Road to the AGA Dutch Style Competition/Ended

On 1/22/2022 at 12:58 PM, Patrick_G said:

I asked Cory about similar products that could be added to the Easy Green line. He said probably not, but if enough folks show interest then who knows. He did mention the possibility of an auto doser. For lazy people like me that would be very helpful! 

I looked into auto dosing. I'm not sure if I want to fiddle with it to be honest.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 2:27 PM, Jennifer V said:

For me, it's like watching a foreign film. I have no idea what language all of you are speaking but I'm totally enthralled nonetheless.

I know what you mean! I have a vague idea, but mostly just use context and google to figure out the techniques @Mmiller2001 uses. I’m learning a lot! 

• Love 1

On 1/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Photo update:

Wallichii improving, Hygrophila is actually doing something now, though deformed and the Cyperus Helferi has popped new growth. I was worried it didn't make the trip.

Today I will twirl some algae spaghetti, move the lily right a bit and trim the street.

PXL_20220122_174554183~3.jpg

@gjcarew Contrast okay here?

I blurred this photo to try and focus on colors.

mmiller12422blurred.jpg.06ae677938874117bd0068c929374a12.jpg

The wallichii and the limnophila aromatica are pretty similar right now, as are the the syngonanthus and the hygrophila siamensis. The first two will probably start to differentiate in color as you add more light. The syngonanthus you may want to move, potentially into the empty area to the right of your lily? Depends on if the hygrophila siamensis turns a lighter green as it grows, which it does in my tank. I think the lily looks great where it is.

397778000_mmiller12422grayscale.jpg.89dfc70f2feae06289b6d8514a53f5ee.jpg

The textural contrast is great. The myriophyllum guyana kinda throws things off but the otherwise you can very clearly identify the different plants groups by texture alone, and no two groups anywhere in the tank look particularly similar.

• Like 5

Thank you forgetting back to me. You confirmed my concerns and I've taken corrective action. I've removed the Wallichii and replaced it with Bacopa Colorata. I thinned the tank out and I'm starting my new fertilizer procedure tomorrow. I'm looking for alternatives for the Belem and Repens also. It's probably a bad idea to force the plants I want into the scape. I will see how the Bacopa changes things before any other "big changes.\

Thank you again!

PXL_20220125_022447598~3.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 3

Congratulations, grandpa!

I see your moss wall better now, and I have a question. 

Do the rules require you to use the canvas in a whole sheet? And does it need to be mounted a specific way?

The reason I ask, is because I discovered that using @Guppysnail's method of raising and lowering plants, it's easier to get the mosses to cover plastic canvas faster when a bunch of [smaller] squares are used, and are initially flat (horizontal) under the light.

Then suction cups can be used to mount the moss covered squares to make the moss wall.

I haven't read the guidelines, so it may not meet the judging criteria. I just thought I should share what I found to work, and I bet with your CO2 it would grow even faster.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, Hobbit said:

Haha most of the forum sees fry in their tank and says, “Eeee baby fish must raise them! 😍@Mmiller2001 says “Um… 😐 well I guess my fish get free food!”

I totally respect that though. 😄 You’ve got to stay focused on your goal!

Now that you say it that way...😜. What I meant to say is, unfortunately, I have nowhere to raise additional fish! 

• Haha 2

On 2/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Algae algae algae, more maintenance more maintenance. That's my update! 

I bought the GLA CO2 reactor to try and I will update my thoughts on it in a week or so. So far, it's about the same as the DIY. 

PXL_20220201_175947188.jpg

PXL_20220201_164931556~3.jpg

When i asked GLA about reactors; they said their inline diffuser works better than a reactor....

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, anewbie said:

When i asked GLA about reactors; they said their inline diffuser works better than a reactor....

So far it's working well. It hits saturation faster than my DIY reactor. I just hate the look of Sprite water, so I do enjoy what a reactor offers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Continued disaster....

The GLA reactor started leaking...took a week to get a replacement part...

Modified my filter to increase turnover, and it vibrates just enough to make it too annoying...

String algae continues....

Reduced lights...dosed some glut...moss and Guyana melted...

I've bought everything I need to do several 3 day blackouts and I'm trying a few other things before going all in on it. Lowering the light only negatively impacted the plants so I bumped them back up to about 45%.

I've added 22 Tangerine Tiger shrimp to the tank. Will this help? Can they survive a 4.8ish pH? Practice what I preach right? PH isn't a problem, right 👍. I have a SAE in QT now and if these 2 things can clear this tank... I'm scrapping it...

Maybe @Beardedbillygoat1975can tell me if I just flushed 80 bucks down the drain with the Tangerine Tigers...

PXL_20220218_170009476.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 1:25 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

@Seattle_Aquarist How would you tackle a massive thread algae outbreak when using glut or hydrogen peroxide might/would damage moss and sensitive plants?

This is where I'm heading.

https://barrreport.com/threads/multiple-blackout-method-for-algae-control.6244/

Hi @Mmiller2001

When all else fails ask Roy! -lol 

Typically I get hair algae outbreaks when I have high ammonia levels, what is your current ammonia NH3 level in that tank with the Aquasoil? 

How often are you changing water in your tank? 

What percentage of the tank volume are you changing? -Roy

There was ammonia a while ago, but nothing now. I moved the fish in 6 at a time over 4 weeks. That said, I will check again to be 100% sure. Now that I think of it, I have been doing a lot of filter cleaning and gravel vacuuming. Spiking ammonia is likely.

I was doing 60% to 80% twice a week and have now moved to 50%. So 50% for the last several weeks (15 to 17 gallons).

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 3:24 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

There was ammonia a while ago, but nothing now. I moved the fish in 6 at a time over 4 weeks. That said, I will check again to be 100% sure. Now that I think of it, I have been doing a lot of filter cleaning and gravel vacuuming. Spiking ammonia is likely.

I was doing 60% to 80% twice a week and have now moved to 50%. So 50% for the last several weeks (15 to 17 gallons).

Hi @Mmiller2001

Yes, please check the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels if you can and let me know.