Let’s get ready for summer tubbing!

Ken Burke

I've got a couple of those railing planters and never thought to hang it on the side of the tub! Great inspiration! When the weather warms up enough to get the tubs going I know what I'm going to do with those planters now. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am planning to replace my tote pond with a rectangular partial inground pond (using liner). My thought was to have the out flow and inflow arias more shallow and the middle section to be deeper. The hope was to have the goldfish inhabit the deep section the the white clouds live in the shallow in and out flows, I would have tall rocks restricting access for the goldfish but allowing the white clouds to maneuver in and out for safety.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 12:25 AM, PineSong said:

My pond has been set up for about 3-4 weeks and I finally added some guppies today. The water lily I put in has shown no signs of life, but the Prince Tut grass looks good. I am hoping to get some more plants soon.

Picture?

On 5/13/2022 at 3:09 PM, Tihshho said:

Thanks for that, I was trying to figure out how I was going to space it as I'd be putting them on 40/50 gallon troughs. 

U are welcome!  I would love to see pictures when you get it set up. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 2:45 PM, Ken Burke said:

@PineSong nice.  Can’t wait to see it all decked out.

bonus points if you get pictures of the guppies!

Oh and the oak leaf hidrenia is gonna look amazing a a backdrop.  Nice location.

I tried really hard to get photos yesterday afternoon. The guppies I added are mostly blue with long orange dorsals and tails, but it was fascinating to see that in the sunlight their orange looked very pink--if I didn't put them in there myself, I would have thought they were different fish. I'll keep trying 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 8:01 PM, Patrick_G said:

We’re having a crazy cold spring in the Seattle area. I’m envious of all the nice tubs, but I’m still waiting for temps to rise a bit. 

What are you putting in yours? My guys came out of an unheated tank so I figured they would be okay, but it's also been hot as blazes here already some days so I maybe should have worried in the other direction. I took video of my garden so when everything is fried to a crisp in June I can remember when...

Northern Brethren here.

I have a small pond here (Western Pennsylvania) about 125 gallons.  My pond fish ( 0.10 goldfish) winter over in my pond.  I have been checking water temperatures-early morning temperatures average 66-68 and late day 72-74 over the last 3 weeks.  My pond is in the ground and that most likely helps.   
So I see you posted about 2 months ago…. It only took two months but now we can enjoy our outside fish. 😂. BTW this will be the third summer for my 10 cent goldfish.   

• Like 2

On 5/16/2022 at 5:06 PM, PineSong said:

What are you putting in yours?

I have some beautiful Marigold Swordtails I’m thinking of trying. I really love then in a tank and I think they’ll look great from above. 

On 5/16/2022 at 5:20 PM, Brian said:

BTW this will be the third summer for my 10 cent goldfish.   

A swarm of 10 cent gold fish in a 125 gal looks great!

• Love 1

On 5/16/2022 at 8:20 PM, Brian said:

So I see you posted about 2 months ago…. It only took two months but now we can enjoy our outside fish. 😂. BTW this will be the third summer for my 10 cent goldfish.   

My mom had a pond for years and years that was for goldfish much fancier than yours--they cost 19 cents. They were orange and perfect for pond viewing!

On 5/16/2022 at 8:28 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have some beautiful Marigold Swordtails I’m thinking of trying. I really love then in a tank and I think they’ll look great from above. 

I bet they will look amazing. I got koi swords to go in my pond but haven't added them yet. I wanted to see how the guppies did first and also, TBH the koi swords look so darn good in the window tank in the sunlight, it's going to be hard for me to put them out. The one who has a sword, the sword is black so it won't show up as well in a pond.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 8:58 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Wow that looks awesome, the tub idea is interesting, seems a lot of folks use outside tubs. Maybe someone could tell me the pros/cons of using tubs outside. Is a certain size needed? Is it possible to raise shrimp? 

I will try to answer at least a couple of your questions.  I don't know that a specific size is required, but like with tanks inside bigger is generally better.  I use plastic tubs that originally had cattle supplement in them.  I think they're around 25 gallons.

