On 7/8/2022 at 4:21 PM, Patrick_G said:

What salinity do you keep this tank at? I know the sound can feel noticeably less saline than ocean water, but is it actually? 

Since I bring the water from the ocean (only had to mix twice) the salinity has registered anywhere from 1.022 to 1.018

I try to keep it at 1.020

• Like 2

She is messing with me! 🤪

"Members of the class Anthozoa are either gonochoric or hermaphroditic. Mature gametes are shed into the coelenteron and spawned through the mouth. Life cycle: The zygote develops into a planktonic planula larva. Metamorphosis begins with early morphogenesis of tentacles, septa and pharynx before larval settlement on the aboral end. "

image.jpeg.952b5c076acc182d6ea4badd981d85c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.f0917173c0bc8123b20a327f6d22d552.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/8/2022 at 6:42 PM, eatyourpeas said:

She is messing with me! 🤪

"Members of the class Anthozoa are either gonochoric or hermaphroditic. Mature gametes are shed into the coelenteron and spawned through the mouth. Life cycle: The zygote develops into a planktonic planula larva. Metamorphosis begins with early morphogenesis of tentacles, septa and pharynx before larval settlement on the aboral end. "

image.jpeg.952b5c076acc182d6ea4badd981d85c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.f0917173c0bc8123b20a327f6d22d552.jpeg

They are a fabulous little Flerken!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 9:17 AM, Odd Duck said:

How’s the Flerken family doing?

Etienne and Leopold Flerken have disappeared. Maybe buried somewhere for protection, maybe eaten by a bristleworm, who knows. I have learned to not be surprised by anything in this drama box, so they may show up a few months later all grown up with beards and a guitar asking for money. 🤪

Ursula Flerken is doing well, she is now asleep and buried. Her usual morning routine until she smells food and comes out to make sure she does not miss out.

I cleaned the skimmer and added a new airstone, and found very healthy red macros growing inside!

image.jpeg.431ba685036d7b9ef1d1441af0557d22.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Now just trying to get motivated to go get some saltwater for a WC. It is supposed to be hot all next week, so I may just skip the trip and mix SW to keep it closer to temperature. Still having coffee, cup number three… Studying while at it, and getting distracted while at it… 🤨

• Like 3

The bigger LFS I go to the fish section half is saltwater. It’s huge maybe 50 salty boxes with critters. They have a quarter of the wall dedicated to saltwater snails. I must say there are some very fascinating saltwater critters out there. 
your new addition looks like a salty version of a myster snail 🤗🥰

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Currently waiting for the cocktail

He looks like he's already had a few and might be be recovering from said adventure!

This tank makes me seriously consider whether the large box I have for water should be a SW box...  That one still vexes me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, Guppysnail said:

That is quite the lounge chair!  I do believe I may be jealous.

It is not even leather! 🤪

On 7/27/2022 at 8:37 AM, jamieterrin said:

I wish more people would do this.

Might you do a freshwater nano version?

What do you mean? I have other FW tanks but none biotope type. I have a pond and a ditch near my house, but have yet to find interesting critters that my husband would let me bring into the house. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/29/2022 at 9:38 AM, eatyourpeas said:

What do you mean? I have other FW tanks but none biotope type. I have a pond and a ditch near my house, but have yet to find interesting critters that my husband would let me bring into the house. 

what kind of husband doesn't understand?? hehe 

some of them are so cool and have very different behavior, sadly i don't see much about them even from local fish nerds 😞
here is a long list  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freshwater_fishes_of_Washington can't tell whats native and not..
but this one looks sooo cool https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burbot#/media/File:Trüsche_Walchensee.jpg

such a missing part of the hobby i think 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, jamieterrin said:

but this one looks sooo cool

You'd need quite the chiller and large tank for that eelpout!  They are tasty though - folks catch them up north on the Canadian border here in Minnesota.  Apparently they are most active in the winter when they spawn, and go semi-dormant in the summers because the water gets too warm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 3:47 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

You'd need quite the chiller and large tank for that eelpout!  They are tasty though - folks catch them up north on the Canadian border here in Minnesota.  Apparently they are most active in the winter when they spawn, and go semi-dormant in the summers because the water gets too warm. 

Well that explains that, i was hoping to find something like a goby or loach but the natives aren't as well documented as NZ