On 3/31/2023 at 8:50 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Was in the LFS and saw Kratoses. Next thing you know I’m picking one up for a friend who geeked out when I texted her.

D8E7F1F6-CDCF-48B3-BA0A-B2CC02039C89.jpeg.9250a780d1ff0f1c6c74b10557cd6185.jpeg

11F4AFA9-D856-4193-96B1-28DC3519330C.jpeg

66926A1C-68C1-426A-8AE8-F550ED7E2CD9.jpeg

Oh no, kratos number two is already sleeping in the bag. Perfect duo :3

Is this the Atreus, as the other one is Kratos 😄

With 'Ragnarök,' 'God of War' Keeps Growing Up | WIRED

• Thanks 1

I took this during my tanks siesta time. My snails are more active now that I have crushed oyster shell I added to my tanks.
They moved daily but are more active now which makes me feel I’ve made their home better! 

The shrimp I have in another tank seemed happier too with the extra calcium running around like they used to. 

9B52A4C9-8E9C-4AAA-AD01-B08E71E9DF75.jpeg

• Love 1

On 3/31/2023 at 2:29 PM, Cmike15 said:

I took this during my tanks siesta time. My snails are more active now that I have crushed oyster shell I added to my tanks.
They moved daily but are more active now which makes me feel I’ve made their home better! 

The shrimp I have in another tank seemed happier too with the extra calcium running around like they used to. 

9B52A4C9-8E9C-4AAA-AD01-B08E71E9DF75.jpeg

Cute little guy.

Friend came to get her snail then was like, omg! Let’s go to the LFS! Meanwhile I just paid for a co op order AND went to the LFS this week. ($$$!) 😳 But eh. This was a different LFS. Anyway, we split some hornwort and both got some dwarf water lettuce. Both in RR now. I sent her home with a bottle of seltzer and taught her the method.

She’s excited to have bought a red racer nerite, a tiger nerite, and a freshwater clam. 

A9A70D87-C5BE-4F76-9952-42AE736B6110.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 1

I had some Java moss left over from my Walstad jar project, so I gave the rock some hair. The barber has shown up - see him? 

61273E20-47A1-4EDE-8F1D-B62504FDB50C.jpeg

The nitrate helper (hornwort) has been added to the 29g.

2F2E9B44-2864-4076-BEE4-0EE51E3ECEE3.jpeg.f9095d5aa07a67e7b6f3f3b18803bcd9.jpeg

And a quick & dirty underwater glue job of the little Java fern. It’s a smaller one but healthy and cute.

464940E3-73AF-4CB9-AAD4-040F1F22102F.jpeg.158fb929bb2f528c5af7310961453c9f.jpeg

Geppetto got leftover stems (moneywort) from the Walstad jar project as well as some dwarf water lettuce.

DD297D12-ED1F-4168-B390-84C636B8DD47.jpeg

4E6D82E1-AA76-4FB9-9F9D-C702D8155366.jpeg

F432FA14-1063-4C86-A222-9114384E843B.jpeg

• Love 2

On 4/3/2023 at 12:29 AM, Cmike15 said:

do all the veggies have to be blanched first?

I'm on my first batch of mystery snails and wondered. That one is a nice bright color!

Blanching helps them sink in the tank! Also in my experience, snails like the slight mushy texture more and makes it easier to eat for them compared to something fresh.

I personally always blanch my stuff and introduce them to tank afters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 5:50 PM, Lennie said:

Blanching helps them sink in the tank! Also in my experience, snails like the slight mushy texture more and makes it easier to eat for them compared to something fresh.

I personally always blanch my stuff and introduce them to tank afters

True, cooking makes it easier for them to eat. They can eat zucchini and cucumber without blanching but it takes them longer to consume it. Floating veggies can be weighed down with plant weights.

On 4/4/2023 at 2:29 PM, Lennie said:

Ah! I see. It's leaves looked pretty full like Littorella Uniflora I have! I was excited to see that plant seeing more love 😄 very underrated

It has runners all over the tank. For awhile the runners were running away up in the water column, so I had to make them behave with a few plant weights. 🙂

On 4/4/2023 at 10:13 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

It has runners all over the tank. For awhile the runners were running away up in the water column, so I had to make them behave with a few plant weights. 🙂

Micro Sword: Exists

Chick-In: Why are you running

WHY-ARE-YOU-RUNNING?!

Edited by Lennie
  • Haha 1

Whoop whoop!

image.png.ed7a45af9e370d7752c4656882bcc3ca.png

Pleased to announce I have brand new shrimplets!  (Which are hard to photograph)

They are daring little ones, swimming all over the place.  Very brave!  I was just thinking 2 days ago that it seems I have less shrimp.  I've been culling wilds to my 1 gallon Walstad jar, so that's part of it.  But I also feel like I have been seeing a lot less babies.  Or are they just growing pretty quickly and I continue to look for the tiny ones anyway?  🤨

With more offspring are probably more wilds, so I have ordered a [permanent] 10g tank divider which will be siliconed in place and has no holes for shrimplets to pass through.  This I plan to set up in a new 10g and slowly move all shrimps over to it, with wilds on one side and blue dreams on the other.  This will require a heater and sponge filter on either side of the divider, as water will not pass between the sides. I suppose I will have to go with new substrate, as attempting to move existing substrate could harm shrimplets that are small, clear, and difficult to see.  I also want to use the same tank water, if at all possible.  What makes this a bit tricky is that I want to put the new divided tank in the same spot that the current tank is in.  Everything will have to be done in phases.

The shrimp in my jar are fine where they are for the time being, but if they reproduce I should remove some of them so the jar does not get too crowded.

I did see one of the 2 culls in the 29 gallon when the light came on this morning.  Casually swimming around and sightseeing.  She seemed very comfortable.  She swam right past a tetra, and the tetra didn't care.  Technically I could put a whole bunch of wilds in that tank, but I don't want to have to worry about shrimplets every time I want to maintain the PFS or the backup sponge filter that is in there.

• Like 1