It's absolutely possible to raise shrimp outside.  I currently have two tubs outside with guppies and shrimp and one with just guppies.  Last year was my first time doing tubs.  I put guppies in one tub in April, and then we got a late cold front, with the temperatures getting down into the 40's, and I lost all but one.  I restocked after a couple weeks and they did fine.  When it started to cool down I brought them inside, but left some shrimp in the tubs.  In spite of it getting cold enough that the tops were iced over for about two days they came through just fine.

I don't have any mechanical filtration or air movement in my tubs; just plenty of live plants (either guppy grass or hornwort).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I added my five golden WCMMs to the pond. It has been raining most of the afternoon, was raining when I put them in, and is going to rain some more tomorrow. They've produced zero eggs or fry that I ever saw in my 20g tall tank; maybe being outdoors in the weather will light a spark. 

For any of you who've kept WCMMs outside in the midwest or the south, how high have your water temps been without harming your minnows? I can net them back out if they are going to suffer from the heat.

• Like 1

Discovered something interesting today!

E0B31A64-0955-4A89-934D-9D42F42D1A32.jpeg.00672be25e2d2a80cfad275873504f21.jpeg

It’s a little hard see in the picture, but one of the stems on my papyrus was bent when it put it in my tub. I was feeling lazy, so I left it alone.  Turns out if the top poofy part is left in water, it sends out roots, then a stem!  @PineSong can you say, “FREE PLANTS?”  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 6:33 PM, Ken Burke said:

Life finds a way!

since I did not pull the fish or eggs, I figured’ “No chance for baby golf fish”

I was wrong

B582B2AE-3921-4A33-AA83-FB5A80BBCE6D.jpeg.9c904be5b1ab525f089a9acaa4c63d2f.jpeg

I also saw I tiny black one, but could get a picture….

Baby goldfish? That's great! Your tank looks nice and heatlhy. 

Here is my pond today. I took out several male guppies to take to the store. I have swordtail fry happening in the pond, but so far I've seen no indication that the white clouds have produced babies. I'm excited that I'm about to have my first water lily bloom. 

IMG_0109.jpg.9420b08cf9fc4b549ebb8c05dac9845a.jpgIMG_0283.jpg.1c6da3eef252228e87d1f53dfdda7c8d.jpgIMG_0281.jpg.8bb81154a0342f54cde6634be2f37d04.jpg

On 7/30/2022 at 10:13 PM, PineSong said:

Baby goldfish? That's great! Your tank looks nice and heatlhy. 

Here is my pond today. I took out several male guppies to take to the store. I have swordtail fry happening in the pond, but so far I've seen no indication that the white clouds have produced babies. I'm excited that I'm about to have my first water lily bloom. 

IMG_0109.jpg.9420b08cf9fc4b549ebb8c05dac9845a.jpgIMG_0283.jpg.1c6da3eef252228e87d1f53dfdda7c8d.jpgIMG_0281.jpg.8bb81154a0342f54cde6634be2f37d04.jpg

Smokes!  Are those lyre tail guppies? A-maze-ing 

Never have I ever had a lily bloom.  So envious 

On 7/31/2022 at 9:58 AM, Ken Burke said:

Smokes!  Are those lyre tail guppies? A-maze-ing 

Never have I ever had a lily bloom.  So envious 

They are some kind of double sword mutt guppies— aren’t they neat? Their dad was a blue double sword EndlerFABF880C-460C-48C6-B363-16E983EF53B3.jpeg.518eeea0ef0855c44e9d3d1d91ef083f.jpeg kind of guy and mom was a grocery store random gal.

My lilies came from Lowes in those cups that look like Icee cups. I had given up on them—they’ve been in there since late April or early May with no sign of blooms. There’s supposed to be a yellow one,too. 

I’m not sure what they needed to get them to the point where this bloom happened—Whether they just need three solid months of sunlight before they will bloom, or whether it was a critical mass of fertilizer? I have put Easy Green in the tub a few times but that is all I have done. Now that the water has cleared up and I can see where I would need to put them I should add some root tabs to these lilies specifically.

• Love 1