Nibbles isn’t doing well. A few days of being in the same spot… and Nibbles is usually quite active. He has a green algae or fuzz on his shell as well that wasn’t there last week. I’ve been suffering with the flu for 4 days as well and had to take some time off work to stay in bed. This evening I moved Nibbles from the specimen container tank to the sour cream container for observation, but there is no response. He is so very small that I cannot do the usual odor check or anything. We are talking about a snail the size of a piece of gravel. And with flu-ridden sinuses I doubt I’d smell anything anyway.  I floated the container in the shrimp tank so there is temperature control for him, and if he has passed he cannot foul the water for other inhabitants. I took a photo of his position, and I will check on him again in the morning.

For those of you that don’t know Nibbles’ story: he is an unidentified snail that has stayed a pipsqueak. Before we learned about Reverse Respiration, I used to salt dip new plants, but he survived that. I don’t know if he hatched from an egg in my tank or if he was attached to the plants. Technically I don’t know the gender either, so I just say he because I’ve never seen any egg production or live bearing or anything. But he didn’t have a mate either, so- idk.IMG_4671.jpeg.3d8f0d530b7cdeff6579ec6c4796619f.jpeg

He used to live with the shrimps but had to be moved to the specimen container with a bunch of trumpet snails so I could treat the shrimp tank. That has been his home, and it has a light and a little DIY filter and plants. I supplement with a tiny bit of Repashy powder once or twice a week, and sometimes a little bacter ae. The specimen container gets water tested once a week along with the other tanks as well, and it has algae on the walls for the snails to eat.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

So, yeah- I had to say goodbye today.  😔It was a honor to have met him and cared for him, and I believe he had a wonderful time over the last year in his underwater paradise. 

IMG_4174.jpeg.f403ff5af83dafdc8f80131a6a039a5e.jpeg

IMG_4169.jpeg.6d39a7c806a2dbe5fe47de5688bba757.jpeg

IMG_4667.jpeg.4ef8c41d8caf9a99a4cf369b4e065119.jpeg

IMG_3635.jpeg.13210e9c30cf2fa0987f9f70d90f93e5.jpeg

IMG_3241.jpeg.8a3cb9e802f164e7bfbf38f76bfeb436.jpeg

Now on to happier news, I got my husband a squirrel feeder for his birthday and cuteness ensues..

image.jpeg.52a4817a1fcaf9c2ffd5b84e243b12f2.jpeg

• Sad 3

Aw look at this handsome guy.

IMG_5540.jpeg.92e67245fbb2ba5f3e79a825a28e0bda.jpeg

Wait. What?

IMG_5541.jpeg.0c14e7a9100a7c53922808021929ad71.jpeg

OMG I THOUGHT THIS SHRIMP WAS KILLED! I have not seen it for 1-2 months?!?! I even took its friend out because I thought the friend was the lone wolf.

I watched and there was a definite flare, then a Zooooooooom!! all the way across the tank by the shrimp. Geppetto did not even try to chase it.

IMG_5542.jpeg.0f2c59ff9ed46af476a53ea5bee606c5.jpeg

Well, at least I can add some hides for the shrimp again. Added back cholla and shrimp cave. There is already a mini lotus pod in the tank. Maybe I will add more shrimps later since this is ok w/ Geppetto.

IMG_5543.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Loot haul from Crayfish Empire. They always throw in some freebies (in addition to the free samples I request). Love this small business. 🥰 I figured I would place an order for some shrimp and snail foods since I’m almost out of Repashy. 

Going to try out their shrimp stick, and my shrimps really love these calcium chips. They also sent a sample of Snello pellets - I didn’t know that was a thing. I’m sure the snails will enjoy those. ❤️ 🐌 🦐 

Crayfish Empire’s mission is to prevent calcium deficiency in invertebrates.

IMG_5545.jpeg

• Love 3

I saw a brand new shrimplet in my blue dream tank yesterday.  It has been 3 weeks, which seems like forever, since the shrimp have bred. 3 weeks ago was when I gave about 25 of them to a friend.  I may have upset the remaining colony by sending away their girlfriends, boyfriends, spouses, teenager shrimps, etc...!  Sorry guys!

Also I culled some to the wild tank that have a black blotchy pattern (I call them "inkspot shrimp").   

I did not send away blue dreams that were berried, except one inkspot one which I moved to the wild tank using a container, so she never left water. She did not drop any eggs in the transfer.

Anyway, seems someone in the blue dream tank found some romance, had a fling in there, and now we have a little one roaming about, and probably more siblings in hiding.

I was going to phase out of blue dreams and go straight wild, but I recently discovered that a friend lost all of her blue dreams due to a temperature issue.  Therefore, I will keep this colony going in case she wants to start anew.

• Like 2

Sharing a snail cookie

IMG_5573.jpeg.76b6ce0af0ec083c566b85809b863b18.jpeg

The spirulina shrimp lolly from C.E. Is not a big hit. They like nettle and bee pollen from HarryShrimpStore though. Those would have been absolutely covered in shrimps, pushing and shoving. This one was a free sample, so it’s good to know what they think without having spent money.

IMG_5574.jpeg

I just sat in my PJs and watched the tanks for awhile this morning. It was so nice. Today is the first day I’m not hacking up a lung upon waking. Finally got the Vicks vaporizer out of the closet and used that overnight (why didn’t I do that waaaay sooner? DUH). Almost 2 weeks dealing with flu. So annoying. 

• Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 4:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I just sat in my PJs and watched the tanks for awhile this morning. It was so nice. Today is the first day I’m not hacking up a lung upon waking. Finally got the Vicks vaporizer out of the closet and used that overnight (why didn’t I do that waaaay sooner? DUH). Almost 2 weeks dealing with flu. So annoying. 

Feel better. 😞

Happy to hear about the time and the enjoyment of the tank!

The shrimp lolly is an interesting one. They don't want their veggies. 😂

• Thanks 1

Went to work then was going to go alllllll the way across town to LFS but was weak and drained, so I just went to Firehouse and picked up a sandwich. Getting out of their lot made me go into a big box lot, so I figured what the heck. Go and window shop.

I did for awhile but then I saw a disturbing site, as is common at big box stores. Note: I usually only ever look at their equipment or media, etc - not the tanks. Anyway.  I saw snails that have a bit of pitting and some were perished in the tank. Others were being bullied by parrot fish. I stared for a long time. Took pic. Texted friend. Would she rescue a snail with a sad shell? No response.

I went back to the car and stewed, ate my sandwich, waited for a text back. No response. She is at work. 45 minutes have gone by. Me going through pros and cons of adoption. I want 2.  But I think I should buy 4 in case she wants. She has been having trouble finding them. If she doesn’t like what I pick, I have 4. Higher bioload. Then again my other snails are old. Also should I rescue the other 3ish living snails in that tank?

Anyway, the biggest con of not purchasing would be, I think they’d die. One fish in the tank has ammonia burn.  And again, other snails in there already met their fate.  I prayed for guidance but was interrupted before I could finish the request.. the interruption being the voice I hear “Buy 4 snails.” Very specific, eh?  I wait a few more minutes, check for a text that didn’t come. Then I headed back in.

Here are the rescue kids.

IMG_5581.jpeg.e01c751a1dd19ea9652dcd7926b14162.jpegIMG_5582.jpeg.88d2c9492b460368db36ce42f02b400c.jpeg

I requested separate bags after texting my friend, “I got you snails. They need us.” 😝

And now we are acclimating.

• Like 1

Alrighty 2 snails have been picked up and are going through yet another acclimation. I worry a bit about transporting them twice in a day and going tank to tank to tank. Hopefully didn’t stress the little ones too much. I’m hoping they do well. I gave my friend the packet of Mystery Snail Guardians pellets I had just received, so they have some good nutrition in the days ahead. As well as some calcium chips.

Update: she said they are moving all around exploring as they acclimate, so that’s great. She is doing a long drip for them ❤️🐌🐌 Said she may name them Ebony and Ivory 🤣

One snail that I kept, I felt was the weakest. It only explored within the dish for hours but when we came back from dinner it was on the sand, so it is getting used to the new environment and checking things out. It doesn’t quite know yet it’s in a big tank, and it’s not going to get attacked every 5 seconds.

Everyone is now sleeping. 🌙 

• Thanks 1

Today I moved my MTS to Geppetto’s tank. They had no heater, and we are about to get a cold snap. Plus I just like watching them. I couldn’t really do it very well on that bottom shelf tank.

IMG_5351.jpeg.e3725c7f81db5beb71136831339de9f6.jpeg

I acclimated them for a bit since there is a 7-10 degree temp difference. Then I rinsed out the whole container in Geppetto’s tank.

Here’s how it went. 

IMG_5593.jpeg

IMG_5595.jpeg

IMG_5591.jpeg

He did bite the big one. But then it burrowed, so it is OK.

Here is one of my rescue mysteries. He explored a little, then had to rest, poor fella. Needs to build up his strength.

I can’t presently locate the other one, but it is brown like much of the hardscape. I’m sure I will see it exploring soon.

Update: both kids are moving about.

Juniper (names are completely random):

IMG_5599.jpeg.37006fbf53527609fc9c16e346a1e3f6.jpeg

Cadet (very shy)

IMG_5598.jpeg

• Love 2

On 10/6/2023 at 8:28 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Went to work then was going to go alllllll the way across town to LFS but was weak and drained, so I just went to Firehouse and picked up a sandwich. Getting out of their lot made me go into a big box lot, so I figured what the heck. Go and window shop.

I did for awhile but then I saw a disturbing site, as is common at big box stores. Note: I usually only ever look at their equipment or media, etc - not the tanks. Anyway.  I saw snails that have a bit of pitting and some were perished in the tank. Others were being bullied by parrot fish. I stared for a long time. Took pic. Texted friend. Would she rescue a snail with a sad shell? No response.

I went back to the car and stewed, ate my sandwich, waited for a text back. No response. She is at work. 45 minutes have gone by. Me going through pros and cons of adoption. I want 2.  But I think I should buy 4 in case she wants. She has been having trouble finding them. If she doesn’t like what I pick, I have 4. Higher bioload. Then again my other snails are old. Also should I rescue the other 3ish living snails in that tank?

Anyway, the biggest con of not purchasing would be, I think they’d die. One fish in the tank has ammonia burn.  And again, other snails in there already met their fate.  I prayed for guidance but was interrupted before I could finish the request.. the interruption being the voice I hear “Buy 4 snails.” Very specific, eh?  I wait a few more minutes, check for a text that didn’t come. Then I headed back in.

Here are the rescue kids.

IMG_5581.jpeg.e01c751a1dd19ea9652dcd7926b14162.jpegIMG_5582.jpeg.88d2c9492b460368db36ce42f02b400c.jpeg

I requested separate bags after texting my friend, “I got you snails. They need us.” 😝

And now we are acclimating.

Congrats on doing the right thing 😊

• Thanks 2