Favorite "Big-ish" Wet Pets

Brandy

I am interested in getting a big-ish, individual fish that is personable towards humans and happy alone in a tank. I have considered as housing somewhere between 40-100g, and I want something "pretty". I get that some people like the look of a flowerhorn, and that personality is great, but the head bump is not my thing. I like colorful fish, and I would prefer an easy keeper that isn't going to be super fussy about...well, anything. So unfortunately that leaves out larger puffers, who again have great personalities (Murphy!).

I was considering larger goldfish, cichlids, want to know what I might be missing, since I have mostly kept small fish thru my life. I have an angelfish, he is a character! I want a fish that notices when I approach the tank and swims forward instead of hiding, like a guppy but big.

Those of you who have kept bigger fish what are your favorites?

Edited by Brandy

40 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I get that some people like the look of a flowerhorn, and that personality is great, but the head bump is not my thing.

I hope it makes you feel better, that I'm not a fan of this either. Lovely fish; but it looks like the bump doesn't belong.

• Like 1

Discus aren't as hard as they are made out to be especially if you raise them from juveniles. By the time they are grown they are totally acclimated to your water and your style of fishkeeping. Discus are my favorites in the personality department. They recognize individual humans (they know me from my wife). I think they recognize individual cats. 

• Like 3

An Oscar is definitely on the short list...They are also abundant here as adoptable discards from people underestimating size, aggression, lifespan. I was hoping for just one big fish, and I feel like Discus might be more social? 

An Oscar sounds like it could be fitting! Rachel O’Leary has great videos showing Captain Crankypant’s behavior. Sadly, he passed away recently. But, he was a very personable fish and displayed the typical Oscar pouting and silliness. When I was younger, we had two Oscars in the household in one of the 170 gallon aquariums. My mom would tell me how they were always very interactive, and how I really enjoyed sitting in front of the tank and watching them day to day when I was little. 

• Like 2

I love my angelfish, best persanilty in a fish I have ever owned. 

Fahaka Puffers are apperiantly little mbu puffers and can be kept in 100 gallons.

Oscars are a great choice.

Potato Puffers are super cute (but if you get one promise you'll name it "ruffels" like the potato chip company)

Fancy Goldfish are super pretty and are really chunky.

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

I think you'd love a big group of angels or discus. 

I also second that you could enjoy a Oscar or green Texas or any of those larger cichlids. 

I actually reckon if you got a 100g a Fahaka are really pretty (may not have tank mates though..maybe..) and he will be a wet pet through and through. 

Flowerhorns, Jack Dempseys, Green Terrors, Viejas, Red Devils, Blood Parrots are pretty cool too. Mine eat out if my hand. 

Is it the large head hump you don't like, or any at all? A lot of large male cichlids develop big nuchal humps, so that may be something to consider too.  If you like the color, patterns, and personality of Flowerhorns, you can always get a female. If I get another big wet pet cichlid, it will be a Vieja Synspilum. Beautiful fish. 

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

An Oscar is definitely on the short list...They are also abundant here as adoptable discards from people underestimating size, aggression, lifespan. I was hoping for just one big fish, and I feel like Discus might be more social? 

If you really want just one fish, then Discus shouldn't be considered. They thrive in groups of at least six. It's not going to be as happy being by itself.

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

a big-ish, individual fish that is personable towards humans and happy alone in a tank

I half-own a blood parrot and she definitely fits that description. Always inquisitive and happy to see humans, very un-fussy, very happy alone (in fact, she insists on that), and very pretty. 

I also have a big fancy goldfish and although it is beautiful and solitary, it is also dumb as a brick and pays zero attention to humans.  I prefer the parrot, even when she tries to taste my hands :) 

• Like 1