Let’s get ready for summer tubbing!

Ken Burke

Ok probably a little mean to our northern brethren, but here in the south…..

I’m wondering if white clouds and gold fish are good pond mates for a 110 gal tank?

Last year when I pulled all the mollies from my tub, I tossed in a couple small fan tail gold fish just to see what would happen.  The plan was to sell them back to the lfs this spring.  

Welp, they made it through the winter, and even grew quite a bit.  But my wife thinks we should just the fan tails.  I can add a few more goldfish to round out the numbers, but the 2 I have are pretty shy and I think they could use a dither fish.  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 4:30 PM, Atitagain said:

I’m setting up my first outdoor tub this year it’s a 110G as well. I’m hoping for a big bunch of white clouds at the end of the season. Good luck with the goldfish.

Tons of fun.  My first year I did plattys, I started late for down here and still had several hundred outta a 27 and a 44 gallon tub. Paid for the upgrade!

I’m wondering if just adding a few more gold fish will help….

• Like 2

This will also be my first year with an outdoor tub @Atitagain and I also got the 110 stock tank 🙂

It's too soon for me to set it up now, but I think I will fill it around April 15 so the plants will have a head start. 

I've had a bucket of extra plant clippings stored on the back steps for several weeks now. It has frozen pretty solid a couple of times but amazingly the plants are still green after thawing out.

I'm thinking I will start with that bucket of plants and the lilies I want to remove from my 20T, and just see what happens.

I'm not sure yet what fish I will put in. I have gold white clouds and guppies and a million platy fry but the platies are all blue tux so they will hardly be visible in a black tank. I have fantasies of nice bright red/orange fireball platies or mollies or koi swordtails...but my QT is in use and I refuse to set up one more!

• Like 3

It's supposed to be 30s for the next week in Milwaukee and last frost is usually in May, so I usually wait til then. But I'm always ready! First year with a new 100 gal Rubbermaid I'll be putting the reed fencing around (idea from a video with Dean, why not steal from the best!). I'm going to throw a bunch of varieties of medaka in there and see what happens.

Edited by Siett88
  • Like 2

I'm really hoping to do a tub outside this summer, probably like a 35 gal. I just can't decide what I want to stock it with, expressly since I don't really have room for more tanks inside so I won't really be able to keep my lines in between seasons. I've been leaning towards guppies anyway just because they're so fun to breed in mutt colonies and I have a preexisting relationship with selling fish to my LFS and their wholesalers guppy quality has been lacking a bit.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 12:34 PM, Siett88 said:

It's supposed to be 30s for the next week in Milwaukee and last frost is usually in May, so I usually wait til then. But I'm always ready! First year with a new 100 gal Rubbermaid I'll be putting the reed fencing around (idea from a video with Dean, why not steal from the best!). I'm going to throw a bunch of varieties of medaka in there and see what happens.

Yeah, the tub is not the prettiest thing unless you dress it up.  I went with brick….we’ll start dressing it up soon.  Hanging ivys, some flowers in the front, caladiums behind.  

8B881A5C-BF33-4314-B029-7B8973955D08.jpeg

On 3/25/2022 at 11:43 AM, castiel said:

I'm really hoping to do a tub outside this summer, probably like a 35 gal. I just can't decide what I want to stock it with, expressly since I don't really have room for more tanks inside so I won't really be able to keep my lines in between seasons. I've been leaning towards guppies anyway just because they're so fun to breed in mutt colonies and I have a preexisting relationship with selling fish to my LFS and their wholesalers guppy quality has been lacking a bit.

That’s the trick, find what your lfs needs. Breed them!  A 35 gal tote should work just fine for guppies.  Or platys for that matter.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I've ordered my tub fish 🙂

and I've recieved my floating plants and have them in my various tanks where I hope they will multiply while we are waiting for warm weather.

I still have several items on my To Do List and some decisions to make for the tub pond. I do plan to run a sponge filter, and I may get a heater to extend the season in both directions. 

I hope it will be fun!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 8:27 PM, PineSong said:

I've ordered my tub fish 🙂

and I've recieved my floating plants and have them in my various tanks where I hope they will multiply while we are waiting for warm weather.

I still have several items on my To Do List and some decisions to make for the tub pond. I do plan to run a sponge filter, and I may get a heater to extend the season in both directions. 

I hope it will be fun!

It will be tons of fun!  BTW: I don’t run filters in my tub, just an air stone.  

I want to try tetras for the summer but I am afraid my weather is not stable enough, it can get 95 high and 45 low in the same day.  I might just pick a ricefish or two and let them stay out year round.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 2:53 PM, Ken Burke said:

I went with brick….we’ll start dressing it up soon.

Wow that looks awesome, the tub idea is interesting, seems a lot of folks use outside tubs. Maybe someone could tell me the pros/cons of using tubs outside. Is a certain size needed? Is it possible to raise shrimp? 

• Like 1

I have white clouds and 4" fancies in my 55 gallon and they are doing fine so far. The white clouds can dart away and my fancies can't fit them in their mouth yet. You're main two issues will be diet differences (Goldies want a little more plant matter) and harassment among the white clouds. The males will harass the heck out of females during spawning, so just something to think of

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...