Budget Fish room build

Taco Playz

So I was just watching videos recently and I something crossed my mind. I'm getting a bit deeper into breeding fish and want to expand the fish room. So I googled Cinderblock Fish wall build and there was Cory's video. So now I have gotten myself into a hole because I want to do this build so bad but I'm only a Teen with hardly any money. That's where I started thinking about the cinderblock fish wall idea.. 

So I have been doing research and I have pretty limited money to use on this project.

Give me the cheapest and best option on 

-Lids

-Lights

-Also the Aquariums themselves

I have been looking at Petco and they of course have the best deals on tanks even without the dollar per gallon sale.

Thanks, here are the dimensions of what I have to work with and I will send a blueprint and the space that I have to work with.

Note* this build may not happen immediately but I will definitely happen in the future.  

Dimensions of what I have to work with 15 inches deep of space, 4 feet long, 5 feet and 4 inches tall. Thanks

Edited by Taco Playz
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

This is awesome.

Definitely make sure you leave at least 1x cinder block on floor under your lowest tank(s) so you can drain / siphon / water change easily.

Try to build near a bathroom. It makes everything much easier.

Be mindful of weight if you’re building against a wall. Try to build against a wall where the floor beams are perpendicular underneath, not parallel. If you’re building in a cement floor basement or garage, perfect - no worries about weight.

Think about using several electrical circuits if possible. If you plug everything into one circuit, all heaters, pumps, filters, lights, fans, dehumidifiers, you risk tripping it eventually.

For summer humidity, you’ll eventually  need some dehumidifiers going to prevent major mold buildup. Tanks are excellent for dry winters (in northern hemisphere).

Watch a lot of @WhitecloudDynasty videos to get a sense of how he sets up his fishroom. I also suggest studying Dan’s Fish for simple ideas.

Make sure you leave enough room above / between tanks / shelves for a large specimen container to fit (ca. 8-inches). You’ll be thankful when you need to remove fry too!

Depending on what you want to breed, you can conserve space by stacking 10-gal. tanks side-by-side longways out from the wall. Personally, I don’t like this. I enjoy 20-gal. long tanks, and I like space.

Make sure you think through how you’ll access tubes and wires.

”Think 10x. Measure 3x. Build 1x.”

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 1/1/2022 at 1:15 PM, Fish Folk said:

This is awesome.

Definitely make sure you leave at least 1x cinder block on floor under your lowest tank(s) so you can drain / siphon / water change easily.

Try to build near a bathroom. It makes everything much easier.

Be mindful of weight if you’re building against a wall. Try to build against a wall where the floor beams are perpendicular underneath, not parallel. If you’re building in a cement floor basement or garage, perfect - no worries about weight.

Think about using several electrical circuits if possible. If you plug everything into one circuit, all heaters, pumps, filters, lights, fans, dehumidifiers, you risk tripping it eventually.

For summer humidity, you’ll eventually  need some dehumidifiers going to prevent major mold buildup. Tanks are excellent for dry winters (in northern hemisphere).

Watch a lot of @WhitecloudDynasty videos to get a sense of how he sets up his fishroom. I also suggest studying Dan’s Fish for simple ideas.

Make sure you leave enough room above / between tanks / shelves for a large specimen container to fit (ca. 8-inches). You’ll be thankful when you need to remove fry too!

Depending on what you want to breed, you can conserve space by stacking 10-gal. tanks side-by-side longways out from the wall. Personally, I don’t like this. I enjoy 20-gal. long tanks, and I like space.

Make sure you think through how you’ll access tubes and wires.

”Think 10x. Measure 3x. Build 1x.”

This is so much helpful information!!! @Fish Folk Do you know of any good DIY lids that I could use because glass lids can be pretty steep. It's currently carpet but we are going to do hardwood flooring on it. I already have 2 spare 10 gallons that I'm gonna use on it. Also do you have any really cheap fish lights that I could use? TYSM!!!

