This is my first attempt at a SW tank. I am adding all sorts of life forms from Puget Sound, Washington State.

The humble beginnings:
1614366070659.png

Currently aiming for a stable 55F environment and waiting for the dust to settle.

1614366595885.png

1614366796459.png

Had a molting from one of the amphipods.

1614366846319.png

1614685915639.png

1615003026143.png

Well, I thought mystery snails were the only ones with more of a penchant for relocation, until I just saw the clam decided to try a new spot in the tank (and out of view, of course). I know he is there because I can see him from the top, but the little stinker has made it impossible for me to get a side view. I guess they all want to redecorate at some point. The snails and amphipods have pretty much decimated the green tuft seaweed.

Littorina scutulata and several amphipods and copepods.

Algae:
Sarcodiotheca gaudichaudii, Cladophora columbiana, Prionitis lanceolata, Fucus gardneri, Alaria marginata.

The tank today:

1618155821426.png

I am also documenting this in YT so I can remember what things looked like once a transition has taken place. Please bear in mind that I do have a goofy sense of humour, so some of the videos are kind of wacky.

• Like 12
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Emika_B said:

Wow, that’s cool!  Those gammaru are huge - or is it a perspective thing?  Either way, very neat and thanks for sharing 🙂

They are about four times larger than when I first got them. Must be the food I give them, and yes, they are scarily huge! And you are welcome 🙂

44 minutes ago, Demobanana said:

Cool! The only thing I know about Puget Sound is Jeremy Wade went there once t look at some octopus, the water looks so murky and dark. But I think native tanks (and not just in your country) are a really cool addition to a home.

I would love to have an octopus, but they get huge and are the ultimate escape artists! Beautiful creatures! The water can be murky, but visibility can be great as well. You just have to like to dive in cold water 🙂 I love that I can have a little window into the world outside and under.

16 hours ago, eatyourpeas said:

I would love to have an octopus, but they get huge and are the ultimate escape artists! Beautiful creatures! The water can be murky, but visibility can be great as well. You just have to like to dive in cold water 🙂 I love that I can have a little window into the world outside and under.

If you're into octopuses, you should check out Richard Ross:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today's update, new critters in the tank.

Three Coonstripe shrimp (Pandalus hypsinotus) have joined the gang. They are almost as goofy as the Amano shrimp. The one in the video was surfing the filter current for quite a while, took a break, and went back for another good ride. I named that one Antifaz because it reminds me of a mask.

The other new guest is a Grainyhand hermit crab (Pagurus granosimanus) but I am not sure if the shell is from a whelk, Nucella ostrina. Hopefully someone with knowledge of gastropods can confirm. His name is Archimedes.

It was a perfect day out there and the water was really warm.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 3

Just now, Patrick_G said:

Having lived on Puget Sound and it’s waterways for 25 years I love this tank! Do you have any fish in there? Some of the sculpins must be small enough. 

That is the dream fish and why I am in the process of learning as much as I can before I can bring one home. A Grunt sculpin and a  Pacific spiny lumpsucker. I will be making my own tank and am still trying to figure out all the other components, and having a great time throughout the whole process! 🙂

I am glad you like it! Thank you! 🙂

• Like 3