On 4/29/2023 at 2:32 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

This came up again on another thread. Seen it before, but I don’t pay that much attention to it. I just post random pictures of shrimp and say, this is interesting, this is different, lol.  I’m just the casual shrimpkeeper.

F13CAB0D-C54E-4798-B2C3-4749204F6A38.webp.3fcd81ddcdabddf6eb8b982269edf071.webp

Based on my offspring, my Heinz 57 varieties, I may not have started out with ANY blue dream shrimp. I believe I started out with deep blue neo shrimp. (You guys probably already knew that. Heh.)

I saw this in the other thread and was confused!  There's a lot of forms of this thing floating around and I am not sure who has the newest/latest.  This is the "most up to date" one I could find from the original creator.  I believe the name is/should always be there.

From what was mentioned in the other thread.  You might have a lot of the "deep blue" in your line per this chart:
NeoShrimp.jpeg.cf2f957aadba119b7e2ed9f130ba54c9.jpeg

On 4/29/2023 at 6:47 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hmm.. it seems Button has had a visit to this rock.

LOL.  Yeah for sure.  Looks like a fancy lawnmower track.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:30 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I am confused! Why do I get solid black ones? And I think this guy is a yellow wt from the left side of the chart. 

E2AD8EE8-E95E-491C-B6BB-3AB2CC1C17E7.jpeg

This might help out too for specifically grading out and culling your blues:
https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/posts/grading-blue-dream-shrimp/

The above shrimp could also just be a wild type.  Very minimal pattern, or that specific wild type of pattern would indicate so on further generations.

The chart has two lines of neocaridina shrimp.  One is davidi, the far left tree is a different species. (snowball shrimp, etc.) that was newer in terms of discovery.

In your case, I think when you got your original batch or added to we did see some difference in pattern.  You had one that might have rili traits, that then crossed with everything you had in the different color lines.  You had one that looked brown, one that looked black, and all of those mix in different ways over time.  Brown Neos basically means it's a cross of two colors. 

You likely had a shrimp at some point in time:  Carbon Rili trait (this is how you get some of the black and the blue rili), black rose (this is how you get the all black, and can revert back to wild type patterns),  blue dream, chocolate, etc.  From the chart it would be all of these in some variation that you seem to have popped up at different times.

Neo Shrimp-COTS.jpg

@nabokovfan87 you keep better track of my shrimp than I do! 😂

On 4/29/2023 at 2:39 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This might help out too for specifically grading out and culling your blues:
https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/posts/grading-blue-dream-shrimp

I don’t think we are in the blue dream realm too much. Maybe deep blue Neo. Majority of my shrimp now are navy blue.

C3EA2660-0890-4286-AD0F-1EAE2DEE06FD.jpeg

Out of curiosity.... do you have the ability to blue light the shrimp tank for an hour or two?

I do see some rili patterning in the original shrimp.  It isn't in a lot of them, but 1-2 in the first photo and 1 in the second.  Could be nothing....  It's really hard to tell from the top for a lot of sorting.  On the second photo that smaller one on the right looks a bit.... off.  More of a grey or just underdeveloped in terms of it's patterning, which is very normal.

One day I will have shrimp to sort!  Then I can join in on the fun.  😂

On 4/29/2023 at 8:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

do you have the ability to blue light the shrimp tank for an hour or two?

Yep! How often?

I saw the study you had posted on the reds.

On 4/29/2023 at 8:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's really hard to tell from the top for a lot of sorting

Indeed, the photos aren’t great. And I knew nothing about shrimp genetics going into this. I thought, “it would be fun to have shrimp” and “let’s learn how to care for shrimp,” and that was it. 😅

I also trusted the stores to sell me the right type of shrimp. Store 1 said they were selling me blue dream shrimp, and the tank was labeled that way. Store 2 sells their shrimp as “blue shrimp” and they only had 4. I took the 4 and did NOT watch them get bagged. Instead I was browsing around and looking at tanks. I couldn’t leave just one shrimp behind or something. It would be sad and feel abandoned 🥲. At the checkout counter I looked in the bag and saw that one was a clear shrimplet. I was irritated that it was a shrimplet, and I got charged full price. But I wanted to be an easy customer, and not have them rebag anything or stress critters.

Also I didn’t know if all shrimplets start out as clear and develop color later… because I hadn’t had any breeding yet. So naive! (But later I learned shrimplets are more resilient than adults in a new (as in different) tank, and I had been having (occasional, random) losses before the purchase. I’m fairly certain this shrimplet survived and mated.

