On 8/29/2022 at 9:54 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I layered floss mats in a strainer sitting under the tank water coming from the bulkhead. These then drain into two layers of felt socks, with a pad of poly filter to do a final polish. The oxygen in the tank has been increased by bleeding the internal skimmer and raising the output nozzle to the tank water surface.

So, the layers aren't acting as an ammoina and eventual nitrate source for your tank, then?  That's interesting.  The BRS investigates video on it suggested 3 days is about optimal to prevent those things from happening.  Bu then again, I can't recall if they were washing and replacing socks (meaning they were cycled material), or if they were putting in new.  Are you tossing the floss mats and poly?***

All sponges I was using as biofiltration have been removed. I now rely mostly on mechanical filtration. NO3 levels became too much for the macros.

Also interesting!  I know most reefers reply on mechanical filtration and say the rocks are enough as biofiltration.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.  I mean the mechanical I get, but converting the N that is in there to a less toxic forms shouldn't be an issue in an of itself.  Maybe I just need to see this in action?***

Sometimes there would be four or five in the sock in the V-Sump. Always wear gloves when tending to the sump!

Nope. Nope. Nope!  I know folks say they are inevitable, but I'd prefer to do without them.  I'm not on with the idea there is something I need to avoid being essentially stung by in my tank.  Nope. Nope. Nope! 

***I have so many questions for you, but I fear they will take away from this thread.  I'll  DM you once I am somewhere with a better internet connection.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 4:59 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

So, the layers aren't acting as an ammoina and eventual nitrate source for your tank, then?  That's interesting.  The BRS investigates video on it suggested 3 days is about optimal to prevent those things from happening. 

After watching their videos (because those guys are awesome!) I realized that the standard setup for socks in a sump has them submerged, so of course they would become a nitrate factory. Mine sit higher in the V-Sump, so all they do is strain the water from particulates. The gunk never sits in the water, and it takes a while to saturate the three layers of floss. Gravity is your friend here.

Also interesting!  I know most reefers reply on mechanical filtration and say the rocks are enough as biofiltration.

Anemones consume a certain amount of ammonia. They love the stuff! Initially, when a had the NO3 spike, I realized there were not enough macros to consume the exported toxin, so now I make sure I supplement my reds with browns which are very efficient NO3 consumers. I am still trying to grow them in the tank, but have not succeeded as of yet. The reds are great looking, but I do not think they are as efficient.

The beauty of planted FW tanks is the amount NO3 that can be exported because there are consumers. Certainly a challenge in the SW world, and since I do not have a refugium, the chaeto approach is not viable. 🤪

I'm not on with the idea there is something I need to avoid being essentially stung by in my tank.

And that, dear sir, is why one wears gloves. They may move in whether you like it or not, so embrace and enjoy them as they are quite the fascinating creatures. If you want a healthy ecosystem you have to embrace all. 😍 Oh, and I never put my hands in the tank, gloves or not! 🥸

Edited by eatyourpeas

On 8/31/2022 at 10:23 AM, eatyourpeas said:

After watching their videos (because those guys are awesome!

Agreed!  I am trying to get MAS involved in more marine stuff.  There has got to be a community in the Twin Cities, I men we have BRS in town here!  If not, it would be like having ACO in town and not having a planted FW community.  Unthinkable!  Actually, Ryan, the founder, reminds me a bit of Cory: cares about getting folks started in the hobby, was a hobbyist himself first, and started from scratch to build something bigger (in Ryan's case, I think he was working at a steak restaurant when he quit to start BRS).

Mine sit higher in the V-Sump, so all they do is strain the water from particulates. They gunk never sits in the water, and it takes a while to saturate the three layers of floss. Gravity is your friend here.

I guess I'd not thought about that distinction in your case.  I could see tht making a significant difference - though I haven't heard anyone else talking about that.  I know World Wide Coral uses filter mats that the water strains through before draining into the rest of the sump.  I don't know if theirs are entirely above the water line or not.  I'm guessing the submerged socks is to reduce noise, but I wonder if that puts them at a disadvantage in that regard?

Anemones consume a certain amount of ammonia. They love the stuff!

I did not know that!  Shores up my desire to include rock flower anemones in my first tank.

so now I make sure I supplement my reds with browns which are very efficient NO3 consumers.

This brings us back to our very first conversations on forums.  Memories...  I wonder if browns are more efficient than reds overall.  If I meet them, maybe I'll see if I can convince the BRS folks to do an investigates on it!