• Like 1

I am also a teen with not a lot of money and I have set up a cinder block aquarium rack in a similar amount of space so hopefully I can help you out a bit here. I found that club auctions and Facebook marketplace are the best places to find really cheap aquariums and even some lights- I have found a 20l for $7 and a 10 gal with a hood for $5 you just have to be patient to find the deals. I haven’t tried this yet but I know that Cory has a video about cutting  a greenhouse panel from Home Depot into good looking cheap lids. The best advice I can give you is set up the racks to fit the aquariums that you want to/can fit on it then as you get the money and find good deals purchase the aquariums and equipment you need. Pretty much don’t think that you need to do it all at once. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

I am also a teen with not a lot of money and I have set up a cinder block aquarium rack in a similar amount of space so hopefully I can help you out a bit here. I found that club auctions and Facebook marketplace are the best places to find really cheap aquariums and even some lights- I have found a 20l for $7 and a 10 gal with a hood for $5 you just have to be patient to find the deals. I haven’t tried this yet but I know that Cory has a video about cutting  a greenhouse panel from Home Depot into good looking cheap lids. The best advice I can give you is set up the racks to fit the aquariums that you want to/can fit on it then as you get the money and find good deals purchase the aquariums and equipment you need. Pretty much don’t think that you need to do it all at once. Hope this helps!

Definetly deserves a follow from me! I’m on a neighborhood page and they often give tanks away for free but very rarely! THANKS SO MUCH!!

On 1/1/2022 at 2:26 PM, Fish Folk said:

For cheap lids, Cory has videos on cutting this stuff to size…

E0EE9752-90C6-47A1-86C4-BB6527EECB83.jpeg.ee5ed5682fd1055dad967863afb5bde6.jpeg

I use this Hyper-Tough cabinet LED lighting. Very cheap…

CDD04F4A-7475-44D4-ACBC-5B95507FA95C.jpeg.413193de37d3ae4b4c5ade3e862ba5a4.jpeg

If too bright, I use a piece of custom-cut cupboard liner underneath to filter / limit light…

39875AB4-04A1-438D-BFF7-E23B1D4EDC94.jpeg.5eb857b4d248a6ce1c4dfcfb4e894ffe.jpeg

So helpful!! I’ll DEFINITELY be using those lights and the lid because they are so cheap. Thanks

On 1/1/2022 at 2:20 PM, T. Payne said:

For lids I use double wall polycarbonate roofing panels. I buy them from Home Depot and they are normally used for greenhouses. 

Thanks I’ll look them up!

• Like 2

I think it’s been said a couple of times, but I’ll reiterate to look at the used market. People are always getting out of the hobby or selling excess equipment. You can get some really good deals on tanks, lights, lids, whole set ups, etc on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, and your local fish club. 

• Thanks 1

Couple of things I'll mention that gave me great bang for the buck in my fish room.

I make my own sliding glass lids.  This is the way to do it if you are having your tank viewing on end. Check out fish boys video on how to make it.  If viewing normal I would do the poly as mentioned. 

If heating the room isn't an option.  Look into using heat tape in lieu of individual heaters. That's what I use and it works great for my rack. Check out hoon aquatics for a video explaining it. 

For lighting I used barrina led t5 48 inch 6500k fixtures.  Got 8 for like $55 on Amazon. Super bright, easy to hang and link together. Growing plants like crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cinder blocks and 2x4s make for very cheap and modular racking system.  The 6" wide blocks are what I use.

For lights 5000k-6500k led shop lights can be found for less than $20, can light multiple tanks and grow plants as well. 

I tried the polycarbonate lids, but they need to be cut straight. I cut them with a box cutter on the floor and they didn't fit well so I became frustrated and bought the glass lids. The corners I cut for the airline were also death traps for my endlers so use hot glue to plug the holes.

Unless you need 80°f+ temps IMO heaters are not really needed but keep one on hand for treating diseases.

The space you have is somewhat limited. Looks like a pair of 20 longs one over the other or a 20l below with 2 15s or 20hs up top, maybe just a single 55 or 4 10g.

