@Katherine this one’s for you.

10CD82A3-2587-4D74-B986-275601E9252A.jpeg.d52cf39b8e355f02d561738fb7bcc28d.jpeg

And @nabokovfan87there are, I believe, TWO black shrimp. Also sometimes it appears there is a white or silver stripe running on top, the length of the shrimp. Then a grayish one which is the shrimplet. Black shrimp and shrimplet here:

000586B1-3F35-4B68-9294-DBCB50EACC5E.jpeg.3dd20cc31247c7ea49c05aa73f1a1695.jpeg

I found a molt today but I don’t know if it may have been a shrimp that past because it had that reddish pink look to it. I removed it.

Also, a female is berried!  For sure this time. Because not only do I see the fanning I saw before, but I can see the eggs. So now I know the eggs are black.

7EA3C956-B745-4BC4-9346-5806051F067D.jpeg.6ce6f74f7a186c3a10362aa9d8f7d87f.jpeg

I think the previous fanning I saw a few weeks ago was her “practicing”.

She must’ve found a boyfriend when I recently added more males to the tank.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 3

On 1/27/2023 at 4:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I am supposed to leave for work in like 10 minutes and I am still at the fish tank in pajamas looking at shrimp. Story of my life. LOL

I’m just fascinated by these little creatures.

#nermlife

Very good! 😂

Are you planning to cull the off color ones to a different tank?

Mama shrimp hangs out in different spots in the tank, but always upside down. She doesn’t want to take the chance of dropping her eggs. She got startled by another shrimp the other day and bolted, but instinctually embraced the eggs. I wonder if she has done this before. Before I adopted her. Does anyone know the timeline for incubation-to-hatch?

• Like 1

Snoopy 🥰

my big guys operculum slowly deteriorated the last 8 months or so of his long life. He ate very high protein and calcium his entire life. 
I have an off the wall theory. 
Though they can live up to 3 years in the wild (my guy was over 2) I think it’s like humans. The ? Telomere ? End strand of the dna start breaking down as we get old and our bodies don’t heal right or grow more etc. (grain (tablespoon/bucket🤣) of salt on my biology knowledge please) 

I don’t really think snails are meant to live long lives. They would crazy overpopulate even in their natural environment where they are a food source. 

• Thanks 1

I shined the light on the black shrimp, and he could be navy blue???  I am not sure. 

A4CE140D-3B42-4890-80A1-7EFF5B585B34.jpeg.da5042bbc90bf7f339c7ae6a97606658.jpeg

Then there is this guy. Is he wild type??? @nabokovfan87 @Minanora @Guppysnail

A5E79F68-E080-4AE2-A46A-E27A3854CEEA.jpeg.3c75dcfae2190e50e9b3e4d0fc493bbc.jpeg

And then here is the brownish guy that was culled yesterday. He was immediately at the Repashy as soon as I dropped it in. Glad to see he fits in with the community fish.

66D40786-F4CB-4155-AE8A-9280A3F51E6F.jpeg.990ef2c362c64f02d6be28eafd484c7e.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 7:28 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Then there is this guy. Is he wild type???

Yes. 100%.

On 2/4/2023 at 7:28 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I shined the light on the black shrimp, and he could be navy blue???  I am not sure. 

Looks black to me. I don't see any brown or blue. Not royal, just black.

Ok, wild type went to join his buddy in the 29g community tank. I am certain Snoopy saw him, but she didn’t care and just went about her business. I watched the 30 minute blue dream culling video but he didn’t address black shrimp, so I went back to this one to reconfirm the black ones he leaves in there with the blue dreams. I am kind of beside myself with this; irritated that the LFS sold me various kinds of shrimp. Hence, no idea who my berried female mated with. 

Anyway.. my next question is what do I need to know about caring for the shrimplets when they are born? @Minanora 

ALSO- How do I do my maintenance on the sponge filter? Don’t they hide in those?

P.S. I like how Mark uses ceramic rings as shrimplet caves.  I wouldn’t mind getting a lotus pod though. They look pretty cool.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:58 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Anyway.. my next question is what do I need to know about caring for the shrimplets when they are born? @Minanora 

MST's recommends powder foods. He uses a blender bottle with bacterAE and a clay mix.  I would imagine doing the same thing with repashy powder works well.  The one I'd use for shrimp is..... Soilent Green + Super Gold.

I would try to feed them repashy or wafers (small amounts but broken up, or pellets that you can spread around.  If the shrimplettes are basically ignoring it then you'd want to try to have a powder food available.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2023 at 2:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

MST's recommends powder foods. He uses a blender bottle with bacterAE and a clay mix.  I would imagine doing the same thing with repashy powder works well.  The one I'd use for shrimp is..... Soilent Green + Super Gold.

I would try to feed them repashy or wafers (small amounts but broken up, or pellets that you can spread around.  If the shrimplettes are basically ignoring it then you'd want to try to have a powder food available.

I’ve been wanting to get some bacter AE anyway for the king Koopa nerite in Geppetto’s tank. I shortened the lights but algae is his food. I had more algae than I’d like.

• Like 1