What does your background look like on your tank and what did you use?

sweetpoison

I now remember why I used to paint the back of my tanks because putting on this background is a pain!!  I only have a 29 gallon long it fits but it’s curly and it’s shiny I hated shiny, and it won’t stick it is annoying as hell please tell me after all these years there is something, better easier and not shiny😡

Edited by sweetpoison
Spelling errors
  • Like 1

I love window cling/film. You can get it in basically every color or design. Have to pay attention to which side the design is on (because sometimes the "stick" side is faded/reverse design). Most of the time we're just trying to hide cords/equipment, so the privacy film works (no real color, mine has a pattern/irridescence to it but there are of course lots of options there). It can be easily removed and changed. You could even buy black- it exists but solid colors would likely show the bubbles if you didn't get them out upon the install. Designs are far more forgiving. Plus it's waterproof. 

Resized_20210715_031741.jpg

Resized_20210706_184510.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 6

I also use cling film! My 55g display tank has a dark blue cling film and my 55g breeder has just a frosted film. I prefer the ones that are semi-transparent because I think it makes the tank look deeper.

7FEF5C9C-BC77-4802-9AD4-4B1E31BDB744.jpeg.c0f4c314e67ef3eaa89eddb6d3504eba.jpeg82F69389-61D9-4600-83B7-A501CCA8E95F.jpeg.4b198ad19206a523034d7de1c7aa43ee.jpeg

I’ve also used tablecloths and old shirts. 😄 Here’s a shirt background—it’s draped over a piece of rectangular cardboard:

9CE54ADB-97C1-42B6-8FF1-867C3867B363.jpeg.b57cd6da529875924844bab0eb2be8c2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I paint matte black. I have 4 newly acquired (January) tanks that have had no background for months because I do tend to do my painting outside (fumes) and it's too cold in winter where I live to do that type of thing. It has been driving me crazy having no background for months, but it'll give me a chance to totally rescape when I do it, so I'm looking forward to that. 

EDIT: Forgot the show part: 

IMG_3276.jpg

Edited by zelibeli
  • Like 4

I used flat black paint on the back of my 120. If I had it to do over again, I would probably use a product called Plasti-Dip. You spray it on, it dries fairly quickly and it is not shiny. Of course, flat black paint is not shiny either.

Plasti-Dip is a plastic coating - not a paint - so it should be easier to remove if you change your mind. It only comes in a few colors. I have only used black.

20220227_100445.jpg

Edited by HH Morant
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Just saw an old vlog of Cory's (from like 5 years ago) where he was painting the backs of new tanks for his then-new studio. He used an oil-base matte black (which I've been told minimizes scratches on the inside glass also). Some use plastidip paint which is easily peeled off if you want to change it and comes in a number of colors (I was tempted by the olive drab camo green color). Window cling films are good as is window tinting which can be applied with water (probably falls off eventually I'm guessing). I used to smear the glass with vaseline to adhere mine and it worked great, never dries out.

You could use fabric with spray starch or a mix of water and cornmeal, but be sure it's heated enough to take on a milky texture or it will leave a speckled haze on the glass. In my side=by-side journal I documented a recent experience with this and what I ended up using instead and it worked great. I have a woods scene that I am hardscaping now in such a way as to make it appear as thought the image has entered the tank space and my future fish will be living in the forest.

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 9:25 AM, Josh G said:

I use black construction paper. Here’s what it looks like with a bunch of swordtail babies.EC6BF66E-9A18-4852-8300-36490E7E85A5.jpeg.c0408499561629b6ef3fc4cccbc9a473.jpeg

Brilliant idea! 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:33 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I love window cling/film. You can get it in basically every color or design. Have to pay attention to which side the design is on (because sometimes the "stick" side is faded/reverse design). Most of the time we're just trying to hide cords/equipment, so the privacy film works (no real color, mine has a pattern/irridescence to it but there are of course lots of options there). It can be easily removed and changed. You could even buy black- it exists but solid colors would likely show the bubbles if you didn't get them out upon the install. Designs are far more forgiving. Plus it's waterproof. 

Resized_20210715_031741.jpg

Resized_20210706_184510.jpg

I would’ve never thought of this!!  I have some too I should try it. Because painting I can’t ever do that again ~  I change my mind often and it’s a bitch to get off.  

On 4/11/2022 at 9:43 AM, zelibeli said:

I paint matte black. I have 4 newly acquired (January) tanks that have had no background for months because I do tend to do my painting outside (fumes) and it's too cold in winter where I live to do that type of thing. It has been driving me crazy having no background for months, but it'll give me a chance to totally rescape when I do it, so I'm looking forward to that. 

