Father/Daughter (newbie) Tank

Chris2022

Hi Folks, 

My daughter and I started are new to aquariums and recently started a planted tank. Currently the brown diatoms inhabiting our tank and started sticking to the glass. The pictures are a week apart.... I did make a few changes based on the advice of the forum, such as moving the little java fern from the soil to another log and I trimmed and replanted some of the plants in the back. We are hoping to be able to introduce fish soon.          

IMG_1249.jpg.1d66726f3f86078b59ad1c7252391b04.jpgIMG_1260.jpg.99235498c0d5316e4d656da829f788da.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 2

#1 as a dad I really appreciate what you're doing. #2 it looks great plants are all appropriately planted and looking great. #3 diatoms and brown smudge algaes will go just as quick as they came. Good time to introduce some snails - nerites are great, they leave some eggs around but are pleasant to look at and great algae eaters. Also a cheaper way to gauge if your getting close on your cycle #4 have fun, this is a great journey you are on let us know how to help and keep it enjoyable. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 11:10 AM, StockEwe49 said:

@Chris2022 I would recommend getting a mag float algae scrapper to scrape the front of your aquarium if you want to get rid of the algae. they also sell blade attachments that help with tougher algae. 

I ordered one as soon as you mentioned it. Should be here in a few days. I also bought some easy carbon. I hope it helps. Thanks

On 2/7/2022 at 2:27 PM, Griznatch said:

Welcome to the forum!

A little bit of algae isn't too bad. If you haven't tried yet, maybe try cutting back on how long the light is on for, maybe down to 8 or even 6 hours?

I did adjust the light settings. I have them on a timer. I also bought some easy carbon. I hope it helps. Thanks

On 2/8/2022 at 7:50 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Diatoms are the worst phase to a new tank I swear, makes everything look dirty. It's my least favorite part. XD 

The tank looks great! What do you plan to stock it with?

We have been discussing having a betta with some neon tetras and loaches or pleco + snail/shrimp. We haven't worked it all out... but this is what we are looking at.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

#1 as a dad I really appreciate what you're doing. #2 it looks great plants are all appropriately planted and looking great. #3 diatoms and brown smudge algaes will go just as quick as they came. Good time to introduce some snails - nerites are great, they leave some eggs around but are pleasant to look at and great algae eaters. Also a cheaper way to gauge if your getting close on your cycle #4 have fun, this is a great journey you are on let us know how to help and keep it enjoyable. 

We are considering nerites... but we have been hesitant to add snails. We want to make sure the tank is suitable and we still haven't fully worked out what we are going to stock it with. We definitely want a betta and some tetras. We seen a few videos for ideal betta mates, that recommend shrimps and other snails but we haven't figured it out yet . Additionally, I bought some easy carbon to help the tank out and some of the reviews indicated that it killed their snails. How do the snails indicate if the tank is close to completing the cycle? Thanks mate. I appreciate the help.

• Like 3

@Chris2022here is a lengthy answer, sorry mate!

I would say if the snail(s) are scooting around eating algae and plant matter there's a good chance adding fish will go well. I usually let the tank get through the diatom phase and grow some green algae and or have new leaf growth before I add fish. The one issue with nerites is they are so efficient at eating green algaes (not hair algae) that you may not see it. That as well as 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and detectable nitrates after 2 successive water changes on a test strip or kit. It's easy for me to say as I have been doing this a long time but when you are beginning I would rely on numbers to guide you. 

With stocking go slow, I would start with the tetras, danios or rasboras, then I would pick the most chill betta in the display - if they flare and try to attack your finger they may not be your fish. Mind you these are also the most fun to interact with so maybe somewhere in the middle of that. 

In terms of tankmates, bettas are a crap shoot. The betta my sons and I have now killed all his tankmates the first day - amano shrimp, neocaridina and snails. He was a right homicidal maniac. One consideration is that these are animals that have been deprived for so long of any stimulation that maybe this is just an initial reaction to all the stimuli. I am considering trying again with fish no snails or shrimps but I will have his little tank ready to pull him out the instant I see real aggression. Others are super chill and could care less - if you search on the forum you will see both instances it sounds like you've noted this already. It is very individual. 

Danios, Rasboras, or Tetras should be fast enough to avoid attack. The only issue is the slowest bettas are also the most likely for the others to nip at. A plakat betta (which is what we have) should prevent/help this.

It always feels when starting that you don't want to disappoint the kids and you don't want anything to die. My 6 year old son's tank had a horrible ammonia and nitrate episode and all his fish died (dead mystery snail hidden in the underbrush only found it after I cleaned up the tank) including his beloved guppies - he had a sales and marketing plan for those fish. Anyway, we gave it a couple weeks and got the tank cleaned and ready to go again and he's been fine. I think it taught him a lot in all honesty and he's always respected his tank more since then. My 4 year old is a different story!

(PS the bioload of a nerite is very different from the load of a mystery or apple snail so don't worry too much about what happened to us). 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Chris2022here is a lengthy answer, sorry mate!

I would say if the snail(s) are scooting around eating algae and plant matter there's a good chance adding fish will go well. I usually let the tank get through the diatom phase and grow some green algae and or have new leaf growth before I add fish. The one issue with nerites is they are so efficient at eating green algaes (not hair algae) that you may not see it. That as well as 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and detectable nitrates after 2 successive water changes on a test strip or kit. It's easy for me to say as I have been doing this a long time but when you are beginning I would rely on numbers to guide you. 

With stocking go slow, I would start with the tetras, danios or rasboras, then I would pick the most chill betta in the display - if they flare and try to attack your finger they may not be your fish. Mind you these are also the most fun to interact with so maybe somewhere in the middle of that. 

In terms of tankmates, bettas are a crap shoot. The betta my sons and I have now killed all his tankmates the first day - amano shrimp, neocaridina and snails. He was a right homicidal maniac. One consideration is that these are animals that have been deprived for so long of any stimulation that maybe this is just an initial reaction to all the stimuli. I am considering trying again with fish no snails or shrimps but I will have his little tank ready to pull him out the instant I see real aggression. Others are super chill and could care less - if you search on the forum you will see both instances it sounds like you've noted this already. It is very individual. 

Danios, Rasboras, or Tetras should be fast enough to avoid attack. The only issue is the slowest bettas are also the most likely for the others to nip at. A plakat betta (which is what we have) should prevent/help this.

It always feels when starting that you don't want to disappoint the kids and you don't want anything to die. My 6 year old son's tank had a horrible ammonia and nitrate episode and all his fish died (dead mystery snail hidden in the underbrush only found it after I cleaned up the tank) including his beloved guppies - he had a sales and marketing plan for those fish. Anyway, we gave it a couple weeks and got the tank cleaned and ready to go again and he's been fine. I think it taught him a lot in all honesty and he's always respected his tank more since then. My 4 year old is a different story!

(PS the bioload of a nerite is very different from the load of a mystery or apple snail so don't worry too much about what happened to us). 

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully the betta we choose will be chill! We may add some snails or shrimp before we add the betta. 

• Like 1