Let’s get ready for summer tubbing!

Ken Burke

On 7/31/2022 at 10:01 AM, PineSong said:

They are some kind of double sword mutt guppies— aren’t they neat? Their dad was a blue double sword EndlerFABF880C-460C-48C6-B363-16E983EF53B3.jpeg.518eeea0ef0855c44e9d3d1d91ef083f.jpeg kind of guy and mom was a grocery store random gal.

My lilies came from Lowes in those cups that look like Icee cups. I had given up on them—they’ve been in there since late April or early May with no sign of blooms. There’s supposed to be a yellow one,too. 

I’m not sure what they needed to get them to the point where this bloom happened—Whether they just need three solid months of sunlight before they will bloom, or whether it was a critical mass of fertilizer? I have put Easy Green in the tub a few times but that is all I have done. Now that the water has cleared up and I can see where I would need to put them I should add some root tabs to these lilies specifically.

So awesome!  

On 7/30/2022 at 3:33 PM, Ken Burke said:

Life finds a way!

since I did not pull the fish or eggs, I figured’ “No chance for baby golf fish”

I was wrong

B582B2AE-3921-4A33-AA83-FB5A80BBCE6D.jpeg.9c904be5b1ab525f089a9acaa4c63d2f.jpeg

I also saw I tiny black one, but could get a picture….

I had goldfish breed in my outdoor pond a while ago. I also thought the adults would eat the fry but they didn't. For 3 years, everytime I thought I gave the last one away, I'd find more.

• Haha 1

How’s this for super crazy….

a few days ago I wanted a few floating plants for my angel breeding box.  So I scooped a handful out with my hand, and carried it in the house.  

fished this little guy out of the breeder box this afternoon!  All of a quarter inch longACE8A71F-8E44-452C-9931-DB912DB764AB.jpeg.dad014c76f9276a5fb3082310eed390f.jpeg

@modified lung, I think I’m in for a lot of baby goldfish 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 8/3/2022 at 8:04 PM, Ken Burke said:

I have a mix of 2 fantails,2 Shubunkins, and one oranda 

im not sure when they start showing color, but this little guy shows a faint gold cast

Most of mine colored up in a few months. One was black with a gold (not orange but gold) stomach for 3 years. This year he turned completely orange. 

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:05 PM, Friller said:

I gotta get me some goldfish for my tub pond. 

Would 130g be big enough?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fountain-products-1150-x-1150-x-380mm-blue-sandpit-with-slide_p3321617

Here's the tub. I've kept Empire Gudgeons and Zebra Danios in it before, but it has nothing at the moment and I'm re doing it next summer. If not paradise fish will be enjoying it. 

You'd have to make sure they get plenty of oxygen. Most of mine died after a racoon or something pulled the wire from my pump on a hot day. I switched to ricefish because they don't need as much.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 2:26 PM, modified lung said:

You'd have to make sure they get plenty of oxygen. Most of mine died after a racoon or something pulled the wire from my pump on a hot day. I switched to ricefish because they don't need as much.

Lucky I won't have to worry about racoons!

I run airline with airstones on all of my tubs and ponds.

• 10 months later...

Last week was disastrous for my summer tub. 😢😭😢. The water level dropped significantly so my wife went to top it off.  After putting in the conditioner and dropping the hose in, she moved on to taking care of the “this and that’s”in the yard. When I got home, she had put 200 gal in my 100 gal tank, killing all my goldfish in the process. 

the real problem is the the tank is leaking, but I can’t find the hole. Does anyone have any experience with the 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tanks leaking?

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

So finally fixed the leak!  
I applied pond safe epoxy, allowing me to change the color to sand.  But when I filled it again, it still leaked.  Fortunately, the color change allowed me to see the check.  A little silicone later, it holds water. IMG_0782.jpeg.b67a8fa2fffc4c564c7c9ff444cc6dc1.jpeg

I filled it a little over a week ago, holding water steady.  So today I added these -

IMG_0790.jpeg.1f0582d4eaf963e04fc0bc185fd858a3.jpegIMG_0789.jpeg.e6f65fe619022322f3022e1a50d64fc3.jpeg
IMG_0793.jpeg.6f6dbe92b28616d74aa098611dc4029d.jpeg

they are a trio of red albino ribbon guppies!  I was nervous ordering them as the daily temps are steady in the 90s, but all three arrive safe and healthy.  Within a minute or two they started scarfing down the mosquito larva. They are gonna be so fat!

IMG_0784.jpeg

IMG_0783.jpeg

IMG_0791.jpeg

• Love 1

Awesome.  My little tubs are ready for fish I think I just need to figure out what to put in them.  It's been so hot though I'm worried they won't last long.  My tubs have plenty of mosquito larva to for anything to eat too.  So many, if I don't add fish soon, I want to drain and refill to kill the mosquitoes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

To all of you who have done ponds already - have you had any problems with frogs predating on your fish? I just put my platinum medaka fry in the pond yesterday evening & today, I saw something big swimming in their pond. I'm sure it's a frog - although I didn't get a very good look. How worried do I need to be?
pond video link

• Sad 1

I keep my tubs up off the ground on my back porch. I've never had a frogs in mine. But I have seen muddy footprints on the edge . . . birds, raccoons, there are so many fish killers out there! 

Cover the top with some sort of screening if you want to be sure. Just leave large enough holes for mosquitoes to get through. Light will still penetrate fine.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2023 at 6:34 PM, CJhilljack said:

To all of you who have done ponds already - have you had any problems with frogs predating on your fish? I just put my platinum medaka fry in the pond yesterday evening & today, I saw something big swimming in their pond. I'm sure it's a frog - although I didn't get a very good look. How worried do I need to be?
pond video link

It depends on what kind of frog you have. Our natives aren't really a threat, but the invasive bullfrog tadpoles can clear a summer tub pond almost overnight.

Look up what kind of frogs you have in your area, their diet, and their tadpoles' diet, to determine what kind of a threat you are looking at. Here, the bullfrogs typically get served up, and the rest of the frogs (and tis summer, birds and any other wildlife that needs water) are left alone.

I do have a shallower pond for the native inhabitants to get their needs met, typically they leave my summer tubs alone as long as they have their needs met **somewhere**

• Thanks 2