On 4/30/2023 at 5:23 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Yep! How often?

I saw the study you had posted on the reds.

Not really sure.  "some"  I am starting with 60-90 minutes or so.

Indeed, the photos aren’t great. And I knew nothing about shrimp genetics going into this. I thought, “it would be fun to have shrimp” and “let’s learn how to care for shrimp,” and that was it. 😅

I mean.... you did that right!?

I also trusted the stores to sell me the right type of shrimp.

This is very valid.  I had a lot of concerns and questions about mine.  I have a lot of concerns about all the genes on my fish because I have had so many issues previously.  The nice thing is that you can get these sorted and breeding a bit more true, then you can go back to the same shop and get a lot better price for grading all of yours out.  They'll appreciate the work and it's an easy bit of food/supply income!

Of course, that's simply if/whenever that becomes something you feel like doing.

@Lennie got some new shrimp.  Still waiting for him to have his journal for it or something!

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 2:20 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

After lights out it kicks on.

Daily.

Oh actually - they are getting blue light every day.  The Hygger is on 24/7 mode, it goes orange sunrise, white daytime, blue moonlight.  The brightness auto adjusts several times during the day as well.  Starts dim to gently wake them, clicks up brightness maybe 2-3 times, this occurs on the sunrise.  The daylight goes dim, brighter, brightest, brighter, dim; and the moonlight goes bright, dim, dimmer, off.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:55 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Oh actually - they are getting blue light every day.  The Hygger is on 24/7 mode, it goes orange sunrise, white daytime, blue moonlight.  The brightness auto adjusts several times during the day as well.  Starts dim to gently wake them, clicks up brightness maybe 2-3 times, this occurs on the sunrise.  The daylight goes dim, brighter, brightest, brighter, dim; and the moonlight goes bright, dim, dimmer, off.

Sweet.  Any idea how long?  My only barometer right now for "yep that helped" is keeping track on how quickly mine color up.  It's essentially supposed to speed up the color, the growth of those cells. I don't know if it increases their color depth longer term, but I would imagine so.... similar to fish in a pond vs. under an aquarium light.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 1:37 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sweet.  Any idea how long?  My only barometer right now for "yep that helped" is keeping track on how quickly mine color up.  It's essentially supposed to speed up the color, the growth of those cells. I don't know if it increases their color depth longer term, but I would imagine so.... similar to fish in a pond vs. under an aquarium light.

image.png.7814b330a9951926d7f6a98c67c87bcc.png

• Like 1

i've been feeding a pleco pellet daily and green beans sometimes. I'll work on zucchini, it's cheaper in stores i just forgot the last trip. 

It seems keeping to a rigorous feeding regimen yet taking out the leftovers for cleanliness has led my snails to being much more active. I think they were grooming through all my mosses when i fed less often but i can see them more now on the glass. 

Got some water sprite at the LFS, along with some alder cones.

I saw a clear shrimp with black or brown spots in the 29g today. Neat pattern. I promptly lost him again. Easy to do with a clear shrimp.

The water sprite is in dechlorinated water and in a few hours I will start the RR, to be completed overnight.

0729DF3A-58DB-4D40-8FA4-FB5919DB9CC3.jpeg.7c9bdb801a560cfc89a5cfeaad4d0e01.jpeg

13F04C7F-506B-40E5-BD33-F750DCBA2708.jpeg.281ee76df627ab75587df180f002f237.jpeg

Here are some other funky things I found in the filtration aisle.

F8D064FA-6914-43F0-BFF7-A8C6FB3C9958.jpeg

9467A571-9FDF-4271-8C2F-33246C2A5C31.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:41 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Got some water sprite at the LFS, along with some alder cones.

I saw a clear shrimp with black or brown spots in the 29g today. Neat pattern. I promptly lost him again. Easy to do with a clear shrimp.

The water sprite is in dechlorinated water and in a few hours I will start the RR, to be completed overnight.

0729DF3A-58DB-4D40-8FA4-FB5919DB9CC3.jpeg.7c9bdb801a560cfc89a5cfeaad4d0e01.jpeg

13F04C7F-506B-40E5-BD33-F750DCBA2708.jpeg.281ee76df627ab75587df180f002f237.jpeg

Here are some other funky things I found in the filtration aisle.