Certainly a challenge in the SW world, and since I do not have a refugium, the chaeto approach is not viable.

I fully plan on having  chaeto fuge.  No question.  There seems to be no downsides in my case, except maybe some unwanted algal growth in parts of the sump from light spillover.

They may move in whether you like it or not, so embrace and enjoy them as they are quite the fascinating creatures.

Not necessarily - I'm told.  I'm still going to make efforts to avoid them, thank you very much!  I might fail, but it won't be because I'm a quitter.  I'm fine with other "pests" but BWs, not so excited about them.  We'll see...  🤪

• Like 2

@OnlyGenusCaps  If it helps at all, I had reef tanks for almost 20 years, back when you could buy “real” live rock (starting in 1983, sold the last one around 2002 or so) and I only remember getting hit by a bristleworm a couple times.  It was more annoying than anything else leaving an “I brushed against some fiberglass” feeling that cleared in a day or less, for me.  I was careful to try to eyeball where I was sticking my fingers, but you generally aren’t grubbing around in the sand with your hands.  The substrate was meant to run itself, with only a little stirring once in a while to make sure you don’t get completely dead spots.  Seems like most are running substrate thinner these days so you don’t even have to stir it.  Or you’re letting the inhabitants stir it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 6:24 AM, Odd Duck said:

Seems like most are running substrate thinner these days so you don’t even have to stir it.

Yes, that is correct! Mine is around 1”-1.75” thick. The high areas are where the crabs make mounds (they love to dig!), but it does not get nearly as high as a deep sand bed. There are enough critters to keep the substrate aerated, so that is good.

The other interesting point is that I run a cold water environment, and am clueless as to how things would perform under tropical conditions. Bacteria is always happier in warmer waters.

The other piece of news is that I saw the first juvenile goby in the tank yesterday! Dead, unfortunately, but it is a sign that they are succeeding in reproducing. He was about 1/2” and very healthy looking (meaning not scrawny). Hopefully there will be more.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:24 AM, Odd Duck said:

I was careful to try to eyeball where I was sticking my fingers, but you generally aren’t grubbing around in the sand with your hands.

I agree! No need to be in the tank at all, except for feeding.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:46 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I wonder if browns are more efficient than reds overall. 

I have found Sargassum to be the best NO3 consumer, but unfortunately it is an invasive species here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2022 at 6:09 AM, Guppysnail said:

Just sitting here wondering what my all time favorite drama box is up to these day. 

Ahhh, wonder no more!

I just got back from Ireland, and have not really seen the tank. It is still dark here, between shorter days and smoke, but did get to pull the dirty socks off the V-Sump and Oh, dear!!!, were they disgusting. Almost black, yet not smelly.

Parameters tested fine last night, but I was exhausted, so I am not putting too much stock on that reading.

As lights come on and I get going on the real cleaning, I will post detailed updates. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:21 AM, Guppysnail said:

Welcome back. Being 50% Irish I’ve always wanted to see it. I do hope you will slip a few travel photos in 🤗

Well, no casualties that I can see. Ursula Flerken is still hiding, so I hope he is OK, just lazy.

So, no feeding for almost four weeks, just the pods and macros in the tank. None of the critters look emaciated, and they took to food quite happily this morning. They cleaned the tank by consuming the diatoms.

Ireland was amazing!

Pods in Ireland: The one on the upper left corner of the picture was found in Doolin Cave. Very rich in limestone, very happy pods.

image.jpeg.bc9bdd90c3c01b014ebcc80266fbc3dd.jpeg

Crab in tidepool on Omey Island:

image.jpeg.db5f12b1d5b530492390b846713b1ca4.jpeg

Wonderful tidepools:

image.jpeg.1bd86b50a0ba44a7a39b8394869efe5d.jpeg

image.jpeg.38f4eba7cf4074dce815d4419c3fbd62.jpeg

image.jpeg.c2c06920211952f3dbb5e57f752983a8.jpeg

image.jpeg.684e4882aad7bd725e7874efccdf20dd.jpeg

Beautiful Atlantic!

image.jpeg.e95a8a0d37dafe2579e779120e14ea4a.jpeg

image.jpeg.964c5de94df9974cb03667be483a636f.jpeg

image.jpeg.6bd41ed01e8ab3d21bd2792d008cffc4.jpeg

Not so fond of pictures. This is what happens when you ask them to smile!

image.jpeg.b235657c3d9b1cf0ff761d38a19c3eae.jpeg

But this little guy was game:

image.jpeg.69522a0a09993d05455ee979c6052457.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Lovely photographs, of what I am sure is a beautiful land!  I've been lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time in places around the eastern North Atlantic and North Sea, but I've not yet had the chance to go to Ireland.  Your photos make me think I need to find a reason sooner than later.  Thanks for sharing them, and it's wonderful to have you back!