I hate painting 😂😂😂

On 4/11/2022 at 12:45 PM, dangerflower said:

I use black poster board, and use electrical tape around the edges to attach it, which looks tidy and hides any little cracks of light from less than perfect cutting. I thought I would have issues with the poster board getting wet and needing to be redone a lot but it's working really well

Same her, though on my first tanks I just taped kraft paper to the backs.  It looks better than you'd think.

• Like 2

I've used paint, spray paint, old school car window tinting, poster board, painted foam core (kept the tank a bit warmer which was nice), I sand blasted the back wall of a tank once to try that and it was okay with the media I was using, acid etched attempt did not work well for me... Recently I used blackout window cling on my 75 that is already against the wall. Nightmare to install but it looks okay. There are some bubbles but you can only see them from the side so I don't mind. If I ever move the tank I'll re-stick it and do it right.

My favorite background was the foam core just because it helped keep the tank warm in the winter. I had it on a 10G in my bedroom that was right in front of a window. I may put foam core against the back of all of my tanks regardless of background. Kind of forgot about it. 🙂

Edited by Minanora
Omitted chemical for safety reasons.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:18 AM, sweetpoison said:

I now remember why I used to paint the back of my tanks because putting on this background is a pain!!  I only have a 29 gallon long it fits but it’s curly and it’s shiny I hated shiny, and it won’t stick it is annoying as hell please tell me after all these years there is something, better easier and not shiny😡

On my QT tank, I have black acrylic paint on 3 sides. On my 29G I used window tint that is 100% light blocking. Much easier and much better long term durability from the filter being installed and then removed.

If you're running into some major difficulties can you elaborate on how you're installing it?

Window cling film stuff.  Comes in gobs of colors, easy to apply, easy to remove.

As you can see from the pics below, it really helps bring out the dirty front glass and water spots.  🤣20220304_103652.jpg.e2cedfd3c493c8a77f403322eda64eca.jpg20220324_174422.jpg.f08e2e78f100ecee5af4b775824dfa03.jpg

VideoCapture_20220209-073858.jpg.e5fa7ec38191459dfadbe59b8bb87178.jpg20220218_181919.thumb.jpg.888067b1a156a7804f5c763e387d1843.jpg

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:34 PM, Minanora said:

My favorite background was the foam core just because it helped keep the tank warm in the winter. I had it on a 10G in my bedroom that was right in front of a window. I may put foam core against the back of all of my tanks regardless of background. Kind of forgot about it. 🙂

This sounds like a great idea! I was thinking about cladding my 40 with foam when I was having those heater issues this winter. I should try to construct something before it gets cold again.

I don't have backgrounds generally since my tanks are usually viewable from multiple sides. I do have matte black acrylic paint over the matten filter chamber on the 10g I recently set up. When I got my 40 it was painted on the side I wanted to use as the front, so I scraped most of it off. I left a bit around the edges to hide the edge-lit glass, the substrate, and the space above the water.IMG_20220306_162723.jpg.b552bd68ff4bc31cfda18e3f0b8cd88b.jpg

I've been thinking about making a temporary background to use when taking pictures. Maybe it's time to invest in some foam board.

I’ve used rolls of plastic backing, not a fan.  I’ve also used the poster board option, but water stains it very easily.  I just rebuilt my wife’s tank, and went with no background.  It works since the area behind the tank is dark.

my favorite is spray paint.  But not just any paint.  The one that looks like stone.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-American-Accents-12-oz-Stone-Creations-Pebble-Textured-Finish-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-7995830/202057116

I buy it by the can, not the case

• Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 6:15 PM, Ken Burke said:

I’ve used rolls of plastic backing, not a fan.  I’ve also used the poster board option, but water stains it very easily.  I just rebuilt my wife’s tank, and went with no background.  It works since the area behind the tank is dark.

my favorite is spray paint.  But not just any paint.  The one that looks like stone.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-American-Accents-12-oz-Stone-Creations-Pebble-Textured-Finish-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-7995830/202057116

I buy it by the can, not the case

Interesting - I never would have considered it on glass, but I bet it's a unique result!

I just use black corrugated plastic craft board. Cut to size and black electrical tape to blend in with the tank trim. Once the algae gets established on the back glass, it is hard to see much of the background.

My QT has a piece cut for the bottom too.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:04 PM, Ken Burke said:

Here are the results from my 20 gal. It was a sand color, and the flecks are pretty small.  It’s hard to see through the algae on the back glass, but hoping it gives a feel.  @Jawjagrrl

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's darker looking than I would have expected - in a good way. I like it! Still debating how I'm going to back my 75s, which will be SA biotope-ish. You have me intrigued. Did it take multiple coats?