Are lids really needed?

outspoken

I have 3 tanks and I'm about to get another one. Never used a lid before, I've just kept them open topped with lights going across.

I don't plan on housing any Marlins so the likelihood of them jumping out of the tank seems very little or am I naive? What are the benefits to a tank lid? I read that evaporation is one, however to me that just seems like water collecting on top and gathering bacteria or other things from the lid then dropping back into the tank which I'm not interested in.

My aquariums are freshwater community tanks with species like guppies, tetra, snails and cory catfish. This new tank might have an angelfish in it.

• Administrators

A lid keeps in heat and moisture. Each tank you have that is uncovered introduces higher electricity bills, and the possibility of mold long term. Without lids, I'd invest in a humidistat at least to make sure you aren't creating an environment to cause damage to walls or people.

On 10/4/2021 at 5:24 PM, Cory said:

A lid keeps in heat and moisture. Each tank you have that is uncovered introduces higher electricity bills, and the possibility of mold long term. Without lids, I'd invest in a humidistat at least to make sure you aren't creating an environment to cause damage to walls or people.

That's a very interesting point. We have split AC ducts near the tanks that keep the humidity in check, however the heating elements in the tank are likely working overtime to maintain the temperature settings. I'll try a lid on one of the tanks. Thankfully I have energy monitoring and light automation setup with Home-Assistant, so I can look at historical usage and make a comparison to see if it helps.

^Keeping the humidity down in the house is a big reason to try a lid.

In terms of jumping—I’ve lost probably four tetras (neon or cardinal) and one platy because they jumped out of the tank. I’ve only been keeping fish for about 2 years. So it does happen! 

Stopping fish from jumping out is the main motivation for me.  But they do also hold in heat and humidity.  I’m not sure just a few tanks would make a notable difference on your bill, but a whole fish room, maybe, depending on how many tanks, how warm the tanks need to be, etc.

I'm in the desert, and we run tanks instead of a humidifier. If the house humidity goes up too much, I just put saran wrap across the top to cover the majority of the tank. 

I also keep my water levels lower, because I have plants growing up and out of most of my tanks, and I don't want fish jumping. [Like most of my tanks water levels are 3" below the rim, with plants]

• Like 1

It depends on what fish you are keeping, if you have jumpers yes, if you want limited evaporation, yes, 

bur practically? No, I keep no lids on any aquarium and actually prefer no lids at all, I like the extra air along the top, the top down viewing experience and the ability to add more light and plants to grow out the top, so I prefer no lids ever 

• Like 1

I've had guppies die on the floor, 2 species of snail readily crawl out, and my 1 angelfish jumps half-way out when startled. (I remember seeing an angelfish in one of the Peru videos jump entirely out of the water.) 

I haven't kept the other species you mentioned, but I'm guessing that the number of species that are safe without a lid is very small. 

If I needed to go without a lid, I'd lower the water level enough that the walls of the tank, above the water, are at least the length of the longest fish's body. Or at least 3" to protect the snails - whichever length is greatest.

• Like 1

I keep my tanks topped up to the rim, so Algae is a problem.  Lids help keep the fish, heat and water in, and the pets, kids, toys and lights out.

The egg crate diffusers also allow you to feed the fish and add water without removing the lid.

• Like 1

There are lids and there are lids. The typical glass lid can be bad if a fish tries to jump and goes thud on the heavy glass lid. And most fish will jump if startled. It's in their nature. I now use the PVC trim boards to build hoods over the tank that serve as a lid, but the glass/acrylic is well above the waterline (8"-12") giving the fish lots of jumping room before they hit something too hard. The hoods still contain humidity inside the hood/tank, helps keep the tank warm, but also lets the fish do what they do (jump) without getting killed. Plants can grow up out of the water and everyone's happy. A couple of photos of one of my hoods is below. 

IMG_20201123_075621259_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201123_075611283.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I  keep lids on all my tanks, but it didn't totally solve the jumping issue for me...there's about a 1 inch gap on my 95 gallon, and it's quite a jump to get out.  BUT I had a swordtail do it...she didn't jump to the floor.  She jumped ONTO the lid.  I found her all dried up under the lights.😟

• Sad 3