Best Canister Filters

Paul_Obermiller

32 minutes ago, starsman20 said:

So this post motivated me to pick up an fluval 107. Does anyone else do this for leak testing?

5c728122-614f-42d7-a572-27c26221ee82.jpg

No. I just listen for air escaping when I open the valves. If I hear any hissing, I shut the valves, pop the top check the o-ring, maybe lube it with some Vaseline, then put it back together and check again. No air hissing means no leaks. Easy-peasy. If mine are going to leak, it's around the o-ring and air goes out as the water is coming in, so no hissing means no leaks. (At least so far. Fingers crossed it continues.) I always restart with the empty canister (filter material in it, but no water) so lots of water has to go in before it'll leak. If the air goes out into the aquarium and there's no hissing around the pump head, it's a good sign that there won't be a leak.

9 minutes ago, gardenman said:

No. I just listen for air escaping when I open the valves. If I hear any hissing, I shut the valves, pop the top check the o-ring, maybe lube it with some Vaseline, then put it back together and check again. No air hissing means no leaks. Easy-peasy. If mine are going to leak, it's around the o-ring and air goes out as the water is coming in, so no hissing means no leaks. (At least so far. Fingers crossed it continues.) I always restart with the empty canister (filter material in it, but no water) so lots of water has to go in before it'll leak. If the air goes out into the aquarium and there's no hissing around the pump head, it's a good sign that there won't be a leak.

Didn't know I needed that but I feel that will make my life much easier in the future. Thanks.

I have a SunSun 704b on my 60 gallon tank. For the money, I don’t think they can be beat. It has four big baskets to hold a bunch of mechanical and biological filter media. It’s extremely powerful and filters a lot of water. Most of the bad reviews are completely unfounded. Usual bad reviews  are; 1,noisy...yes, the impeller makes noise when it gets dirty or wears out. It’s a big pump, it’s going to make some sound. ...2, leaks...the only time mine leaked was when I got the lid on cockamamie, which is easy to do if not careful. The best part is that it is a really big canister that pumps a lot of water  that can be configured anyway you want for under $100. 

My other canister is a Oase 350 Biomaster. I’ve just had this one for a week or two now but I’m in love. To say it quite is an understatement. A desktop computer fan is louder. It has a removable pre-filter that can be removed and cleaned without breaking open the whole canister. And my favorite feature is the basket handle for carrying it. Love it but $239 😲

I tried real hard to like sponge filters but I just couldn’t fit them into the look. 

9 hours ago, gardenman said:

I only do this for brand new ones.  For maint.  Etc I do the same as you.  

On 1/7/2021 at 10:40 PM, L.W. Wetarm said:

I have a SunSun 704b on my 60 gallon tank. For the money, I don’t think they can be beat. It has four big baskets to hold a bunch of mechanical and biological filter media. It’s extremely powerful and filters a lot of water. Most of the bad reviews are completely unfounded. Usual bad reviews  are; 1,noisy...yes, the impeller makes noise when it gets dirty or wears out. It’s a big pump, it’s going to make some sound. ...2, leaks...the only time mine leaked was when I got the lid on cockamamie, which is easy to do if not careful. The best part is that it is a really big canister that pumps a lot of water  that can be configured anyway you want for under $100. 

My other canister is a Oase 350 Biomaster. I’ve just had this one for a week or two now but I’m in love. To say it quite is an understatement. A desktop computer fan is louder. It has a removable pre-filter that can be removed and cleaned without breaking open the whole canister. And my favorite feature is the basket handle for carrying it. Love it but $239 😲

I tried real hard to like sponge filters but I just couldn’t fit them into the look. 

The removable pre-filter has had me itching for an Oase cannister for months now... Do they use goofy proprietary hoses like Fluval? Very interested in how the Oase treats you over the long term.

19 hours ago, johnjohnjohn87 said:

The removable pre-filter has had me itching for an Oase cannister for months now... Do they use goofy proprietary hoses like Fluval? Very interested in how the Oase treats you over the long term.

The hoses are regular vinyl hoses that are a transparent smoky grey color. My only minor grumble so far concerns the spray bar. It is clear and practically disappears against my black background, except for the white connector that joins the two spray bar pieces together. I cut a piece of the grey intake hose and used it instead and it blends right in. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I loved the idea but no matter what I did it eventually started belching out air. I went through tons of headaches with Oase and replaced the whole unit twice plus a new head, gaskets etc. I found online others having the same issue. I ended up with a larger unit (for free from Oase) but it’s collecting dust. That said, others have said they love them, and when mine weren’t purging air they were super. 

Hi everyone,

I am a fan of the Oase Biomaster thermo filters. I have a 600. I recently  was able to test it against the new eheim 5e series in my 300l (79 gallon) tank with a high bioload and although the eheim performed well, within a month it needed cleaning and reminded me why the pre-filter on the biomasters is such a nice feature. It really isn't much work to just take it out and clean it weekly if you'd like.

Will

I have a fluval 306 ( quite old now) its been pretty fool proof and aside from having to replace the priming lever no issues at all. I think the newer fluvals have better priming handles.  Not massive flow in my set up but my tank is lower than the top of the cylinder so that is due to my set up rather than anything else. On a plus point this filter has been coping well for nearly 10 years with this less than idea set up. 

I am still using the sponges and media it came with so that primer and some new hoses are all its cost me in that 10 years as well.  I just switched the carbon for something else.