What did you get done today?

Cory

I’m still alive this week.  It’s been very busy at work and I’ve gotten 31 hours in between Sunday and yesterday (was scheduled for 24).  My goal is 25-28 hours a week since it’s very intensive ER work and I’m too old for getting crazy hours.  I have one more 8 hour swing shift scheduled today (Tuesday is my “Friday”) and then I can recover for 4 days.  We have a fish Expo and auction this Saturday but I expect to be getting some quality nap time in until then.  😆  I’m still not sure how they’re going to pull off running an auction over top of the hubbub of an expo but that’s their plan.  We’ll know soon enough if it will work.  Wish me luck at work today.  I’m tired of running codes this week.

• Like 3

This isn't really something that I did, but my pseudotropheus elongatus chewere that I'm growing out to breed have started their mating dances a little bit today! I don't think they're quite old enough yet but the males seem to be trying to convince the females 😂

• Haha 3

I received the Fluval 207 for my L numbers breeding tank today and set it up. It's my 3rd 07 filter (got one 107 and now two 207s) so am familiar with how to set it up.... but this one just wouldn't go. Had to take it apart 3 times and it seems the rotor shaft was a bit stuck? Anyway its working after a bit of a fight. No pics

Oh and I re-watched Cory and Dean's unboxing video after Dean's first Peru trip - one of my all time favorites!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Took some very nice photos of my shrimp for a charity project and sent those off. I did the water change on the tanks cleaned the glass and tried hard as I could to actually get the plants to attach to the rocks, all epiphytes in this tank.

.....then I go to check on the tanks at the end of the day, about 14 hours later, and realize I left the light on manual and on full blast the entire day. 

I guess we're doing a blackout for the shrimp tank now.

• Like 1

I took part in a lottery of a WhatsApp group of breeders here in Spain and won a pair of L136B of around 3cm each!!! 

They will arrive somewhere next week! Sex unknown as they are very young but will be looking to expand them to a little group and try to breed them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/14/2023 at 8:13 AM, Ruud said:

I took part in a lottery of a WhatsApp group of breeders here in Spain and won a pair of L136B of around 3cm each!!! 

They will arrive somewhere next week! Sex unknown as they are very young but will be looking to expand them to a little group and try to breed them.

Very nice!  3 cm isn’t bad for a pleco that only gets to 8 cm!  Quick read says to look for more ondontodes on the pectoral fins and a broader head in males.  That’s all I know and Google and planetcatfish.com helped me.  😆 Nice win, for sure!  Hoping you have a true pair!

• Like 1

argues with amazon support about weird products not arriving unused / complete. (so annoying that support chat is a daily convo sometimes.)

swapped out the spraybar from being on end to being across the back of the tan.  I spent about ~2 hours (probably less) sewing together the plastic mesh for the plant wall in the back of the tank.  most of it ended up towards the filter intake and it was time to get things fixed.  I see the shrimp enjoying the new surfaces on the back of the tank and that's awesome.  I saw the blue dude and he was mighty blue!  I hope one day  I'll see baby shrimp out of the culls, but time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/15/2023 at 3:12 AM, Odd Duck said:

Very nice!  3 cm isn’t bad for a pleco that only gets to 8 cm!  Quick read says to look for more ondontodes on the pectoral fins and a broader head in males.  That’s all I know and Google and planetcatfish.com helped me.  😆 Nice win, for sure!  Hoping you have a true pair!

Yup super happy. I think I can find a few more so prob looking to build a group of 4-5 and lets see if I can get them breeding!

• Love 1

On 10/14/2023 at 3:13 PM, Ruud said:

Congrats! I had to look them up to see how they looked 🙃:

IMG_4003.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Yup... those! I had the option to choose between either 1 L236 super white or a pair of L136 - and since I don't like the super whites I went with these. 

I will share pics once they arrive, somewhere by end of the week I think. 

• Like 3

Not doing much today - these 4 pictures are from the same aquarium; they really don't do it justice and i have to work on better technique for taking pictures of larger aquariums. This one is a 4ftx4ft box but it is doing quite well. 

-

From the front:

t4.jpg.37301b010ccc31711efbf82d43439226.jpg

-

Hopefully eventually the plants will fill in to cover up the overflow box in the back but it has only been setup 45 days or so. 

This is a closer up of the red flame near the front. The place where i purchased plants actually sent some rather high quality plants with regards to root stock and this one is taking off - it is too early to say how it will play out over time - if it can keep up the growth or if it will die back a little.

t3.jpg.9db20020ece2023848df73d9000e52cc.jpg

This stringy Echinodorus I think came from one of my old aquariums; the name will come to me eventually - one of the many melon like echinodorus or maybe it is a melon doesn't really look like a melon and it certainly doesn't have any obvious seeds but whatever:

t2.jpg.6ff514daa390418c06ee6d17d3072d28.jpg

The reason for the picture of it - being next to the red flame is usually a red flame will stay fairly small and is fine near the front - the melon sword can at time get quite large and if this realizes full potential i'll have to move it to the back - perhaps in front of the overflow box but only time will tell if it takes off.

