On 2/26/2023 at 8:10 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i have 5 in a 2.5gallon tank,

PH 7.2

hardness is through the roof

ive had them for a few weeks now, males and females.

It took mine a few months to get comfortable and mate. I had added more and had 7 shrimp before they found mates.

—-

Whattt the heck? Like 12 eggs?

@Guppysnail

51539EB8-C23F-47C5-98A4-CD46091D260B.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 2

On 2/27/2023 at 7:58 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

It took mine a few months to get comfortable and mate. I had added more and had 7 shrimp before they found mates.

—-

Whattt the heck? Like 12 eggs?

@Guppysnail

51539EB8-C23F-47C5-98A4-CD46091D260B.jpeg

I get this from my girls if they have not mated in many months. 

edit I have gotten this from young ones also

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 8:26 AM, Guppysnail said:

I get this from my girls if they have not mated in many months. 

edit I have gotten this from young ones also

I don’t know who’s not mating. Seems they are all pretty “busy”. Then again I think only one of the 8 is actually male. He’s the only one I’ve ever seen doing adult snail things w/ the ladies. The other snails are younger than he is so maybe they are not “romantic” yet. I don’t really try to sex my snails, I just go with it.

I was looking at the tank yesterday and all of a sudden something was flying from left to right, it went halfway across the tank, near the top. It was Romeo!  He has his foot all the way spread out and he had air in his shell and was riding the surface agitation. 🤣 At the halfway point he released some bubbles and parasnailed down. What a clown!  He’s the biggest snail so the whole caper was NOT very subtle!

• Love 1

On 2/27/2023 at 8:49 AM, Guppysnail said:

I when when they are in tanks with sponge filters and ride the bubbles. I once heard tap click tap click and went to check it out. The bubbles kept clanking one against the glass. He then spread himself out and drifted away from the bubbles. 

If that sounded loud to you, I wonder how it sounded to the snail!  😂 mystery snails are so funny.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:59 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Huge! (Or is it just the zoom?)😏

Yeah! It’s a big shrimp. Definitely female. I’m confused as to why the shrimp is so blue? only 2 shrimp I culled. 1 was wild type and one was reddish-brown. Color development took time? 

2DAA1AFF-6428-4F59-9B47-6D5B828DC7EF.jpeg

C3887463-6637-4BA1-9685-E21484826F1F.jpeg

On 3/1/2023 at 5:44 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Color development took time? 

Stress too can cause issues.

Keep in mind that color changes as they molt. So some blue hues might be intense right after molting. With the amanos they change from clear to black/dark grey/mahogany brown when they are molting and holding one.

On 3/1/2023 at 5:44 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

C3887463-6637-4BA1-9685-E21484826F1F.jpeg

I'm gonna end up with some wilds. I'm excited to have them with the amanos. They look cool. Very unique patterns.

On 3/1/2023 at 4:48 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Beautiful big shrimp. That's awesome. She'll probably spend a lot of time in that area. That's her hood.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:41 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Beautiful big shrimp. That's awesome. She'll probably spend a lot of time in that area. That's her hood.

Since she’s nice & blue I will probably uncull her, or, since there is a berried female in the shrimp tank now, I can just leave her be and give her a cholla.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:13 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I bought 8 green jade ones at a fish swap 2 weeks ago - have only seen one since! 🤷‍♂️

They are sneaky ninjas!

4790799E-011D-4C09-B1F2-BF73CB7E1CE8.jpeg.5ae35afa7f090bdb19d5ca8aadfa907a.jpeg

32ED9CA2-3838-46BD-808C-3F6E3FD6F694.jpeg.bcf14e9e0c971d32c376fc32595e934e.jpeg

The sponge filter above is getting pretty clogged but I have seen shrimplets in it so I am not comfortable cleaning it.

Two weeks ago I added this sponge. It was floaty when I first added it, hence the rock. I used the co op base and was able to buy just the fine sponge for 5 bucks at LFS. I’m more comfortable with this one, for shrimp. See the little guy below?

419C3A8C-66EF-4487-8AF3-DD5D7D33BB6E.jpeg.e2ff1c9679030fd14aa54d250a98c664.jpeg

I plan to remove the coarse one entirely in another 2 weeks and do a thorough inspection for shrimplets in the bucket when I clean it. I will probably relocate it to the 29 and run it there just in case any would be still inside. Better option than letting it dry out. I always run a coarse one in the 29 anyway for quick quarantine setups or to run in case of a power outage. (Think one month is good enough for the new one to seed?)

Did a 20% water change on this tank today as well (drip).

The tank has more noticeable microfauna since I added just the small dose of bacter ae. One copepod was sacrificed when I removed some leftover food with a turkey baster earlier this week. I know because I was using the magnifying glass to look for shrimplets. Sorry, copepod, but I don’t know how to catch you. I also have the rare sighting of a detritus worm; never more than one seen at a time. And I have ostracods. Always had these creatures and limpets even before bacter ae. But now I see them more and there is something else in there that is a little bigger that jumps or hops; best way to describe it. Seems bigger than an ostracod though. Not sure what it is, unless it is just a wee little shrimplet that got startled by a tankmate.

• Like 1