I was able to remove a lot of the mulm (see under the spiderwood in previous pic) out to the DEAN’s dip container. One tiny blue shrimplet took a ride and was returned. Will let the container sit a little while and check again. I figured out what all that mulm is. Decayed catappa leaf. Which is fine for them. But going forward I will just put a little piece of catappa, in the front where I can easily remove when/before it starts to turn to dust. 

image.jpgI hid the ball of hair algae behind some stuff. There are shrimplets in it and it’s too hard to get through this type of algae to free them, so I guess they need to chew out. As the population grows, I hope the hair algae will be consumed by everyone.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

I gave the shrimps some DIY Snello but they weren’t too keen on it. A few nibbled just a bit. So I put in their ultimate favorite, Repashy. That will be gone quickly.

meanwhile here are some snails romancing their carrots. @Lennie

I find it easier to cut the carrots into small cubes. So they don’t have to compete over a large piece.

Someone got creative and climbed the heater cord and laid eggs on it.

A3888BD2-B2CF-4A30-B279-DDA5855F8F2E.jpeg

5C3E6585-4D2D-485D-8AEA-95B49E7A10E3.jpeg

5136BE6D-4E31-465D-9D9D-B28829C0AB04.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/4/2023 at 6:02 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I gave the shrimps some DIY Snello but they weren’t too keen on it. A few nibbled just a bit. So I put in their ultimate favorite, Repashy. That will be gone quickly.

meanwhile here are some snails romancing their carrots. @Lennie

I find it easier to cut the carrots into small cubes. So they don’t have to compete over a large piece.

A3888BD2-B2CF-4A30-B279-DDA5855F8F2E.jpeg

5C3E6585-4D2D-485D-8AEA-95B49E7A10E3.jpeg

5136BE6D-4E31-465D-9D9D-B28829C0AB04.jpeg

Orange poops loading! 😄

I need to find a way to make something like diy repashy, we dont have it here and everyone seems to be happy about it.

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2023 at 6:12 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

In my signature line “snello 2”

I gotta find a way to utilize agar agar like gelatin. Agar agar makes a good snello but it is a bit texturized. Snails can eat it well but Im not sure how grazing fish would do with it. It is tough.

maybe I am doing something wrong

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:44 AM, Lennie said:

I gotta find a way to utilize agar agar like gelatin. Agar agar makes a good snello but it is a bit texturized. Snails can eat it well but Im not sure how grazing fish would do with it. It is tough.

maybe I am doing something wrong

I have heard that is a good binder but I don’t have any experience with it.

Repashy customers:

8A3A8795-4E79-4C6B-B840-D1FFCF0C590B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/4/2023 at 9:37 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My lady shrimp in the community tank has the white band 😔

I want to catch her to put her in the breeder box so I can give her shrimp specific food but there’s a bunch of plants and driftwood. Not sure I will be able to.

I would let her be.

You cannot really fix the white ring of death. At the point you see it, it means its shell has kinda broken into two, so they are kinda disconnected from each other. It does not mean it is certainly gonna die but it will have a much harder time molting and may face potential death during molting time. Cause normally, molting just pops on the upper side of the shell.

Just keep your water parameters ideal and try to supplement their diet as best as you can, which you always do.

Let's hope for the best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My lady shrimp in the community tank has the white band 😔

I want to catch her to put her in the breeder box so I can give her shrimp specific food but there’s a bunch of plants and driftwood. Not sure I will be able to.

Definitely check for it and remove it if she passes.  If there is any sort of disease, you don't want the other shrimp to graze on the body.  It happens, unfortunately.  Is she one of the biggest ones?

• Sad 1

On 3/4/2023 at 3:45 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Definitely check for it and remove it if she passes.  If there is any sort of disease, you don't want the other shrimp to graze on the body.  It happens, unfortunately.  Is she one of the biggest ones?