F8D064FA-6914-43F0-BFF7-A8C6FB3C9958.jpeg

9467A571-9FDF-4271-8C2F-33246C2A5C31.jpeg

I always use Sera's catappa leaves. I like them. Let me know whether you will like its alder cones! 🙂

@nabokovfan87 see she finds lots of Sera stuff! How can't you smh

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 1:57 PM, Lennie said:

see she finds lots of Sera stuff! How can't you smh

If you’re looking for something specific I can see if they have it. It suuuper close to my house. They have such a random selection and the store is somewhat disorganized (like a thrift store). There’s a little old guy that works in there. Barely gets around with his little cane and I have to speak loudly because he’s hard of hearing. Makes bad jokes and introduced himself as Captain Nemo, which is what I call him every time I go in there. He always helps me with plants but he doesn’t know the name of any of the plants, so I just say “that one”, and he gets it, then confirms with the teenage guy about price. 🤣It’s cute and amusing. Also when I got home with the water sprite I noticed I had 2 free plant weights. 🙂 Awesome, because mine always disappear. Mainly because I tame grass runners with them.

The store is in an odd location too- an office park, set back from the main road.

Also they have fun filters. Like this one. I love that it’s called a reactor.

On 5/5/2023 at 1:57 PM, Lennie said:

I always use Sera's catappa leaves.

I saw them, they are sold in a box like the alder cones.

I tried to get a picture of the catfish for @Guppysnail but then they started a water change and he got spooked. A black catfish with long whiskers with a white horizontal stripe. Anyway, I got these poor quality photos of the cichlid. Looks like a saltwater fish.

F9D7AC78-C10A-48F4-9A4A-3CB2EE6F9D69.jpeg

46E4F214-5ECF-4BA6-84F5-408D56794A36.jpeg

BCB797D2-9BF8-4C22-99BC-603A595C76E3.jpeg

Here’s the label. 

Tropheus duboisi 

DE01D741-B4DC-4C2A-90E2-EB156F662B48.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 5/6/2023 at 6:17 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

2 free plant weights. 🙂 Awesome, because mine always disappear

I have bought hundreds of these over the years. I’m convinced they go to that mysterious place that one of every pair of socks eventually go. 🤣

Is this the long whisker black stripe cat? 

9BF01AE6-45C6-4763-A628-5A6890EA6D84.png

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have bought hundreds of these over the years. I’m convinced they go to that mysterious place that one of every pair of socks eventually go. 🤣

Is this the long whisker black stripe cat? 

9BF01AE6-45C6-4763-A628-5A6890EA6D84.png

Yep! It was like that, but his stripe was thinner and very bright white!

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 2:05 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Yep! It was like that, but his stripe was thinner and very bright white!

Now I'm scared it is a red tail catfish! 😄 And Someone will try to buy it for it's cute look:

Red Tail Catfish (3 Inches) | cgrenergia.com.br

Then it be like:

GIANT Redtail Catfish - YouTube

😄 

@Guppysnail

On 5/6/2023 at 1:17 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

If you’re looking for something specific I can see if they have it. It suuuper close to my house. They have such a random selection and the store is somewhat disorganized (like a thrift store). There’s a little old guy that works in there. Barely gets around with his little cane and I have to speak loudly because he’s hard of hearing. Makes bad jokes and introduced himself as Captain Nemo, which is what I call him every time I go in there. He always helps me with plants but he doesn’t know the name of any of the plants, so I just say “that one”, and he gets it, then confirms with the teenage guy about price. 🤣It’s cute and amusing. Also when I got home with the water sprite I noticed I had 2 free plant weights. 🙂 Awesome, because mine always disappear. Mainly because I tame grass runners with them.

That sounds funny 😄 Also thanks, We have almost everything they have here as it is a european brand. I like its liquid test kits, catappa leaves, bactotabs and o nip tabs. @nabokovfan87 sadly had struggle finding their stuff, and I was like hey look it has everything in the US too! 😄 but yea from one state to another, it changes a lot apparently. 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 7:36 AM, Lennie said:

red tail catfish

Haha, nah, it looked more like the photo @Guppysnail posted (Rafael cat).

On 5/6/2023 at 7:36 AM, Lennie said:

from one state to another

Or from one store to another. These products are more likely to be found at mom & pop shops.

I got photos of that cool wild shrimp in the community tank. Check him out.

A978BFE5-7DDE-45CE-A13B-DA823BFCF851.jpeg

764BD3FB-FE94-40A6-BB0E-6221F94AAA1E.jpeg

• Like 3