What did you get done today?

Cory

On 10/2/2023 at 10:59 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve not heard of them being a particularly sensitive species, but I haven’t been successful with any except him.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 😞 

I wish I could get some good photos of luigi for comparison.  I am 99.9% sure she's a female.  Do you have a photo of the pattern on yours or is it a known L number species?  (I'm not sure which mine is)

On 10/3/2023 at 1:08 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I wish I could get some good photos of luigi for comparison.  I am 99.9% sure she's a female.  Do you have a photo of the pattern on yours or is it a known L number species?  (I'm not sure which mine is)

Here’s the best pic I have of his topside from June last year.  I have newer pics but none show his pattern better.  See all the texture on his back half?  Makes me think of the surface of a cat’s tongue.  That’s supposed to indicate male.

IMG_4015.jpeg

• Like 3

I finally hot glued this mesh to the lid (snail safety measure). I’ve been dealing with the annoyance of the mesh pieces falling in the tank every time I open the lid far enough for it to stay open. This requires shifting the lid forward, due to the light position, and where the fold is, etc. There needs to be more decent glass lids on the market than what there are (hint hint @Cory). This lid used to have a vinyl strip but that was equally annoying, hard to cut, and never laid flat. Also once you cut it, you cannot really reconfigure your setup.

IMG_5550.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2023 at 11:20 PM, Odd Duck said:

See all the texture on his back half?  Makes me think of the surface of a cat’s tongue.  That’s supposed to indicate male.

Yeah, definitely has that texture!

I've got two, one is a bit chunkier line pattern (Luigi) and the other is my "fancy one" the brown is more black, but the line pattern looks similar. That's the one that I thought was a flash we were looking at a bit ago. I'm 99.9% sure both are females though.  It's tough when they are sold as just generic fish at the big box store and maybe the name is right.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

Planted the plants I got last night into the 100L tank (see the journal in the photo section), did a water change in the Cube tank, got some peroxide for a spare piece of wood and some stones that I had laying around to get the algae of it

• Like 1

It's a super minor thing, but slightly fun and exciting.

A. New suction cups.

B. New design (better flow?) And I can now just swap diffusers when need be back and forth to keep them clean.

I really like the "low profile" of the new one and that it doesn't hold a bunch of air. It was nice when it worked as a sort of bubble counter, but this one was the 2-3 I purchased and it doesn't really do that as well on this newer order of the old one.

20231003_125944.JPG

20231003_130007.JPG

1.png

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Had Albino Corydoras unexpectedly breed in my 29g tank. I am totally unprepared and lost 50 or so eggs trying to clumsily scrape them from the glass. managed to save 7 eggs. they are now floating in the tank in a disposable storage cup. Will they survive? I highly doubt it, but it was worth a try. Time to buy a breeder box and be a little more prepared for next time.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2023 at 7:37 PM, FLFishChik said:

Had Albino Corydoras unexpectedly breed in my 29g tank. I am totally unprepared and lost 50 or so eggs trying to clumsily scrape them from the glass. managed to save 7 eggs. they are now floating in the tank in a disposable storage cup. Will they survive? I highly doubt it, but it was worth a try. Time to buy a breeder box and be a little more prepared for next time.

@Guppysnail @nabokovfan87

• Like 2

On 10/3/2023 at 4:37 PM, FLFishChik said:

you can use basically anything that will hold water plus an airstone.  Single bubble air diffusion and it'll give just enough flow.  I think I've seen so many methods to try out with eggs, specifically corydoras eggs, I've realized how much I just don't know.

As far as the squishy ones, floating ones, can you take photos?  If they squish, they might have just been eggs (unfertilized).

• Thanks 1

Fed the aquahuna purchased algae shrimp ....some extreme algae flake I got from the coop. 

As suggested on the forum this is an attempt at a polyculture with neocaradina in the floating german breeding ring abive. The spotted congo fry. The intent to have shrimplets for baby puffers when the sizes work out

Screenshot_20231003_201159_VideoPlayer.jpg.41c9e5a9b9d2814b94e554d0640041c0.jpg

One of the F1 spotted congo fry. Still growing just the 4. Post puffer room reset the adult spotted congo group hasnt yet thrown eggs into my collector. Big fan of sitting on the leaves next to a shrimp that left the breeding ring

Screenshot_20231003_201229_VideoPlayer.jpg.9f0a555b137f41a6f0fd65c821d52483.jpg

Another of the four f1 fry. They like tiny snails and whiteworms currently

Screenshot_20231003_201127_Gallery.jpg.143d4734ec65f49c79cccde6042da0d0.jpg

And the four cross rivers got a billiondy'ish 🙂 earthworms tonight 

Screenshot_20231003_201343_VideoPlayer.jpg.181ababd22b405f7706601ae374ab8bd.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_201551_VideoPlayer.jpg.5edf17067d5786b14262144709d6159b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 10/3/2023 at 9:12 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

As far as the squishy ones, floating ones, can you take photos?  If they squish, they might have just been eggs (unfertilized

They weren’t squishy, I’m just clumsy and dropped most of them trying to scrape them off the glass. I’ll have to work on my technique. None were floating- I put the in a disposable storage cup with tank water and floated that inside the tank

Edited by FLFishChik
Spelling
  • Sad 1

On 10/3/2023 at 6:37 PM, FLFishChik said:

You can just coax them to stick to your finger, then coax them to stick to the breeder box.  I either touch my finger to the glass next the egg, then sort of lift a bit and slide at the same time across the egg(s) and the egg will usually stick to your finger.  Then you kind of reverse that action to roll them onto the wall of the breeder box.  I’ve had the best success with the eggs on the wall of the breeder box vs. on the bottom.

