What do you do when you don't have to do anything?

Do you guys get figity when your tanks don't need anything? Like, I've been tweaking and adjusting and whatever, and everything's just how I like it right now.

And I'm really enjoying watching the fish, but I keep waiting to go to the aquarium shop or find another tank on CL, or various other silly things.

How many of you have trouble just enjoying the finished project and waiting patiently for the next water change or whatever?

• Like 1

I've been there, done that.

Find a comfy chair or something; and enjoy your tank. The next thing I do, when I'm at this point, is to find consistent time to watch the tank...to try to find trends that are happening in the tank.ย 

Watch things grow, or watch different trends with your animals. I find that, if I'm constantly tinkering, I'm not having time to enjoy it.

HTH!

• Like 2

Re-scape a tank (what I'm working on this weekend) or test the water. Annoy the fish by watching them close-up.ย :classic_laugh:

Actually, when there is nothing else to do with my aquariums, I tend to my houseplants (or garden in the summer). When there's nothing to do with them, I wander the house aimlessly.

Usually though, I don't have the time to do all that. Work and being a mom sucks most my free time these days.

• Like 2

When I am at that zen space hubby comes to the fish room and asks if Iโ€™m ok because I have been there for several hours and have not made a sound. I simply never get tired of just staring at every tiny detail. Plus itโ€™s awesome to just relax for a change.ย 

• Like 3

I used to always find something to do in my tanks (are there ever enough plants? Or caves? or fish?) until the past 2 years. Now I have learned I have to take it easy... well, at least easier.

I spend an hour each day reading. I work in my tanks as I am able. I do my PT.

And if I am still awake after all of that, I come to the forum!

Ya, know. I think my thing is that I'm a single father with 4 kids, full time, and if I'm just sitting, people tend to think I don't have enough to do. But if I'm busy with something, anything really, then I'm generally not asked to do something else...

So it can be hard to just sit. Though I love to when I can.

We've actually got a nice Samsung 65" TV with an Xbox Series X, and my 12 year old asked me if we could replace it with a big aquarium. I'mma call that a tiny victory.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 12:36 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

We've actually got a nice Samsung 65" TV with an Xbox Series X, and my 12 year old asked me if we could replace it with a big aquarium. I'mma call that a tiny victory.

Getting the kid to trade the Xbox and tv for an aquarium is a lot more than a tiny victory!

On 3/12/2022 at 3:22 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

How many of you have trouble just enjoying the finished project and waiting patiently for the next water change or whatever?

At the end of the day when it just isn't practical to start on something else I can watch the TV and the larger fish tanks from the recliner.ย  The Tinfoil Barb activity can easy be viewed from the next room.ย 

Shortly before lights out I will pull up a chair in front of the planted 29 gallon community tank and just study the fish and plants as the tank goes dark.ย  Even then I will sometimes get a sudden urge to trim the older Elodea and feed it to the other fish.

I don't have any finished projects, they are either ongoing or stalled for various reasons, waiting for mother nature to make a decision as to what I must do next.ย ย 

• 3 weeks later...

I freakin' love just seeing what's different every day. And I love seeing what's the same too, for that matter. I've got an old, hand-me-down recliner that I've moved so I can see all 4 of my current tanks if I swivel around. That's a lot better than the kitchen chair I've been dragging around. I love watching the fish up close, but it's starting to make my neck and shoulders hurt after an hour or so.

On 3/12/2022 at 12:22 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

There's always something!

Take a day, pour some tea, and see if your plants are pearling or not. Review settings, just sit and take in the tank and think about what you really want out of it. Enjoy that labor and just enjoy the fish. See how they are acting, their behaviors. Learn them moreso than before.

It's such a cool part of the hobby to be at the point you're at and enjoying it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 1:46 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

I freakin' love just seeing what's different every day. And I love seeing what's the same too, for that matter. I've got an old, hand-me-down recliner that I've moved so I can see all 4 of my current tanks if I swivel around. That's a lot better than the kitchen chair I've been dragging around. I love watching the fish up close, but it's starting to make my neck and shoulders hurt after an hour or so.

I still use the kitchen chair for close viewing.ย  It weighs less than the recliner, and I am less likely to fall asleep.ย  For general viewing, my recliner is also positioned to see the fish and the TV.๐Ÿ™‚