Need Aquarium Ideas

amr427

I have a small Fluval Spec 2.6gal tank that I have had for years but its been empty collecting dust in the basement. Feeling like it is time to get it back out and finally become a multi-tank household😂

A beta is the first thing that comes to mind but I'd love to hear anyones suggestion on what else I could do in it! 

Thanks!

P.S. I have very hard water here so I have to keep that in mind.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:57 PM, Chris said:

A small colony of Thai Micro Crabs would be fun, albeit expensive and hard to track down.

Freshwater Pom-Pom Crabs are a blast! I kept one in a 2.5 gallon, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I saw one in an LFS.

Never heard of a Pom Pom Crab before so I googled it, they are funny little things!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:42 PM, amr427 said:

Never heard of a Pom Pom Crab before so I googled it, they are funny little things!

There are saltwater and freshwater crabs under that name - make sure you're looking at the freshwater version!

They're filter feeders, and while they can be really shy, I found that mine was pretty outgoing in a planted tank all by itself. Hardest part about them is finding one! When you do see them, they're usually pretty cheap.

Hard water and a tiny tank? Yeah, shrimp and/or snails are ideal. But just a few tiny livebearers might work, since they like hard water. The easiest to find would probably be a few male endlers. (Females would be too big.) But least killifish (not really killifish) are also tiny livebearers. They might be worth a bit of research if you like calmer colors. 

Tiny hardwater fish could go with snails for sure. They probably could go with shrimp if you give tons of hiding spots for the shrimplets - or if you're okay with shrimplets being easy live food. 

• Like 1

I agree with inverts: Neo shrimp (sooo many colors to choose from!), ramshorns, and pond life (ostracods, copepods, etc.) and plants.

I have a 2.5 liter jar set up like this, planted, and it's been super fun to watch on my desk. I use a desk lamp for cloudy days, but it gets morning sun most of the year. I started with 3 adult cherry shrimp, and now I have a variety of sizes growing up. Need to figure out a safe way to remove some.

image.png.4175a65c1150ba1c8df05e624eb4ef43.png

image.png.9622d591264b8b97b6a3bb6c974245b9.png

image.png.13097ced70ef581c78e5c0612286333f.png

• Like 1

If you are on the fence about shrimp - I originally wasn't interested in them as thought I didn't really like them but eventually decided to get some cherry shrimp anyway to add to the clean up crew/general biodiversity/eco system or whatever is the correct term - I subsequently discovered I really like watching them and love the colour they add so now I think a shrimp only tank would actually be awesome. If there was a way to make different colour cherry shrimp only breed with their own colour line I'd love a multicoloured shrimp tank! 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:01 PM, Guppysnail said:

That was eco complete I got rid of it. The single most miserable substrate I ever encountered I do not recommend 

Good to know-I've been seeing a lot of online folks say that they love it and was thinking about getting some.  I have solid black gravel-maybe I'll just mix in a little brownish gravel and see how that looks.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:07 AM, amr427 said:

Why did you dislike it so much? 

It is hard to plant in it’s too light to hold the plants without weights. It has iron I believe (I did not know) it is attracted to the magnetic mag float and leaves horrible scratches in the glass. At first my nitrates were unaffected and I’m not sciencey so don’t know why but it almost seems like it got (full?) and even if I did not feed my nitrates kept skyrocketing.  I read on the web others experienced this. I tried vacuuming…did not work and with the fine particles it removed the eco. It fades a lot and I did not like the look once faded. Most importantly my blue eyed bristlenose avoided the substrate. They would not lay on it or forage in it. I replaced with gravel and they immediately started foraging and resting on the inert gravel. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1