What I did was plan out my wall on graph paper at one square = one inch. Remember that you need to have access above the tanks for maintenance 8 inches bare minimum. You can look up tank sizes online and plan it out from there.

One you get your plan together you can start to aquire the materials as your budget allows while keeping and eye out for deals.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 10:29 PM, Wingman12r said:

Cinder blocks and 2x4s make for very cheap and modular racking system.  The 6" wide blocks are what I use.

For lights 5000k-6500k led shop lights can be found for less than $20, can light multiple tanks and grow plants as well. 

I tried the polycarbonate lids, but they need to be cut straight. I cut them with a box cutter on the floor and they didn't fit well so I became frustrated and bought the glass lids. The corners I cut for the airline were also death traps for my endlers so use hot glue to plug the holes.

Unless you need 80°f+ temps IMO heaters are not really needed but keep one on hand for treating diseases.

The space you have is somewhat limited. Looks like a pair of 20 longs one over the other or a 20l below with 2 15s or 20hs up top, maybe just a single 55 or 4 10g.

What I did was plan out my wall on graph paper at one square = one inch. Remember that you need to have access above the tanks for maintenance 8 inches bare minimum. You can look up tank sizes online and plan it out from there.

One you get your plan together you can start to aquire the materials as your budget allows while keeping and eye out for deals.

Thanks so much! I used regular line paper for the graph but I’ll have to try graph paper because it’ll be easier. Deserves a follow!

What are you planning to breed?  Just curious. 

I don't have any experience in what you're wanting to do, but I thought I'd share things I've learned. 

The DIY lids mentioned above can work well but make sure:

1) you have the tools to cut it properly 

2) you have the space to transport it if you buy it from the store

3) plan the cuts to maximize the use of the entire sheet. 

4) make sure you have room to store the unused sheets (unless you cut them all to size in advance. 

5) plan to either put a knob or handle to easily open it, and maybe even cut a small part out to feed (not a good idea if you have jumpers in there). 

You'll want an appropriately sized air pump and gang valve.    Running sponges is the most cost saving filtration. 

I like the lights option mentioned above.  I have no experience with plants yet, but I think you'd have to get low tech plants so you don't have to worry about these high powered light demands, co2 diffusers, fertilizers, etc..   I have an old hood on my 10 gallon originally with incandescent lights.  I replaced it with cheap but bright LED.   It should be good enough for low tech plants. 

Smart plugs are good too for programming lights. 

My assumption is someone else is paying the electric bills.   Be mindful of light usage and heaters.  The bump in the electric bill will be noticeable if they are on many hours a day. 

• Love 1

On 1/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, Taco Playz said:

Shell dwellers

I'm sure you did your research on that.  My desire for my next tank was shell dwellers, but the temperature requirements were to high for my basement.  

If your pH is too low for them, like mine, I'd save up for caribsea african cichlid sand, instead of the cheaper sands.  It buffers the water just right for them (I'm told - not from experience).    The same was recommended to me. 

You may need something more than a sponge for filtration. Consider those when planning your layout and budget. 

• Like 1

I made a post on the forums a while back on some HDX 27 gallon tubs, they will give you the same effect that Cory has with his apple totes just they are much smaller, the hdx tubs only hold shape up to the 27g size, the 55 will bow. 

the great thing about the hdx totes was pre Covid they were 9.99 I think they have since gone up to like 12 dollars but you can get a ton of them for cheap, I use them for breeding

i also set up an intex pool, Covid really inflated their prices last I checked but I got two 90 gallons for 28 dollars.  

68AD6B23-3CBF-4470-AAFA-98B8A0E656B9.jpeg

F5F1EAEA-3E4D-424D-8050-EAC3BEA89951.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The only other thing to consider imo is the cost in time.

When I was in highschool I had three tanks and was breeding guppies for about 2 years. I also had a part-time job, did track and was in choir. I spent my free time with my animals but it did get to be too much and I had to stop breeding and just have two tanks. Then I moved away and had nowhere to keep fish which meant my fish became my dad's responsibility.