She is one of the 2 culls. The snails will surely consume her if she passes. I haven’t seen the other shrimp in the tank for about a month when he was added.

@nabokovfan87Aren’t shrimp nocturnal? Who knows, I see mine active always. Anyway, I pulled a “covert operation” this morning and dropped some shrimp cuisine in the dark. The tetras were still asleep and all I had to do is get the pellets past the midlevel. They don’t like to bottom feed. I think it worked. Unless snails eat it. But I tried to drop it in her favorite plant which is very full/lush. Here’s to hoping she finds it and gets some proper nutrition for shrimps. Best I can do for her, I believe. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 2:51 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@nabokovfan87Aren’t shrimp nocturnal? Who knows, I see mine active always. Anyway, I pulled a “covert operation” this morning and dropped some shrimp cuisine in the dark. The tetras were still asleep and all I had to do is get the pellets past the midlevel. They don’t like to bottom feed. I think it worked. Unless snails eat it. But I tried to drop it in her favorite plant which is very full/lush. Here’s to hoping she finds it and gets some proper nutrition for shrimps. Best I can do for her, I believe. 

I'm gonna say yes, but it's complicated.

Most times the shrimp just either aren't comfortable or want cover. Even the massive amanos will hide in the dark spots of the tank and others just could not care. At night they are actively thrashing and swimming around.

On the neos, I can't figure them out. They basically only come out at dawn and then they are acting like the amanos, hidden and so forth. At night, I'm terrible at finding them. We've established some are there, but I only ever see one. Maybe two. Tank is a bit bare, so I'll see better behavior once the fish are moved.

Hopefully she was able to get the food. Sometimes that can happen from overeating too, so just be careful. The females won't molt until eggs hatch and they basically sacrifice themselves.

• Sad 1

On 3/5/2023 at 2:58 PM, Theplatymaster said:

now that i have a mystery snail i am definetly following this journal for good care tips.

2023-03-05-145135.jpg.b574f41d4836989f221588bf6c9b9aff.jpg

Yay!! Congratulations! 

On 3/5/2023 at 1:08 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'm gonna say yes, but it's complicated.

Most times the shrimp just either aren't comfortable or want cover. Even the massive amanos will hide in the dark spots of the tank and others just could not care. At night they are actively thrashing and swimming around.

On the neos, I can't figure them out. They basically only come out at dawn and then they are acting like the amanos, hidden and so forth. At night, I'm terrible at finding them. We've established some are there, but I only ever see one. Maybe two. Tank is a bit bare, so I'll see better behavior once the fish are moved.

Hopefully she was able to get the food. Sometimes that can happen from overeating too, so just be careful. The females won't molt until eggs hatch and they basically sacrifice themselves.

I saw her yesterday!  Still getting around ok and doing shrimp stuff, scavenging around etc

@Theplatymaster somewhere in this journal is a MASSIVE list of snail names. But I gotta go do adulting so I don’t have time to find it r n.

• Like 1

The berried female has released her shrimplets. I saw the micro shrimplets today 😍but of course they don’t show up on camera. 

3E813F3D-70F5-4999-B05E-FDB4C5E0DB4A.jpeg.3b57c30a6c3fff7c0006a7cedfd47de5.jpeg

CAA2E30C-CACB-4096-B23B-CC4CD5446FE8.jpeg.aee4c6ade4d4a2288ffc8d49dd20be69.jpeg

Shrimpkeepers, what commercial foods do you like?  I don’t think I will buy Hikari shrimp cuisine again because the pellets are so small, one shrimp will take ownership of a pellet and the next shrimp doesn’t get any. It’s not a good shareable food. Repashy is good. They all love it. It has calcium because it’s how I make the Snello. Not sure the shrimps need the added calcium or not, but there’s never any Repashy left when I feed that. I see several vendors selling Kat’s snail and shrimp food. Maybe I will try that next? Looks bigger and it says it helps with molting. Not that there’s a problem with that. Everyone is well adjusted. But it does target shrimp nutrition needs. I don’t always have time to boil vegetables.

