On 4/3/2022 at 4:53 PM, Griznatch said:

Once again, thanks for the updates!

David Attenborough should be narrating this journal 🙂

There's an actress (can't remember her name) who narrates & creates a whole lot of videos about animal reproduction methods... I can hear her voice right now, lol.

Yay!

I found the video about seahorse conception.

• Haha 2

On 4/2/2022 at 1:29 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Warning, the video is very long!

4 minutes and 45 seconds is not *very* long, lol... amazing to watch!!!

On 4/2/2022 at 1:29 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Warning, the video is very long!

4 minutes and 45 seconds is not *very* long, lol... amazing to watch!!!

• Like 1

Well, it was bound to happen. I flooded the house with ocean water. As I now remember, it was quite the funny series of mishaps.

My tank parameters where insanely off, so a water change was necessary. This meant hauling 28 gallons of seawater up the hill (courtesy of Mr. Peas) and do a major cleanup of the V-Sump. The spawning anemones are generating so much waste, and my BB is almost too efficient. You see, there are no plants in a SW tank to consume the NO3, so it stays there.

Clumsy me knocked off the line from the V-Sump into the tank, causing all the incoming water to go on the floor. But not just the floor! It managed to splash into the UPS causing it scream and smoke. So, unplug everything, and remembering not to touch anything with wet hands.

Mr. Peas comes over to see what is the cause of the smell, and knows me too well, so leaves the scene of the crime. He calmly went to get another UPS as a replacement. :classic_ninja:

Lots of towels and a few loads of laundry later, the V-Sump is clean, the tank is back to normal, the critters did not notice a thing, and after a few adjustments we are up and running again.

So thankful for cement floors! 🙃

Mr. Peas commented: After 30 years fo marriage, I get a mad scientist that has turned the whole house into a laboratory and plays with dangerous toys! - Well, he gets the garage! 🤪

Sorry, no photos. Too busy trying not to electrocute myself! 😵 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

On 4/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, Patrick_G said:

Mr Peas caries 28 gallons of a water up from the sound? Is that in five gallon buckets or do you guys have some other system? 

Water storage totes 7 gallons a piece. One or two at a time depending on his mood. He is in good shape. 😍

I, on other hand, max out at 4 gallons!

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Water storage totes 7 gallons a piece. One or two at a time depending on his mood. He is in good shape. 😍

I, on other hand, max out at 4 gallons!

Wow, that's serious!  I max out at the tubing to build automatic water change systems.  I'll put on my weight belt if I need to carry a tube and a joint to connect the tube.  🏋️‍♂️

• Haha 4

The “nobody got electrocuted” is the important bit, after all.  Mr. Peas sounds both wise and tolerant.  Mr. Duck is the same.  😆 I guess we are both lucky for tolerant husbands.  Mine is over 40 years in training.  😂 🤣 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 4/18/2022 at 3:58 PM, Odd Duck said:

The “nobody got electrocuted” is the important bit, after all.  Mr. Peas sounds both wise and tolerant.  Mr. Duck is the same.  😆 I guess we are both lucky for tolerant husbands.  Mine is over 40 years in training.  😂 🤣 

He is amazing! 😍

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, Hobbit said:

My hubby is a very modern type so I don’t use the term “training”… I prefer “desensitization.” 😆

I think in my case I have been the one "in training". He is still trying to get me to eat my vegetables but not getting far. 🤪 

• Haha 3

What a morning!!!

Mr Peas is definitely a keeper.

My Patient Spouse™ has progressed to the point of not being upset about accidents, and doesn't use accidents that happen as justification for needing to get rid of tanks, so huge progress from 2014 when we first started living together.

I'm not sure if we are at the point where there would have been zero convo before the drive to get the replacement UPS, and I *know* there would not be hauling of water for me... although they did haul out the 5 gallon bucket to get dumped on the bushes outside when I finally started doing water changes after my surgery.

• Like 2

Reaching parameter stability. No pictures, but Ursula Flerken is looking better, and she ate two shrimp tails yesterday. I have a new Aggregate anemone (from another split), bringing the total number of Aggregates to 23! Shrimp are multiplying too. Lots of molting, and the usual drama of this box. :classic_ninja:

• Like 4

On 4/22/2022 at 5:18 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Have you discovered your first organism you will need to remove?

Not sure I will intentionally remove anything, unless it does it on its own and goes into the sump. This tank is becoming my own version of The Mentaculus! :classic_ninja:

This is the nursery, where all the berried shrimp hang out and gossip:

image.jpeg.ec033e119a14d8e99f30e7c0a94ab296.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:22 PM, eatyourpeas said:

The Mentaculus!

Now there is a a reference I would expect from no one else but you.  Love it!

Also, that limpet in the background looks so much like my limpet nerites!  They make me very happy.  Such wonderful inverts you can have in SW!  And don't get me started on the cool macro algae...

• Like 1

I got some clams for Twinkle Toes and Ursula Flerken, and I accidentally broke one when digging it up, so I fed it to Ursula. Someone else got curious and tried to steal her lunch:

She got fed up with the worm, ate it, and closed up for the day:

image.jpeg.4c1012cca7502c861d8b521df2235e13.jpeg

And Lola had some opinionated neighbors regarding her new dwelling:

Who, me? Yes, you!

image.jpeg.e882c25628ac77509b60fefdbce41ee7.jpeg

• Like 4