• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 7:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The hole in his shell - is that the norm for these guys? Asking bc there is some activity in the hole. Barnacle? Part of the crab? Hydra?

Also - do aquatic hermit crabs need to change shells like their landlubber counterparts?

There was a little bristle worm living in the shell and eating leftovers. The shell may have had the hole when the crab moved in.

And yes, aquatic crabs fight over empty larger shells when they outgrow their current ones. It is hilarious! They drag the shell with them, look at it over and over, turn it, poke the inside, then finally line it up and do the switch. However, I have seen some reject the new dwellings and move back to their old one, which is probably why they hold on to the older shell for a bit.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:27 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I thought about your tank the whole time I was watching Jonathan Butkus at the GSAS meeting on aquascaping with macroes. Enjoyable to catch up on all the doings in this tank. Hope you and yours are well. Keep having fun!

Unfortunately, I missed that talk! Being on an island I depend on a reliable ferry system, and they have been canceling and delaying sailings a lot recently.

I am happy there is encouragement to grow macros. Once they take off, they are amazing! Mine are turning into a red forest!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...