On 3/11/2023 at 6:28 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@nabokovfan87 can’t keep his hands off filters. They’re slimy and disgusting; I hate touching them

Just finished cleaning another one. Riddick (likely a she) is very happy now. Still recovering. Still got some eye issues, but she is still awesome and fun to spend as much time as I can with. The swordtails need a poo net. That's for sure.

The trick is..... If you clean them they stay clean and not as mucky!

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 9:28 AM, Theplatymaster said:

im still jealous of everyone's baby shrimp

all i get is dead shrimp😞

what are they eating?

Hikari shrimp cuisine.

Earlier in this journal you will find the struggle I had with starting @Theplatymaster. Getting started was hard and I had die offs. Forum members suggested this is normal with a new colony.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 3/12/2023 at 12:36 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Forum members suggested this is normal with a new colony.

how do you get an old colony, if the entire colony dies in a few months?

im trying to find more near me cheaper then my LFS has them, but ive had no such luck yet.

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/12/2023 at 12:42 PM, Theplatymaster said:

how do you get an old colony, if the entire colony dies in a few months?

im trying to find more near me cheaper then my LFS has them, but ive had no such luck yet.

You have to buy a good number of them to start. It is survival of the fittest. I drip acclimate for 90 minutes.

I bought 8, half died, bought 4 more, and then I found that the females were berried shortly after.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 3/12/2023 at 1:21 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You have to buy a good number of them to start. It is survival of the fittest. I drip acclimate for 90 minutes.

I bought 8, half died, bought 4 more, and then I found that the females were berried shortly after.

i got 6, i have 2left, and im still trying to find some more cheap near me.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:41 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I still think you’ll be ok with adults, if that’s what’s available to you, you just need to have enough of them to get the colony going.

yeah well, getting enough is also an issue with my LFSs pricing...

im hoping for a better price from a local breeder, as appose to the LFS,

On 3/12/2023 at 6:45 PM, Theplatymaster said:

mine are $6 each, but a 2 for $10 deal.

the other store in my area has them for 11.99 each, and i was like bleep no.

Wow 11.99! That’s crazy. I remember ghost shrimp used to be 10 for $1. I think because they were looked at as feeders. But I don’t like ghost shrimp because I can’t ever see or find them. I guess if they were on black substrate it would be ok.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:47 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I remember ghost shrimp used to be 10 for $1

my grandfather has a 10gallon mutt guppy tank, its been going for decades, he just changes water occasionally and feeds.

when he started that tank, he got 10feeder guppies for $1, now guppies are like $6.

that being said those guppies have NO market value as they are SUPER inbred, and if moved would probably crash, due to how acclimated they are to his water.

• Like 1

Hmm so I found that a shrimp had died; it looked like either a teenager shrimp or a small male(?)

Was sort of rushed but I removed that shrimp and did do a quick ammonia test which was zero. Also I found some shrimps eating this which could be a (different) small shrimp or a molt, or a piece of leftover bloodworm from yesterday that had paled. Do you think they would eat a molt?

Horrible shaking on the video, sorry. Like I said, was rushed. At one point the object turns over and it looks like it has a shrimp tail.

On 3/13/2023 at 1:47 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Wow 11.99! That’s crazy. I remember ghost shrimp used to be 10 for $1. I think because they were looked at as feeders. But I don’t like ghost shrimp because I can’t ever see or find them. I guess if they were on black substrate it would be ok.

Wow. I can get 40 neocaridinas for $11 from lfs.

or 20 from a good breeder

Edited by Lennie

On 3/14/2023 at 4:10 PM, Miska said:

I just saw ghost shrimp at HoT for 10 for a buck! My friend is considering it for a tank. 

Aren’t these normally even considered as “feeder shrimp”?

10bucks. Oof

I mean as long as your friend like it. They are mostly carnivorous if I am not wrong, right?