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 4:20 PM, Guppysnail said:

Oh my. I would have been EXTREMELY hard pressed to return. 🤗 those photos are wonderful. Thank you for sharing. 

I did explore the possibilities of having aquariums there! 😉

On 10/22/2022 at 6:11 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Lovely photographs, of what I am sure is a beautiful land!  I've been lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time in places around the eastern North Atlantic and North Sea, but I've not yet had the chance to go to Ireland.  Your photos make me think I need to find a reason sooner than later.  Thanks for sharing them, and it's wonderful to have you back!

image.jpeg.32830f5d65ada7529f4b2fc7f0c33120.jpeg

View from airplane window. It is good to be back!

This is what they looked like when I got home:

image.jpeg.65ae55aa841d8042201827234f1fbeec.jpeg

image.jpeg.f88425719a198a88ddd711a219c3bebc.jpeg

image.jpeg.964ab8a2287309813200dffe302e76d8.jpeg

image.jpeg.2e1b9b5a34da1d1897cc957bf839a7d2.jpeg

image.jpeg.0abd0b305f1ecdab968062f2c2a80b7b.jpeg

image.jpeg.402ec0a49fe78fafd114276bda14b9a2.jpeg

image.jpeg.56a19d3d351291610b34d08f8fdcbcde.jpeg

Ursula Flerken came out this morning:

image.jpeg.1bab5fed84482f74d5624e6f90b8a625.jpeg

• Love 8

On 10/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, Patrick_G said:

Ireland looks amazing! Where parts did you visit? 

Started in Dublin, then drove all the around clockwise, departing from Dublin.

Dublin, Kilkenny, Cashel, Cork, Middleton, Clonakilty, Glengarriff, Kenmare, Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, Dingle, Tralee, Ennis, Lahinch, Doolin, Galway, Omey Island, Westport, Sligo, Donegal, Viking Island, Annagry, Letterkenny, Londonderry/Derry, Castlerock, The Causeway, Belfast, Newgrange, Kells, Trim, and pretty much stopped in any little place that looked interesting. Lots of river fishing, and fun to see the tackle shops. Food was excellent!

I wish we had had more time, so hopefully on our next visit the focus will be the hiking and interior of the country. The weather was too unpredictable to do mountains this time of the year.

It is a stunning country, and it looks a lot like home! 🙂

• Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 1:54 PM, Patrick_G said:

Fishing your way across Ireland sounds spectacular. It sounds like you really did see most of the Island. Do you have to show your passport at the northern  border now? 

Not at all. You know you crossed because your speed signs change from Km to Miles.

View from hotel room in Sligo, downriver the place is amazing! Bushmills had the Salmon and Whiskey Festival while we were there.

image.jpeg.19d7cc7f9f0861e771b57de8b310c117.jpeg

• Love 5

• 2 weeks later...

No drama in the drama box. One update though: the V-Sump is now very efficiently keeping the tank clean with just one sock change per week. Feeding now every 2-3 days, all critters happy! Increasing the air bubbles is making the macros happy and they are growing like crazy! 😀

Ursula Flerken dressed up as “The Invisible Flerken” for Halloween and ate all the candy in the tank! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/3/2022 at 7:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Whatr do you think the change has been?  Is the 2-3 day feeding schedule less often? 

I was feeding once a day, with nems getting shrimp and/or fish once every two weeks. There is a very healthy population of copepods at the moment, and it is fun to watch the gobies do the sideways chomp on the tank walls.

I always worry that I am overfeeding, so I am trying to cut back for all tanks, putting the FW ones on the same schedule. 🙂

On 11/3/2022 at 7:35 AM, Schuyler said:

I remember trying to catch those as a kid. They seem like a shoaling fish just based on how I saw them. Do you know if they're social?

They get along great with the tank creatures, especially the gobies. They poke fun at the kelp crabs by sitting on their heads.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1