Also @Lennie will get mad if I don’t post any snail pics, so

B259E826-01C6-43CA-8D71-2B214C623268.jpeg

48428CB5-8E04-4986-BF1D-28450C5F61D4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have bought a ton of shrimp specific food. Mine go for whatever I’m feeding my fish first. Most just sit and deteriorate. I did have luck with this sampler but not enough to purchase it again. The company that makes bacter ae I tried all their foods with a so so reaction and definitely not enough to pay that kind of money.  Regular granules and wafers as well as repashy my shrimp flock to  

Shrimp King Food 5 in 1 Sample Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S8YJ7V?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

7E79585A-4BDB-4F2D-9445-D5AA76140DE8.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine don’t like algae wafers or crab cuisine. They taste it but don’t finish it. They will eat a cichlid pellet or a vibra bite though. I experiment. They really love the bacter ae but I use that sparingly after water changes so water quality stays good and I don’t have 1,000,000 limpets and detritus worms.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:12 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The berried female has released her shrimplets. I saw the micro shrimplets today 😍but of course they don’t show up on camera. 

3E813F3D-70F5-4999-B05E-FDB4C5E0DB4A.jpeg.3b57c30a6c3fff7c0006a7cedfd47de5.jpeg

CAA2E30C-CACB-4096-B23B-CC4CD5446FE8.jpeg.aee4c6ade4d4a2288ffc8d49dd20be69.jpeg

Shrimpkeepers, what commercial foods do you like?  I don’t think I will buy Hikari shrimp cuisine again because the pellets are so small, one shrimp will take ownership of a pellet and the next shrimp doesn’t get any. It’s not a good shareable food. Repashy is good. They all love it. It has calcium because it’s how I make the Snello. Not sure the shrimps need the added calcium or not, but there’s never any Repashy left when I feed that. I see several vendors selling Kat’s snail and shrimp food. Maybe I will try that next? Looks bigger and it says it helps with molting. Not that there’s a problem with that. Everyone is well adjusted. But it does target shrimp nutrition needs. I don’t always have time to boil vegetables.

Also @Lennie will get mad if I don’t post any snail pics, so

B259E826-01C6-43CA-8D71-2B214C623268.jpeg

48428CB5-8E04-4986-BF1D-28450C5F61D4.jpeg

Wow!

How peachy that foot color is on the majenta one. I love it

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 11:10 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

What would you say are their favorite veggies?

Meaty type wafers. 
Kens meat wafers get mobbed. Extreme wafer after they get mushy. Hikari orange bag with corydora photos on it. Aquatic foods wafers. Phyto wafers from brine shrimp direct. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, Guppysnail said:

Meaty type wafers. 
Kens meat wafers get mobbed. Extreme wafer after they get mushy. Hikari orange bag with corydora photos on it. Aquatic foods wafers. Phyto wafers from brine shrimp direct. 

Chick: what are their favorite veggies?

Guppysnail: Meat.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

On 3/9/2023 at 1:00 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Chick: what are their favorite veggies?

Guppysnail: Meat.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My brain seen favorite and filled in food. Totally missed the VEGGIE word.  Cucumber is their favorite NON-MEAT veggie. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

On 3/9/2023 at 5:12 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I don’t think I will buy Hikari shrimp cuisine again because the pellets are so small, one shrimp will take ownership of a pellet and the next shrimp doesn’t get any. It’s not a good shareable food. Repashy is good. They all love it.

I don't think this is a bad thing. The new food I purchased isn't designed for shrimp, but is one I purchased specifically to replicate this interaction. It makes it a little easier to ensure what shrimp are getting their vitamins so to speak. Granules or small pellets for medium -large shrimp and then powder for the smaller ones.

From this morning. Amano x Xtreme Shrimp

20230309_113713.JPG

• Love 1