• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Born to be wild!

IMG_7318.jpeg

IMG_7320.jpeg

IMG_7321.jpeg

IMG_7322.jpeg

IMG_7319.jpeg

I haven’t seen any shrimplets lately. I wonder if it is because I have been feeding less. I haven’t been feeding much powdered food at all. I guess I should go back to that. I was figuring when they pick apart the shrimp sticks that would make enough dust to feed shrimplets but maybe not. Also found that the filter wasn’t working well, barely at all. It was the situation where the end of the airline gets loose over time and doesn’t properly seal onto the sponge filter. I snipped the end and reattached and it’s working much better now.

Oh also found some small black worms in the tank(?) during this weekend’s water change.

Multiple females are berried.

One other thing. I keep the light off quite a bit to control the hair algae issue. I wonder if lighting plays any sort of a part in reproduction.

Tonight I fed them “snail cookie crumbs” and they are frenzying over those.

IMG_7324.jpeg

IMG_7325.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 1

On 4/9/2024 at 4:24 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Oh also found some small black worms in the tank(?) during this weekend’s water change.

Hm.... Never heard of anything like this. Might be indicating some predation?

Multiple females are berried.

I had the same thing happen and I couldn't figure out what I was doing. It's really awkward because you see them being saddled and then you see them have everything they need, but you don't see the baby shrimp or eggs. It lasted about 3ish months. I would recommend just verify everything is ok and hold course.  Don't worry about powdered food unless you have baby shrimp. Let the plants develop, clean filtration and all that while it's a bit easier to do so. After that little pause in breeding was when my tank exploded and it's been busting at the seams ever since.

I will have to go back through my notes and see if there was something I did in particular to try to perk them back into dropping eggs, but from memory I think it was just a matter of waiting them out and checking for losses.

IMG_7324.jpeg

IMG_7325.jpeg

Such deep color. Beautiful and seemingly really strong quality.

That line and your shadow blue, black rili is really special!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The sky looked like a painting yesterday morning.

IMG_7390.jpeg.5aa03466f5fd39261a27e922c208a6e5.jpeg

Also I made a tasty cornbread today with some bean & bacon soup. I have been experimenting with our new Instant Pot. That thing cuts cooking time in half or even more. Hard boiled eggs 5 min. Baked potatoes 12 min. It did a good job with chicken thighs, as well as the soup I made today. My husband likes to use it for beef stew. Convenient.

IMG_7401.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 4/10/2024 at 5:11 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

you see them being saddled and then you see them have everything they need, but you don't see the baby shrimp or eggs. It lasted about 3ish months. I would recommend just verify everything is ok and hold course

Finally! I saw 2 or 3 shrimplets today while the adults were tearing up calcium chips and making a bunch of dust. The little ones were nearby trying to eat some of it, I think. This is a good sign!

• Love 1

On 4/25/2024 at 6:50 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Finally! I saw 2 or 3 shrimplets today while the adults were tearing up calcium chips and making a bunch of dust. The little ones were nearby trying to eat some of it, I think. This is a good sign!

That's great! My tank has been feisty with me just due to the weather and the new visitors.  I am totally looking forward to removing the substrate and hoping a thinner layer is the right call here.  Added a heater to the QT tank because it was snowing, now it's boiling hot outside, then I pull heaters and we're back to the low 60's and colder at night.  Oh well!  Heaters are out now and the tanks are doing ok with the up and downs. 

Drop a leaf in and see what you see over the next few days! 🙂 

• Like 1