This is a picture from the back and you can see how clear the water is because you can see the 29 on the right and the 10x4 on the left - oddly the distortion makes the 29 look almost as large as the 10x4 where in reality i could put almost 16 29 in the 10x4. Anyway the picture was  a poor attempt to show off of my favorite plants - Aponogeton Boivinianus - which has done quite well - not sure if this is the one i ordered or one i transplanted from my 29 - didn't really keep notes - this one is already quite large but you can't tell because of the size of the aquarium - you would not want this in a 10 for sure:

t1.jpg.7719fa670c214d2e8e8089515bf83889.jpg

I just love the rich colour and texture of this plant but you might not. Definitely provides good contrast to lighter green plants or more olive like wenditti.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:26 AM, anewbie said:

Aponogeton Boivinianus - which has done quite well - not sure if this is the one i ordered or one i transplanted from my 29 - didn't really keep notes - this one is already quite large but you can't tell because of the size of the aquarium - you would not want this in a 10 for sure:

Definitely unique, beautiful texture!  I'm excited for you to have 100-150 corydoras in that tank when you're ready!

--------
I woke up today, checked on the fish and looked to my right.  I decided to just break down my old 29G plant only tank and remove the last little bits of susswassertang out of it.  The tank was kept up in case I was going to order fish, but right now I think all of that is either on hold or not going to happen until I can sell things first. 

I ended up deciding to dispose of the tank because it's lived it's life and not worth the hassle of resealing.  The stand that held the tank has my 10G QT tank and that's all I really need on standby right now.  If I do get a plant only tank the goal is to have a 20L or to have a bookshelf style tank that isn't as tall as a 29G.  I already have the lights and the equipment for all that.  I use the stand to hold the CO2 canisters in place and needless to say I just don't have the space to keep tanks up and running in that space.  It'll be nice to regain that stage and clear off the floor/equipment I need to have out!

The next project of the day was to remove my dead house plant and then I decided to repot my ZZ-Plant so the rhizome is not in two separate pots.  Previously the rhizome split on me and the plant itself was just in one large pot.  I did a little research and understood better how I needed to plant it, so I tried to fix both of them.  Fingers crossed I can get them to actually grow now.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:52 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Definitely unique, beautiful texture!  I'm excited for you to have 100-150 corydoras in that tank when you're ready!

Not going to happen; i'll have 30 hastatus; my colony of a. pucallpaensis (approx 14 right now); some otto (around 15) and a group of wavrini when i can find them. That's it for this aquarium. Oh and lots of plants. 

I should take a picture of my upstair aquarium at some point - it has the most adorable group of keyholes; that aquarium is only 72x30 (inches):

xxx.jpg.95ff80c88abb6402d294605f0135fe6a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/17/2023 at 5:42 AM, anewbie said:

Not going to happen; i'll have 30 hastatus; my colony of a. pucallpaensis (approx 14 right now); some otto (around 15) and a group of wavrini when i can find them. That's it for this aquarium. Oh and lots of plants. 

I should take a picture of my upstair aquarium at some point - it has the most adorable group of keyholes; that aquarium is only 72x30 (inches):

xxx.jpg.95ff80c88abb6402d294605f0135fe6a.jpg

@nabokovfan87 don't be sad keyholes are like little kittens bringing joy to all. They just love to play with each other and while another aquarium i have 20ish orange lasers and 30 ish pygmy cory in their aquarium bringing the total between the two aquariums to around 80 cory !

• Like 3

On 10/18/2023 at 1:58 AM, anewbie said:

@nabokovfan87 don't be sad keyholes are like little kittens bringing joy to all. They just love to play with each other and while another aquarium i have 20ish orange lasers and 30 ish pygmy cory in their aquarium bringing the total between the two aquariums to around 80 cory !

For sure! I am just waiting to see a school of "hundreds" of corydoras. It's too majestic. 😂

It's just not the same as a ton of them!!!! I love seeing them do this.

Edited by nabokovfan87

Stowed away more of the clutter from my camping trip.  Opened some of the packages that arrived seconds before I left.

I have been muttering to myself about the poorly designed Aqueon Quietflow filters.  One of the packages included an Aqueon Bio Holster.  Watching a video one day I realized that this piece was missing from both of my filters from day one.

Without this screen, or a modification there was nothing to separate the media from front filter wall.  Most of the water doesn't pass the through the media.

With the holster installed, the water no longer bypasses the media and  I can begin using any media.

It actually was a pretty good filter before this discovery.