Road to the AGA Dutch Style Competition/Ended

On 12/7/2021 at 1:59 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Mmiller2001I agree with you and would not use the aponogeton, it will dominate the tank which is exactly what you don't want in a Dutch scape. I am starting to feel like it is one of those plants that is a 55 g and over plant unless you want a jungle scape. 

It grew 5 inches over night. Yeah, it's out.

• Like 1

Updated the plant list.

Ammonia holding at .25ppm and just a touch of algae on the older portions of the plants. I think the plants are loving the ammonia! I still need to add some extra soil in the front, hopefully next week. 

Water changes and extra PO4 dosing continue, "Holy PO4 consumption Batman."

Moved/arranged a few foreground plants, we will see if they look okay after they grow some. I'm thinking the left side, needs to go in a leftward direction? 

The Cabomba looks like a loss, I'm not going to touch it. I might have to buy it again though. 

*And now that I'm looking at these pictures, I already have color contrast issues....this won't be easy....

Maybe it's the light settings 😉

PXL_20211208_205715020.jpg

PXL_20211208_205805099.jpg

PXL_20211208_205825377.jpg

Draw.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

Updated plant list, I have reduced it to 13 species now.

Big maintenance day as I'm really starting to get the new tank algae. I added 4 Rams Horn snails and I will be adding more as I pull them out of the 75. I added an additional bag of soil and I think I'm good with soil depth. I rearranged a few plants and a 90% water change. Ammonia has dropped to near 0ppm and I will begin stocking it soon, but not before 30 days QT in meds. My QT tank is just about ready. 

I feel like I'm behind on stocking. But for now, I will keep adding snails. Hopefully they will keep things a bit cleaner. I've also settled on Serpae Tetra as my stocking. 14 of them!

Maybe Oto's?

December 15 2021.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/15/2021 at 5:36 PM, Sumson said:

Looking good so far! I found this article about dutch aquascapes and it goes into depth about plant choices if you were still trying to reduce it. I can't wait to see the end result!

Thank you and yes; I have read through that one and a few others. I will have it reduced to the final 9 or 10 within the next 3 weeks.

***And on a positive note, I received my Spatulata this evening, it's officially on the list. And is now the rarest plant in my tanks.

• Love 1

Bit taller now. This is when I start getting excited 😆.

I'm thinking Bacopa Colorata is going in to this tank. We will see.

The diatoms are winning at the moment. 

I'm also dosing 9ppm PO4 every 3-4 days, nutz!

I still have to reduce to 9 species, this coming water change will be a big decision day. I need to start  propagating and get a smoother arrangement too.

PXL_20211219_234502695~3.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1
  • Love 2