Todays been an eventful day. Starting off with cutting my finger on some skis and having to get a jab because they were all rusty making me miss double French 🫠. I’m not all too sad about missing out on the wonders of Renaissance littérature. 
image.jpg.389ca27d9e77d85daecfd54589c7f2f7.jpg

After getting home from school 🏫, I found about 50 Cory eggs stuck to the side of their breeding tote! I’m thinking that a combo of a faulty air pump and 20 Celsius temps are the trick. Basically imitating natural rain. 
IMG_4255.jpeg.07f02d948e10a3b4864d663be016a2c8.jpeg

Final bit of good news, my glowlight fry have finally started to take off! One-handed Sera micron is on the agenda tomorrow morning! 
Stay fishy friends! 

IMG_4257.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/10/2023 at 2:51 PM, JoeQ said:

Do you cull batches (only keeping what you want to re-breed, and euthanize the rest) If so how? If you keep them all where do you put em all!!!

I’d probably sell the surplus (unless they’re visibly unhealthy). I wish I had enough fry to cull! Some danio fry have problems, but I’ve only spotted one so far. 

Surprise BNP fry. Walked downstairs this morning and found these guys hanging on the glass. 
IMG_4266.jpeg.058b0445c082772e772144807a735d98.jpeg

Sadly, it seems that most of my tetra fry have passed. 😕 I can put this down to 2 reasons:

1) Keeping Cory eggs in the same breeder box as the wrigglers, so any potential fungus could have harmed the fry? 
2) Not doing water changes. The fry in the breeder box did a lot better than those in the spawning tank, and I have read that water quality is really important with these guys…

Some points to work on for next time🫠

At least I still have 2 left! 

• Sad 1

Weird weekend. A sense of déjà vu when working on a presentation on the Battle of Marathon. Turns out I’d also done one on the same subject when I was 10 😂. Times don’t change.

I can’t say that shaved legs suit Polo…

IMG_4283.jpeg.c556a1e874a5124035d670cbe6705b92.jpeg

But hey, at least he’s doing a tad better.

BNP fry are a cross between the golden variety and the normal one, and it’s somehow really apparent. 50-60% are gold and the rest are a sort of light brown. 
IMG_4276.jpeg.91350fe1032170493ead6995aa7ab2a2.jpeg

Snow lines creeping down slowly. Ski time ⛷️ 😎 

IMG_4260.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 6:13 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Sadly, it seems that most of my tetra fry have passed. 😕 I can put this down to 2 reasons:

i used to read lots of aquarium books. Some of them addressed breeding this fish, i believe some of them suggested that as a fry this is a photosensitive species. Maybe try limiting or cutting off light for your next batch?

On 11/13/2023 at 12:38 AM, GoofyGarra said:

i used to read lots of aquarium books. Some of them addressed breeding this fish, i believe some of them suggested that as a fry this is a photosensitive species. Maybe try limiting or cutting off light for your next batch?

Ironically the ones with the most light did better than the ones without. I’m definitely going for more water changes with this next batch. Do you think I should keep in trying glowlights or move to black phantoms? 
IMG_4287.jpeg.4352ade2ce460acb9a97afd01e742139.jpeg

@JoeQ your snail trap idea has definitely worked! 

IMG_4291.jpeg

• Love 1

On 11/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, GoofyGarra said:

I recall a member video by co op and they were saying that the fry are tricky to sustain because they are not going to eat commercial foods; you have to have infusoria available like all the time until they get big enough to eat the baby brine shrimps.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 11/13/2023 at 2:51 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

you have to have infusoria available like all the time

I got the go-ahead from my mum to allow daphnia and paramecium into the house, so I’ll give it a shot with the latter.

Small side note: the hobby has to get better at marketing - “water fleas” don’t sound like a nice thing to have in your home! 

On 11/13/2023 at 1:19 PM, JoeQ said:

Whoda thunk it!! Patent pending! 😂

I saw the snails pin up pics of your profile on the side of the tank. Watch out! 

• Like 1

Long week of presentations soon to be over! 
Baby BNPs have joined the zebra juvies in my 15 gal tank. Plants are loving it, snails less so because I snagged 2 more assassins off a friend. 😈

IMG_4307.jpeg.5252970a30f56b66cd0501943f11212b.jpeg

Set up my Black phantoms to spawn last night. I’m so used to failure I’ve almost stopped being pleased that they’ve spawned, but hey… New strategy means new opportunities. The waters closer to 7 because I read that they prefer slightly less acidic water. 

Long day, am typing this with my left hand 😵‍💫

• Like 1

Schools starting to get the better of me. Hey ho… only 5 more weeks till Xmas! 🎅 

Black phantom tetras produced around 3 viable wrigglers, but a lot of fungused eggs. My hypothesis is that the eggs were in the females for so long that they were just sort of infertile anyway. KeepingFishSimple had that problem with his neons so it’s not impossible. Anyway I’m just gonna keep on trying till I get this right! 😵‍💫

Currently musing about not breeding as much fish as I can and just enjoying my tanks. MD Fish tanks on YouTube is definitely to blame 😂! The downstairs 63 gal definitely needs rescaping and my dad says that he’ll contribute if I can make it look nice… what sort of scape would any of you do with a spare 63 gal long? It’s not very wide - only about 12-15 inches (my brains too fuzzy to do conversions 🧠) so that kinda limits options. @Lizzie Block you only seem to do nano scapes, but what would you do with a larger sized tank? 

Also I took the lid off my Endler tank seeing as it was looking pretty tank and my Indian swamp weed is showing some really cool emersed growth I want to encourage. IMG_4336.jpeg.45e8f922121f257f9402e11dead60b25.jpegIMG_4338.jpeg.3e6a98db8dcf9f79f3146ac8be09e70f.jpeg

My sisters want me to get into saltwater. I said it was too expensive and I didn’t know anything. Out of curiosity I had a look for some cheap options (non-existent!) and am sort of on the edge of wether it’s worth a shot or not. 
Either way here’s my weekend photo dump. Take care! 

IMG_4338.jpeg

IMG_4335.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

IMG_4333.jpeg

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
  • Like 4

On 11/19/2023 at 7:42 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

what sort of scape would any of you do with a spare 63 gal long?

I dig this style.  Choose a long piece of wood, any shape you like and add some simple details.  Epiphytes would do well, things that can reach out of the water are a slight added bonus if you want to go that route as well.

It sounds like an awesome project. 🙂

On 11/20/2023 at 3:26 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I dig this style.  Choose a long piece of wood, any shape you like and add some simple details.  Epiphytes would do well, things that can reach out of the water are a slight added bonus if you want to go that route as well.

It sounds like an awesome project. 🙂

I’m liking the sort of sparse idea, but I’m aiming more for an eye-catcher where plants come first and fish second (for a change!). MD Fish Tanks did a really nice one that I’m shooting for. 

IMG_4343.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 10:47 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’m liking the sort of sparse idea, but I’m aiming more for an eye-catcher where plants come first and fish second (for a change!). MD Fish Tanks did a really nice one that I’m shooting for. 

Ah. I understand!  So if you want to have a highly technical scape, visually which layout do you tend to think fits for the space?  (i.e. triangle, island, etc.)