On 1/18/2023 at 4:51 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I moved this rock to the shrimp tank and it is undergoing routine inspection as all new things do. It also has yummy algae.

The big box store has these for 25% off those rocks right now.  Online at least.  I don't know if that's helpful but thought I'd mention it. 

Very cool.  I can't imagine a shrimp  tank without them going over rocks and hardscape all day and little shrimplettes hiding around them.  Lava rock has a good texture for them I would think.

On 1/18/2023 at 1:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Well now I just feel bad for the flowers.  Did you do a ton of prep to clean them?

There weren't any flowers in there.  It was just dirt.  My parents are not the landscaping type. Hehe.  I put in some plants for them and in the process of digging, I found the rocks.  And one cats eye marble.  Score!  Anyway.  I took the rocks home (there were just 2) and I put them in a bucket. Did the ol' nitrate drop test to ensure tank safe.  Poured boiling water over them a few times, scrubbed them w/ a toothbrush, then hydrogen peroxide.  Then I rinsed in tap water.  

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 10:35 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Do you have a lot of algae in the tank that they might be eating instead?

There's not a ton of algae, what's there doesn't really bother me all that much. What kind of algae do mystery snails eat? They don't eat BBA or staghorn correct? Mine sure didn't help me any if they do! I bet there's algae hiding down in the "depths" of the stem plants and that's why he's always down there hiding, he's gorging on algae (hopefully)! 

On 1/18/2023 at 4:38 PM, A3M0N said:

There's not a ton of algae, what's there doesn't really bother me all that much. What kind of algae do mystery snails eat? They don't eat BBA or staghorn correct? Mine sure didn't help me any if they do! I bet there's algae hiding down in the "depths" of the stem plants and that's why he's always down there hiding, he's gorging on algae (hopefully)! 

Mine eat hair algae, green spot algae, and brown diatoms.

• Like 1

I gave the snails half of the Snello they usually get. Let’s see how they do with this portion. With the previous portion they overate and became lethargic. I also pushed some pellets into the snello for an extra protein boost, in addition to the bloodworms the Snello contains.

I saw the shrimplet trailing behind a female today, like a little duckling follows the mother duck. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Question about your snail-o...

Has anyone tried doing their own spirulina tabs? I'm thinking it would be something like the pure spirulina powder, some minerals, some stuff to make it a tablet / gelatine, and then maybe some garlic or something.  Anyone tried anything like that or been successful with it? For an omnivore, I think they'll do well with it!

I seriously don't understand why it's so hard or why Sera changed the recipe.  Closest thing I found was kelp wafers, not spirulina 😞 .

On 1/23/2023 at 10:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Question about your snail-o...

Has anyone tried doing their own spirulina tabs? I'm thinking it would be something like the pure spirulina powder, some minerals, some stuff to make it a tablet / gelatine, and then maybe some garlic or something.  Anyone tried anything like that or been successful with it? For an omnivore, I think they'll do well with it!

I seriously don't understand why it's so hard or why Sera changed the recipe.  Closest thing I found was kelp wafers, not spirulina 😞 .

Yes. Gelatin, spirulina powder, I mix in veggies sometimes, I’ll add fish food for different kids I make it for. It works fine but pure spirulina tends to release a decent amount of ammonia. 

• Like 1

So, I have blue dream shrimp. That’s all I have, that’s all I bought.

38EF34A6-EAD5-480D-A62B-55F97E001CC7.jpeg.7a7af71bbd0632f6a04f452a7d131fa3.jpeg

Then…. who is this guy?!  He is a black shrimp!

3594696E-9C43-4476-9DA6-E8F61B1E54D4.jpeg.d158c7e7e8a4a016c79465bfeb36540e.jpeg

DC070680-641A-4A9B-B9A8-4B25854D0FAA.jpeg.16227e5aa8b31878d270f86c57dbc30e.jpeg

Also, it looks like he has reddish mandibles. I don’t think that is food based on how it moves. I’m confused?!

I sure hope this is not a juvenile crayfish or something. @Minanora @nabokovfan87 @Guppysnail

Also Button & Nibbles climbing slate mountain.

408AC3BB-804B-479E-878D-E3D7C1C58F50.jpeg.bdbddd81399e0ef2e283f50b677413d5.jpeg

I didn’t feed anything today except banquet block.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 6:06 PM, Guppysnail said:

They will throw off color babies

This can’t be a baby. This is just as big as the adult males.

What do you guys think about the mandibles? Do they seem reddish-orange based on the 2nd video or do you think that is something else (food)?

Also, my purchased shrimplet is still in there. Shrimplet is like a gray color. Shrimplet is smaller than this guy. I was able to compare them.

I just purchased 4 shrimp. They must have given me one that was not blue and I didn’t inspect close enough.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 1/24/2023 at 3:51 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

What do you guys think about the mandibles? Do they seem reddish-orange based on the 2nd video or do you think that is something else (food)?

Yeah that's a weird looking thing. It looks like it has some black colored appendages by its mouth.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:58 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Based on the chart, he will produce a blue dream shrimp.

Right, it's probably one of those dual recessive gene traits so if this is the first you've seen, it speaks to the mix of genes. I, personally, would pull that shrimp to a different tank and just see if you have any more.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:51 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Also, my purchased shrimplet is still in there. Shrimplet is like a gray color. Shrimplet is smaller than this guy. I was able to compare them.

I just purchased 4 shrimp. They must have given me one that was not blue and I didn’t inspect close enough.

Could be classified and labelled as one, but is just a weaker color strain that throws off more strays. Hard to say. There are basically two methods... Keep the colony you have and cull out bad ones, or you hand pick what you want to start a new colony and then do the above.

Either way it's just culling / sorting / grading. Some go as far as leg coloration, pattern, and quality of those traits, others might not, but it's all the same "morph".