What does your background look like on your tank and what did you use?

sweetpoison

On 4/11/2022 at 11:56 AM, jwcarlson said:

Window cling film stuff.  Comes in gobs of colors, easy to apply, easy to remove.

20220324_174422.jpg.f08e2e78f100ecee5af4b775824dfa03.jpg

Does coming gobs of color I found a real pretty blue I’m getting♥️

I decided to go with the blue background I had it before with my discus and I love it. And I hate my tank right now hate it. I’m getting rid of the sand too.   I think I’m going with black gravel..

• Like 2

my nano tanks are black in the back cause they have the filter compartments there but my big tanks I don't bother.  Not a back ground person, I've also been known to move my tanks out a bit to clean the wall/floor/baseboards and I enjoy seeing the tank from the other side

• Like 2

I normally use flat black acrylic paint.  I tried using a light blue/green color and the algae really stood out.  I've been repainting those tanks when it's convenient.  I do have one tank with a Universal Rocks background that was a total pain to install.

• Like 1

I have tried mirrors, commercial printed roll stock, opaque panels and lighter solid colors. Except for doubling the number of fish in the tank, the mirrors were the biggest mistake.  Ultimately, I return to solid black for its ability to camouflage the plumbing and making the fish stand out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting!  I have black background now, but you really think it makes the fish pop more ~ I agree but I think it makes the tank look smaller and gloomier…

Whatever I Change to it must pull right off and on because I am so fickle😂😂😂

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, sweetpoison said:

It really was that easy I love it!  However mines a bit busy for a tank I think. What do you think?  This is all I have a whole roll of it so I thought I’d try it ~ Too bad we couldn’t get a little tiny role of all different colors😂

0403BB68-97AF-435C-90E6-83E70210BAF2.jpeg

I like it.  I thought about using once or twice as well.  But it’s not really my vibe.  

On 4/13/2022 at 3:30 PM, sweetpoison said:

01F3D5D3-D139-48E3-8798-C865F2E90DE4.jpeg

This is with the light on.  But I think I’m going with this background:

HIDBEA Window Privacy Film, UV Blocking Heat Control Removable Frosted Glass Window Film Static Cling Opaque Door Decorative Sticker for Home Bathroom Office(17.5 x 78.7 Inch, Matte Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZFMBPY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AXAR2BHKHKS82H40XRR1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is hideous what was I thinking😂😂😂 I ultimately went with a black background but I’m not doing that anymore either🤪

• Haha 1

I keep telling myself that if I ever make a serious effort at aquascaping, that there would be some kind of back lighting.  The first experiment was using a 'cracked ice' ceiling light panel. 

Lessons learned: 

• The equipment is only partially hidden,
  • Anything more than a faint back light is a distraction. 
  • For my tastes at least, anything with a regular pattern is wrong.
  • Back lighting requires absolutely clean glass
  • You can't use the Mag Float without removing the panel

As soon as I find one, My next experiment will be using the light diffusion panel from a discarded 50" smart tv.  I haven't thought that one through yet, but I see some potential as well as pitfalls.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 5:56 AM, sairving said:

CurrentUSA has a kit called Serene Background. It looks really fun. Every time I try a background, my betta spends all his time flaring at himself. When I do add a background, its black foam or poster board.

I LOVE THIS!!  I been looking at this site forever. I’m going to get one! Look:

I have seen lights like this different colors in aquariums and I always wondered how they did that! 

Sair ~ you are my new best friend♥️

5014C35A-8CDF-4272-B986-34F8D0E3B829.jpeg

Edited by sweetpoison

On 6/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, sweetpoison said:

I LOVE THIS!!  I been looking at this site forever. I’m going to get one! Look:

DA5B27CA-F104-4796-9B23-44FA9B0DEE24.png

There is an entire kit. It comes with the main light, the background light, and speakers. Speakers could be fun if it's a bedroom tank and you want a bit a white noise.  My birthday is coming up in September and I'm tempted to ask for the background kit. 

All my plants are low to medium light. I use is a fluval aquasky but having the ability to run a sunset or twilight setting on the background could be fun.

Edited by sairving
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:18 AM, sweetpoison said:

I now remember why I used to paint the back of my tanks because putting on this background is a pain!!  I only have a 29 gallon long it fits but it’s curly and it’s shiny I hated shiny, and it won’t stick it is annoying as hell please tell me after all these years there is something, better easier and not shiny😡

I use the black "by the foot" backgrounds from petco. They are discontinuing them in the stores in my area but still sell them in pre cut rolls. I cut them slightly smaller then the aquarium, so it's easy to install and use packing tape to run all the way up each side. Starting with one side then pulling the other side tight before taping. Hope this helps!

• Like 1