i never used the powder calcium   before i might have to do some study on how much to use  and try it 

i have been using a combination of liquid calcium  and egg shells in all my 3 tanks  i do not mind the shells in the black sand  i use the liquid 1-2 drops in their rapashy  food  

I put in a very small 2-3 handful shells per week but i have been adding a little extra calcium  in the water every 2 -3 weeks 1-2 ml  in the main 55 gallon  tank and 1/8 -1/4 teaspoon in the 10 galllon shrimp tank and i noticed  a big difference in the shrimp and snails color and shells   even Goldie’s the king and oldest   shell it looks lots better  i do not put in the dose the bottle calls since they figure it for saltwater  use ,, that works for my tanks and crappy water 

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea love the penguin shape mine gets 2 -3 little rapashy cube shape in a Christmas present with bow  lol 😂  have to put 3 cubes in for my cories and bristolnose  to get some  my snails are little  🐷 i  make home made chocolate and had a older mold  that i do not use it works well for the rapashy 

I got good news from my fish guys  Dylan and Ken i went to town and stop by there to get a few products  found out they do not have very many local suppliers of the magenta snails  both said they mostly has white , blue and gold and they said they would  take mine if i decide to hatch any ,, plus they have request at times for them  

that is good news for  me later on  I really  want to keep my magenta ones going in my tanks they are gorgeous and very entertaining to watch ,, and i only want to keep so many at a time

I told them i could even try to hatch one clutch just for them  if they are completely  out of the magenta ones  i have  at times 2-3 clutches per week So i might consider to be snail breeder at times  ,, 😂   i could use my  quarantine tank at times for a nursery  tank .,,  I am still thinking it over ..

he said he would give me plants, fish , food or products in return and that is ok by me ,, I know the mystery snails will be sold to love as pets i know they  will be sold safely   because they raise and sell separately pest snails for fish feeder foods 

Edited by Bev C
  • Love 2

On 1/6/2023 at 10:55 AM, Bev C said:

i never used the powder calcium   before i might have to do some study on how much to use  and try it 

i have been using a combination of liquid calcium  and egg shells in all my 3 tanks  i do not mind the shells in the black sand  i use the liquid 1-2 drops in their rapashy  food  

I put in a very small 2-3 handful shells per week but i have been adding a little extra calcium  in the water every 2 -3 weeks 1-2 ml  in the main 55 gallon  tank and 1/8 -1/4 teaspoon in the 10 galllon shrimp tank and i noticed  a big difference in the shrimp and snails color and shells   even Goldie’s the king and oldest   shell it looks lots better  i do not put in the dose the bottle calls since they figure it for saltwater  use ,, that works for my tanks and crappy water 

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea love the penguin shape mine gets 2 -3 little rapashy cube shape in a Christmas present with bow  lol 😂  have to put 3 cubes in for my cories and bristolnose  to get some  my snails are little  🐷 i  make home made chocolate and had a older mold  that i do not use it works well for the rapashy 

I got good news from my fish guys  Dylan and Ken i went to town and stop by there to get a few products  found out they do not have very many local suppliers of the magenta snails  both said they mostly has white , blue and gold and they said they would  take mine if i decide to hatch any ,, plus they have request at times for them  

that is good news for  me later on  I really  want to keep my magenta ones going in my tanks they are gorgeous and very entertaining to watch ,, and i only want to keep so many at a time

I told them i could even try to hatch one clutch just for them  if they are completely  out of the magenta ones  i have  at times 2-3 clutches per week So i might consider to be snail breeder at times  ,, 😂   i could use my  quarantine tank at times for a nursery  tank .,,  I am still thinking it over ..

he said he would give me plants, fish , food or products in return and that is ok by me ,, I know the mystery snails will be sold to love as pets i know they  will be sold safely   because they raise and sell separately pest snails for fish feeder foods 

That’s awesome! One LFS I will not sell to because they have mystery snails in with turtles and it seems like they were getting hurt. The other LFS I really trust didn’t want snails. 😢

• Like 2

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeaI do not blame you   i would not let my store have them if they did not watch what they did ,,

i got very lucky with fish shop and guys  that is why i travel 2 hours  to visit  ,, usually i go when i go to town but they are very small and do not carry allot supplies or fish or plants  except for what sold most or for that area Our water is very hard and crappy here  ,, but if you are looking  for something special they can order for you if they can get it ,,  

they keep their tanks  very clean and never see a dead fish like in the big box stores 

plus they   quarantine treat their fish  and get weight on them before selling and plus offer a refund or exchange if a fish  dies up to 10 days of buying ,, I have been going there for 15 years and only had 1 bad fish buying experience,, they gave me replacement fish for the one i lost  after 5 days being home ..

plus they have one 40 gallon tank just for mystery snails  and they have 2 pest snails separate 20 gallon tanks with a sign that says only for fish food feeding 

i wished they would partner with Aquarium Coop they treat their  fish and customer very well  like ACO does 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Did a little redesign to the shrimp tank. Added black background. Removed extra filter. Added pretty slate to hide equipment.

9F3F228D-B990-4549-B2EF-0DF2475FB1EB.jpeg.ab0b2adc312e7a4aa7aba29e4aa1f26b.jpeg

Before:

3F4CA57F-5E27-421A-A56C-DA3E46A7CA72.jpeg.325e85e307410ced507718e9b8fe8224.jpeg

After:

E541686C-5BEF-4566-AA0E-1A71D018A889.jpeg.6070aca961b682e4943cb38cca6f5868.jpeg

0B4EAF6D-A639-425D-BE4E-71D689C94236.jpeg.f458d18f972d67884283d88c49b57bf0.jpeg

D525D18F-521F-4EC9-A9F4-50A3A063FE63.jpeg.8667cb5ae2db375e1b867326dc79e3cf.jpeg

Nibbles’ shell used to be black with whitish-gray dots, now it’s more of a light gray/white color. He’s still the same peppercorn size.

3B8A00E1-06A8-455E-BFF6-D54385040340.jpeg.8d2462bbef423bfd8b523e3fec69e069.jpeg

All of this kicked up a lot of mulm so I ended up siphoning out 1g mulm/water into a white bucket, and dripping the replacement water in. Carefully checked the water removed but could not detect life with a magnifying glass and flashlight, other than the ostracods.

image.jpg

70858AE9-53B3-4BC5-B9A4-EB06D5196A47.jpeg

71762C6F-3ED3-40DE-8AEC-2BAA6F0477F8.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
Spacing
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

It won't let me quote the video, but yeah, he's a fun fish, and it's nice to see you to interact!

I almost walked out of the big box store with a betta this morning.  Was stuck at the store for 2+ hours after than, and then other errands on top of it.

Not my "style" of betta but this dude was pretty epic.  There was also a female that captured my attention before anything.

She was smaller, baby blue and this very vibrant royal blue color.  Little female that was about an inch or so long.

Then I saw the male on the right edge, WOW.  He was blue, slowly turning teal, red was also popping into color.  It was a plakat, and my guess is that he would've ended teal and red as the final colors.  Just looked really good.  He was the only one on the end and I didn't want him to get bumped or have that fear of a shadow walking up so I moved him to the center where he could get some sight breaks, less stress than being so exposed.

If I had a tank for em ready to go, totally would've ended up with him (or her).

• Like 1

Sometimes nerites will do weird things that concern me, then the next moment they are cruising around again. One time my zebra nerite was on his back writhing around and was gripping a bunch of sand in his foot. I thought he was dying or suffering. Then he dug a little hole, and then resumed cruising the tank and cleaning glass as usual (?)