At first she was the only adult shrimp I saw. But then I found others hanging upside down under leaves and inside alcoves in the driftwood.

3 shrimplets here

A5F9D2CF-E096-4F28-B2E8-3282C2A66146.jpeg.59e66c3425c6697de37ebc68e183436c.jpeg

I don’t have the Bacter AE yet due to shipping time, but maybe 2 days ago I put some Repashy powder in. Today there is crab cuisine in there and a catappa leaf that is so soft it is basically falling apart.

ORD they are so small and cute!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Seeing how small the shrimplets are, I decided to move the 2 mysteries out. They could easily smoosh little shrimps with their well-known antics, plus the mulm is getting to be a bit much. So Bon Bon and Goliath are now in the 29. There are 8 big mysteries in there now plus 2 nerites and about 18 fish, and I’m a little worried about bioload. I offered to adopt these two out to a neighbor who has adopted snails from me before. We will see what she says. But for now it’s snack time.

E02B996F-2E85-49B1-96B7-D8719D5F9E83.jpeg.3ee951f470f04080883f1fea803ed72e.jpeg

21B024B3-81E9-4A0A-BB33-CA1DEF51E856.jpeg.2ada3572f13f097659324dbaa837095e.jpeg

Can you believe how much Goliath grew?! He stayed a little pea for the longest time. Bon Bon has neat stripes. I believe she is the only baby that developed that (that I know of - because I adopted a bunch out).

If I don’t get a response I will pick up some hornwort at LFS to add to the tank.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:44 PM, Lennie said:

What is that snack? A snello? Can you share the recipe?

It’s in my signature line (Snello 2). It came out orange because it contains pumpkin and sweet potato. I used a bunch of veggies I had around. Whenever I buy for salads I freeze a few, then I get them out when I make the Snello. The Snello contains calcium carbonate. Next time I make it I think I would use more bloodworms for extra protein.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm… maybe it will be fine. I just tested nitrates; only 10 and it’s been 6 days since water change. Probably because the Aponogetons are loving life in the tank.

On 2/14/2023 at 8:19 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Top right one looks a little black to me.  Just a heads up if you want to move it to the cull tank.

Black can stay. Black and blue are the in crowd. The 2 culls (brown & wild) were never seen again after cull day. I guess they got eaten. No other place to cull to because Geppetto is violent.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 12:13 AM, A3M0N said:

She still seems to enjoy algae wafers more than the snello I made, but she has been eating both.

Hey!

As a suggestion, I had the same issue with my snails. They didn't like my snello at first, so I found success with offering lots of different veggies and seeing what they like! and eliminated stuff like broccoli from the recipe, which they seemed to not like at all.

In that way, when I made snello out of the veggies they like, they love eating the snello. Maybe you can try this too. It is a bit a chore to try everything for a week or two, but once you see the result, snellos are just super easy to feed.

hope it helps,

• Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 5:51 AM, Lennie said:

Hey!

As a suggestion, I had the same issue with my snails. They didn't like my snello at first, so I found success with offering lots of different veggies and seeing what they like! and eliminated stuff like broccoli from the recipe, which they seemed to not like at all.

In that way, when I made snello out of the veggies they like, they love eating the snello. Maybe you can try this too. It is a bit a chore to try everything for a week or two, but once you see the result, snellos are just super easy to feed.

hope it helps,

You can do it over time.  Do like I do, if you buy veggies for salads or sandwiches, or as side dishes, set one or two aside for the snails and see if they like it.  I did it over a month, just offering things here & there.  Keep little notes.  When you find what they like, put that into your Snello.

My snails do not like asparagus, spinach, kale, or swiss chard. 👎

They like zucchini, green beans, squash, cauliflower, broccoli, pumpkin, cucumber, sweet potato, carrots, cabbage, and bell peppers. I'm probably forgetting something, but that can give you an idea of things to try.  Can you tell they are spoiled snails?  😆

• Like 2

I was just too nervous of rabbits not accepting food when I got them, so I constantly tried everything! 😄

Mine loves collard greens, carrots, spinach, pumpkin, zucchini and green beans. I try to find something that rabbits accept, as they are more picky, and I only have a few snails so lots of snello sits in the freezer. Mysteries seem to be less picky, so they enjoy whatever rabbits enjoy in my case :D!

Mine didn't like cucumber! That really seems uncommon. Broccoli and peas were a fail as well. 

I'm just scared to try lots of stuff due to potential pesticides they use. I try to get veggies from farmers market and peel anything I could. I also wash them with vinegar and bicarbonate, hoping it helps to clear a bit just in case. Not sure how much of a help it is. But the term "organic"  is not subject to supervision if I am not wrong. So I can never be sure.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 7:13 AM, Guppysnail said:

Yes those are bladder snails. It is very hard to control their numbers in tank with snails and shrimp when food is always available. 

Yeah.. I am afraid of those, ramshorns, and MTS.

861BEDFC-17FD-4302-9734-92C1DF6EF042.jpeg.a38bd1fb829d48d923b31c0433e973cd.jpeg

I went to remove the old lolly but there is a shrimplet! 😍Maybe I don’t even need the bacter ae 

• Like 1

Yes I never knew ramshorns reproduce worse than any other snail. If I would have known then what I know now I would have never knowingly added them to my tanks. At three worse I removed over 700 just out of the 29 killi tank alone in less than 30 hours. I didn't have a substrate if gravel it felt like all rams. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 9:01 AM, TeeJay said:

Yes I never knew ramshorns reproduce worse than any other snail. If I would have known then what I know now I would have never knowingly added them to my tanks. At three worse I removed over 700 just out of the 29 killi tank alone in less than 30 hours. I didn't have a substrate if gravel it felt like all rams. 

Omg that sounds…..traumatic . 🤯

Their shells are very pretty though. I like the pink ones @Katherine has.