I’ve also use an old plastic credit card and press it tight to the glass, coming up from underneath the eggs slowly and lifting the whole egg mass onto the card.  Then I hold my thumb gently over the mass of eggs since the whole group won’t reliably stick to the card when I do this.  Then lift out and into the breeder box and I try to stick them to the side but it won’t always work, for some reason.  Turning off any pumps/filters so there’s minimal flow during this part can help reduce the number of eggs dropped.

I use this method when there’s been a mass laying which my bronzes are known to do.  I got a crazy number of eggs from one particular laying and only collected about 2/3 of them.  They weren’t sticking to the sides of the breeder box and I had a fairly poor hatch rate despite doing a methylene blue treatment the first day and having abundant (well, some, maybe not quite abundant) tannins in the water.  Pics of the literal heaps of eggs they laid last October.  I’ve never seen them pile them up like they did over the course of a couple days.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

IMG_4424.jpeg

IMG_4422.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 4

On 10/4/2023 at 7:42 AM, FLFishChik said:

that’s what my tank looked like Monday morning. Unfortunately, this is all I managed to save and I don’t think these are fertile 

They look like they are!

It's definitely a skill and it's so tough.  I was elated when I got mine to spawn, then I tried to move the eggs to the tumbler and I was in sheer panic and frustration.  I feel for you and the experience you had, needless to say.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

They look like they are!

It's definitely a skill and it's so tough.  I was elated when I got mine to spawn, then I tried to move the eggs to the tumbler and I was in sheer panic and frustration.  I feel for you and the experience you had, needless to say.

If I can manage to master hatching Albino Cory eggs, then perhaps eventually, I'll give Panda's another try.

• Like 3

On 10/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

yeah, my first 30tries at breeding my albinos the eggs just didnt hatch, it gets easier with practice, you figure out your optimal setups as well as learn skills like telling fertile from unfertile eggs.

• Like 1

I entertained our freinds kids, (and their parents), :classic_laugh:..with my wine barrel ponds full of guppies!! :classic_biggrin:  So awesome to see others getting as much fun out of this as I do! They were all very interested in the aquariums. But the ponds were a hit! The hands on (and in):classic_laugh:  was what everyone loved!  Sooo much fun!!

image000005(1).jpg

20230917_163009.jpg

20230913_160641.jpg

• Love 4

On 10/4/2023 at 3:13 PM, FLFishChik said:

If I can manage to master hatching Albino Cory eggs, then perhaps eventually, I'll give Panda's another try.

Hey... if I can do it, you can master it.  🙂  You got this. Corydoras are fun and it's just about the long term.  Thankfully they will spawn again. Just a matter of time.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 10:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Hey... if I can do it, you can master it.  🙂  You got this. Corydoras are fun and it's just about the long term.  Thankfully they will spawn again. Just a matter of time.

Sadly, I did not manage to hatch any. Woke up this morning and they were fuzzy😢. Will try again and be better prepared.

Dang it! I was looking forward to growing my own fish!

IMG_1574.jpeg

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1

Got a new tank .... 60x35x38cm (23.6x13.8x15 inch) and 80L (a little over 21G) 6mm glass and rimless. 

Plan for this one is to keep it mostly bare bottom, put in perhaps a Java Fern or Anubias and I want to have a small colony of small Lnumbers - depending on what I can find here in Spain, perhaps L397 or similar size Hypancistrus or Peckoltia pleco up until more or less 110mm size. I know a source who grows L333 but they might end up a tad big to hold a group of 5

Got a spare Aquclear HOB kicking around, plus this might be a good tank to try again my luck with one of the Ziss filters I have for added bio filtering.

IMG_3342.JPG

Edited by Ruud
Peckoltia, not Panaque.... duhh
  • Like 3

Water change in my cube tank today, added wondershell & did some trimming & removal of floating plants to allow more light. My water wisteria was doing really well, but right after trimming & replanting, it suddenly turned brown & died, I also noticed the lily pads of my dwarf lily started dying and the leaves at the base have all become really tiny, no new pad shoots either. Last week, I did place new root tabs, I hadn't put any more in since initial setup in March, so I'm thinking it was past time. I moved my ricefish into the tank for the winter a couple of weeks ago - everyone seems to be doing well. 

CUBE  100823.jpg

• Like 3