and other invertebrates have been known to have clouded tanks during spawning events - I've had BTA's turn my tanks to milk before, only for them to seemingly clear up the next day. Usually you'd see a spike in nutrients, but with all the macros in your tank, perhaps they were absorbed quickly?

That is plausible. They have been quite "open" lately, with giant lips and unusually large crowns. I am very new to this, so I'll read a bit more about it. Thanks! 😃

• Like 1

I am coming to the realization that this tank may not be happy with "homemade" water for wc. I have always just gone down to the beach and brought back the amount of water needed for the changes. However, snow, ice, and now a sewage spill from our local processing plant is preventing me from doing the usual water harvesting.

Moving forward, I will replenish with ocean water as soon as it is safe, and will limit myself to aggressive filtering, doing wc once every 6 weeks as I was doing before.

Everyone is well, but the tank looks a bit "off", a bit lethargic, and just not the chirpy drama I have become used to. Even Ursula Flerken just sits there waiting for her morsels.

• Sad 1

On 1/10/2022 at 7:42 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I am coming to the realization that this tank may not be happy with "homemade" water for wc. I have always just gone down to the beach and brought back the amount of water needed for the changes. However, snow, ice, and now a sewage spill from our local processing plant is preventing me from doing the usual water harvesting.

Moving forward, I will replenish with ocean water as soon as it is safe, and will limit myself to aggressive filtering, doing wc once every 6 weeks as I was doing before.

Everyone is well, but the tank looks a bit "off", a bit lethargic, and just not the chirpy drama I have become used to. Even Ursula Flerken just sits there waiting for her morsels.

If I were still up there, I would bring you gallon jugs of ocean water. 

As a kid, I noticed the difference, as well. I hope this passes quickly, and I wish I was surprised over a sewage spill... sadly, we discovered that GP had been using the area [before we bought it] to reduce their costs for waste treatment (whatcom county).

I hope you are staying warm and safe!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 8:42 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Do you mix the water for 24 hours before you add it?  That can be very helpful for having more stable chemistry of the water.  There’s something that needs to stabilize in salt water mix.  I can’t remember exactly what, since it’s been at least 15 years since I had a salt tank, but it was always recommended to mix 24 hours ahead before using for water changes.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 7:08 PM, Odd Duck said:

Do you mix the water for 24 hours before you add it?  That can be very helpful for having more stable chemistry of the water.  There’s something that needs to stabilize in salt water mix.  I can’t remember exactly what, since it’s been at least 15 years since I had a salt tank, but it was always recommended to mix 24 hours ahead before using for water changes.

I did not this time. My understanding was that mixing saltwater did not require 24 hours if it was done at lower temperatures. The tank temperature is 50F so I matched that. I am questioning that action on my part and reading more about it. Next time I will allow 24 hours regardless of temperature. This could account for the initial cloudiness, even though the water was crystal clear before I added it to the V-Sump. Some chemical stabilization was probably still going on, and I am not sure how to measure that without investing insane amounts of money in testing equipment. Ca seems to be the element that needs the most time to stabilize, and pH was 8.0 when I added the water.

Moving forward, the critters look fine, and maybe just showing signs of a hangover. They eat fine, move around normally, but just sort of "off". There is also an absence of macros as The Acrobat has decimated the latest salad bar, and with the no-contact order it is going to have to wait before I add any.

Thank you for pointing this out. I shall be more mindful next time I mix my own water. I have been spoiled by not needing to do that, so another learning step in the process. 😃

On 1/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, Torrey said:

If I were still up there, I would bring you gallon jugs of ocean water. 

As a kid, I noticed the difference, as well. I hope this passes quickly, and I wish I was surprised over a sewage spill... sadly, we discovered that GP had been using the area [before we bought it] to reduce their costs for waste treatment (whatcom county).

I hope you are staying warm and safe!

That is very sweet of you! Thank you!

The lesson here for me is to try to become less reliant on just one way of doing things. It is currently raining cats and dogs, so today is tending to the critters, studying, and making progress on some projects.

😍

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 8:42 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I am coming to the realization that this tank may not be happy with "homemade" water for wc.

That's really an interesting finding!  I have zero interest in keeping SW tanks because of the work involved, but I've learned so much from reading your updates on this tank.  Everything from behavior and interactions, to chemistry.  I must imagine the process has been trying for you at times, but it's been eye opening and incredibly informative as a reader.  Thanks for keeping this journal going!

• Like 2

I finished painting the new background for the tank. I also attended a lecture sponsored by our local aquarium society, GSAS, featuring Alex Wenchel, who talked among other things, about painting with light when doing aquarium photography. 

This was a lot of fun. The background was not as time consuming as I thought, and I am quite happy with how it came out. Staying true to the Puget Sound Biotope, I am going to sacrifice the green macros in the tank and focus on reds. They are growing (albeit slowly) all over the tank, so I am going deeper and trying to mimic lighting conditions below 50' and see what happens. The photos below are straight from the phone camera with no color adjustments.

The new tank!

PXL_20220114_005445006_MP.jpg.624ff8f0383429abd8ef40a38f7e0f94.jpg

The tank at night:

PXL_20220114_011003253.jpg.5deb8f580d38139ac2ac23e81df3c69b.jpg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 3
  • Love 6