Your MUST Have Betta Items in a Betta Tank

FrozenFins

A nice variety of hardscape for him to explore with little nooks and crannies. My guy loves squishing himself into the smallest little caves. Lots of rocks and spiderwood. Also I like how my guys watches the little ramshorn snails in his tank, so they're a must as well, at least for me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

A nice variety of hardscape for him to explore with little nooks and crannies. My guy loves squishing himself into the smallest little caves. Lots of rocks and spiderwood. Also I like how my guys watches the little ramshorn snails in his tank, so they're a must as well, at least for me. 

I had nice dragon stone structure that he loved to explore, only problem was that it started tearing up his fins, poor guy. Which is why I wanted the betta log, something for him to go in and out of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I had nice dragon stone structure that he loved to explore, only problem was that it started tearing up his fins, poor guy. Which is why I wanted the betta log, something for him to go in and out of.

I saw that. That stinks, dragonstone is so neat looking. If you can find a smoother type of rock, you can break it up with a sledge hammer into little pieces fit for a nano tank.  Although you might be using a bigger tank, I can't remember. 

• Like 1

My must have is a heater. Not just for the heating of the water which is obvious, but it's like an electric blanket.  He likes the extra warmth sleeping right against it. 

Personally I don't use live plants (I'm not ready for that), apart from marimo balls (hopefully without zebra mussels).  But I have a couple of tall silk plants, and little centerpiece and side ornament.  I also have a betta log on the bottom. 

After giving him so many options, he prefers the corner around the heater, and occasionally underneath the HOB filter. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got a zoo-med betta hammock and the paint started peeling off the face of the leaf after about 2 months. Very unhappy with that. Not sure why. I now have a floating betta log. Initially he wanted nothing to do with it and decided he'd rather wedge himself in some plants. But the other day he started sleeping in the log and I see him in it frequently now. especially after he let me feed him in it a couple times. He's generally not too happy with me being nearby, unless he's hungry then he'll swim right up front for food. I'm a sucker and feed even if it's not feeding time when he does this.  

I used some old heater clips to hold some smaller java ferns near the surface which he enjoys resting in and feeding around a lot.

I just bought a betta mirror too so we'll see how that works out. 

Edited by Ryan F
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan F said:

I got a zoo-med betta hammock and the paint started peeling off the face of the leaf after about 2 months. Very unhappy with that. Not sure why. I now have a floating betta log. Initially he wanted nothing to do with it and decided he'd rather wedge himself in some plants. But the other day he started sleeping in the log and I see him in it frequently now. especially after he let me feed him in it a couple times. He's generally not too happy with me being nearby, unless he's hungry then he'll swim right up front for food. I'm a sucker and feed even if it's not feeding time when he does this.  

I used some old heater clips to hold some smaller java ferns near the surface which he enjoys resting in and feeding around a lot.

I just bought a betta mirror too so we'll see how that works out. 

My betta didn’t spend much time in the floating log (maybe the bubbles from the sponge filter is too strong?).  But when I put some fishing line through it and attached it to the quietest corner of the surface he has made it his favorite hangout.😊

Mine was not very interested in the hammock so I got an Anubias Barteri which is really broad leaves. He loves that plant, swims in and out of the leaves and sleeps on them as well. 

He liked the Betta log too, but they sink...both of them. So I use them for caves in my other tank.  Not sure why they keep sinking...ah well 🙂

Michelle

10 hours ago, J Cor said:

Plants and driftwood. The bettas I’ve had have always used both either to rest on or under and swim around or through them. Some company also keeps them “entertained”. 

Right!  The guppies go in there and the Panda Garras and the spiny eel has visited!  I have one bent guppy that sneaks in behind the betta to snatch some shut eye.  I see them go round and round sometimes!😂