• 4 weeks later...

I just realized the red macros seem to favor the left side of the tank. They are growing like crazy, and only a few of the red flat leaf ones are starting to sprout on the right side. Why???

DC238B51-1B25-4835-B18B-10C5AD621693.jpeg.e49b76994cd20728eb2b98347cee5d02.jpeg

Please excuse the poor image. Tank is in rapid diatom growth mode because some of the bay gobies are showing the beginning of eggs.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

On 8/28/2022 at 9:01 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

What have you done?!  That's awesome!!!  Reefers chase that sour of outcome.

Ooh.  Bristle worms are one thing I am not looking forward to in SW.  Do you get very my in your cooler tank? 

From my very limited knowledge bristle worms are a good thing in sw (free clean up crew) the only real pest one are fire worms which hurt like hell to get stung by

On 12/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, Aiden Carter said:

I think the pest starfish eat zoas

In terms of Asterina species, apparently it depends on the exact species you get (they are challenging to differentiate, and there are likely a number of cryptic species as well).  A fellow member of my local club has a strain he has never had eat any of his corals.  They are probably one of the biofilm feeding species.  That said, he doesn't like them, but he also hates pest snails, so...  🤷‍♂️

On 12/12/2022 at 11:39 AM, Aiden Carter said:

From my very limited knowledge bristle worms are a good thing in sw (free clean up crew) the only real pest one are fire worms which hurt like hell to get stung by

Disagree.  From all I have read, the potential danger from bristleworms also depends on the species you get.  Large growing ones can eat corals, nems, and even fish.  They all hurt, or are at least uncomfortable (but I, too, hear fireworms are far worse!).  In terms of "pest" CUC critters, I'd rather chance it with the stars than any bristleworms.  Just my preference. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 10:15 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Disagree.  From all I have read, the potential danger from bristleworms also depends on the species you get.  Large growing ones can eat corals, nems, and even fish.  They all hurt, or are at least uncomfortable (but I, too, hear fireworms are far worse!).  In terms of "pest" CUC critters, I'd rather chance it with the stars than any bristleworms.  Just my preference. 

Correct. Especially when looking at tropical species. 

Not to mention they don’t get along with eachother very well. Even the true detritivores will kill and eat others if given the chance. There are some beautiful marine polychaetes in the PNW most have a bite far worse than the sting. 

As for the red macros, I’m perplexed. I guess there must be a micro environment in your tank they prefer over there? 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 12:55 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Not Ursula levels.

But they are so rewarding! Just keep your kids at a distance! 😉

The largest amphipod I've seen in this tank! I am assuming is a girl based on size.

image.jpeg.6d4d472826c0b90534f60496abc8ad08.jpeg

IMG_0722.jpg.5c33818fbd4087c80cbc003c253c24cf.jpg

Baby crabs out to lunch recess:

image.jpeg.838c754bd68679746e25cc33c1e50514.jpeg

Macros liking the temp probe now:

image.jpeg.797553901fc28baa875ed42e5a2b3d60.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 2:11 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

#justgobythings

First off, I also love how gobies are always optimistic for food!  They are like puppies that way.

Second, did you really hashtag a forum post?!  Way to introduce the 1990's to the 2020's.  I hope they have a grungy and yest socially distanced baby.  😁

• Haha 2

On 1/23/2023 at 10:38 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I don't believe you for a second, you young whipper-snapper!  I know you got the Insta-Toks.  (How old do I have to be to talk like that?!  I already love that I am called an "elder" millennial - who prefers to think of themselves as Gen-X, thank you very much!).🤣💀😂💀

We Baby Boomers find this hilarious 😁🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

On 1/24/2023 at 2:29 AM, Guppysnail said:

We Baby Boomers find this hilarious 😁🤣🤣🤣

Second that!!! 🤣

On 1/23/2023 at 7:38 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I don't believe you for a second, you young whipper-snapper!  I know you got the Insta-Toks.  (How old do I have to be to talk like that?!  I already love that I am called an "elder" millennial - who prefers to think of themselves as Gen-X, thank you very much!).🤣💀😂💀

My kids have already deemed you (and me) obsolete! 😉

• Haha 3

On 2/1/2023 at 5:28 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Are those macros growing on the powerhead too?!  A tank full of life!

They are indeed! It looks like the beginning of Turkish Towel, but it is still a bit small for me to be sure. I will get more pics later when lights come on. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am scaling back on the oxygen a bit since my pH went to 8.5

Still trying to determine how the lack of CO2 may affect some critters, but the tank seems as happy as ever. Lots of copepods, so I am now feeding once every four days, causing the gobies to follow me with imploring eyes. 🤨

• Like 4