What did you get done today?

Cory

On 5/17/2024 at 8:39 PM, Anchor_fist said:

Bought one of these fancy thermometers to put in my planted aquarium. The tank only has plants and pond snails in it so I don't have to worry about it breaking

IMG_20240517_202854310.jpg

IMG_20240517_203012033.jpg

Huh.  I’ve seen those advertised before but never bought one because, . . . . . Cats.  Never crossed my mind to put one inside a tank!  Cool idea!

• Like 1

On Saturday I went to Pioneer West Garden & Pet Center in Centralia, WA. I was really blown away by their selection of fish and plants. They had a nice selection of Co-op items. While I live in WA it's a good hour and a half or more drive to the Edmonds store from where I live. It is so nice having this newly discovered store within a 30 minute drive. Next time I'm there I'll take some pictures but they are very nice and have great looking tanks and fish. Their nursery section of the store is awesome as well. 

• Like 2

Almost made a very tiny fish sandwich out of my female Angel who decided that munching on the emergent growth of wisteria & bacopa is legal compensation for my cutting down her portion of brine shrimp so she doesn't breed again too soon.  She's just so cichlidy sometimes! 

Anybody have a good recipe for tartar sauce? 

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I trimmed/shaped my little boulevard Cypress. I have very little idea what I'm doing here, but attempting to make pompom trees. I will just keep trimming as they grow and hopefully they will look presentable in the future. 

I have two of these. They are next to my tub pond, out on a patio area I've been slowly working on since this was wild, undeveloped land when I moved in. 

IMG_20240616_094340166.jpg.ffb0d55811b3e1710682a5c138c3d0d5.jpg

• Like 2

Caught up on my Coop reading, retested parameters on the small community tank, and found that the last of my Nerites had passed at 5 yrs. 8 months.:classic_sad:  So much for the "up to three years in optimal conditions" theory.

• Sad 2

I consolidated all of my microflora buckets into a gigantic brandy glass.  It's gotta be at least ten liters if not more. 

I've been using little five liter plastic buckets, and visiting various lakes, ponds, and ephemeral pools.  I kept those standing on my balcony, and took out little starter cultures that I had in my windows in clear plastic food containers.  I got a great big bucket for eventually doing a stabilized culture in (primarily daphnia) but I really wanted something to have in my living room that was more like an aquarium, where I could see all the little critters going about their daily lives.  So last night I saw the huge brandy glass in the red-cross store, and I took a morning off from work and was at the door the minute they opened and bought it  (what a steal, like 10 bucks) and put all my established cultures into it.  

So I've got scuds, seed shrimp, daphnia, microworms, some kind of tiny pond snails that don't seem to grow more than 0.5 cm which seems perfect, copepods, some really fast round things that are on the verge of being microscopic (like max 1mm) and which I need to identify still despite spending my entire childhood studying this stuff -no they are not paramecium, and just a plethora of other infusoria.   Also have some different algaes and moss, hornworts, and some plant cuttings from my fish tank that I will get going in the cup, which I basically set up like a walstad.  

I'll put some pictures up once the water settles. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 5:34 AM, daggaz said:

I consolidated all of my microflora buckets into a gigantic brandy glass.  It's gotta be at least ten liters if not more. 

I've been using little five liter plastic buckets, and visiting various lakes, ponds, and ephemeral pools.  I kept those standing on my balcony, and took out little starter cultures that I had in my windows in clear plastic food containers.  I got a great big bucket for eventually doing a stabilized culture in (primarily daphnia) but I really wanted something to have in my living room that was more like an aquarium, where I could see all the little critters going about their daily lives.  So last night I saw the huge brandy glass in the red-cross store, and I took a morning off from work and was at the door the minute they opened and bought it  (what a steal, like 10 bucks) and put all my established cultures into it.  

So I've got scuds, seed shrimp, daphnia, microworms, some kind of tiny pond snails that don't seem to grow more than 0.5 cm which seems perfect, copepods, some really fast round things that are on the verge of being microscopic (like max 1mm) and which I need to identify still despite spending my entire childhood studying this stuff -no they are not paramecium, and just a plethora of other infusoria.   Also have some different algaes and moss, hornworts, and some plant cuttings from my fish tank that I will get going in the cup, which I basically set up like a walstad.  

I'll put some pictures up once the water settles. 

You have a lot going on there.   Be careful, those large brandy snifters tend to be brittle when full.