Signs of MTS and the affect it has on our loved ones.

Atitagain

On 9/24/2021 at 12:59 PM, Griznatch said:

OMG, you guys are killing me  🤣

There are times where I'm sure if i had a cement floor, there wouldn't be a spare wall anywhere not covered in tanks...

If the deciding factor on your decision to overpay for a house was a basement, concrete floors, a shed, or any kind of good space for a fishroom you absolutely have MTS and I want to come visit😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In case someone clueless reads this thread: If MTS contributes to you not paying your utility bills on time, or not buying whatever prescriptions you need, that ain't funny. Never will be. Cut it out.

Back to the thread... My arms have more duckweed than freckles!

ETA: If a tank gets some kind of weakness on the top half, I'll use it half full as a "pond." 

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 9/24/2021 at 1:12 PM, Kylec said:

I have contracted MTS and have this insatiable urge to get more tanks. I don't have much time before symptoms are present... girlfriend has no idea currently as my one tank has not multiplied. I dont know how much longer I can last when there is an empty vessel in my shed. 

PLEASE SEND HELP! 

Lol got em, don’t fight it’s not really the dark side so come on over 

as far as the girlfriend just wait till a fish has babies and tell her it’s a must to have a 120G isolation tank. 😎

On 9/24/2021 at 1:12 PM, Patrick_G said:

I would react but….. 

all the proof we need you obviously have MTS

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

<<Looks around at everyone sheepishly>>Hello, I'm Beccs410...and I have MTS...I live in an 1100 sq ft apartment and I have 4 tanks plus a QT...a tank for almost every room of the house...I dream of one day moving to a home with a garage that I can convert into a fish room...or even just a bigger apartment...maybe with a little alcove for a rack or two of more tanks. I frequently find myself in my bedroom, watching TV with my husband when, out of the corner of my eye, I see my betta swimming around in his tank across from me, so I start to watch him. Suddenly, I realize I've been watching the tank for an hour, and I've missed the entire movie. I have to walk into the kitchen for something and I stop at my coffee bar to check in on my little Amazonian buddies in their tank, only to stand up ten minutes later and realize that I've forgotten what the hell I needed in the kitchen in the first place. I slip into my guest room and peek in on my snail grow out tank...every...single...time I walk past the guest room, which is every day...on purpose. I have an Excel Spreadsheet with tabs for every tank to keep track of water testing, always looking for consistency and patterns for a better balance. I have two bags of frozen fish food that take up half of my tiny little freezer. My Etsy account is nothing but 3D printed aquarium tools and modifications, aquatic plants, and driftwood sellers. My YouTube is nothing but Fish Fam subscriptions...My husband would say I seriously need help. I say I just need more tanks...just one more tank...or two...or five...

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:42 PM, Beccs410 said:

<<Looks around at everyone sheepishly>>Hello, I'm Beccs410...and I have MTS...I live in an 1100 sq ft apartment and I have 4 tanks plus a QT...a tank for almost every room of the house...I dream of one day moving to a home with a garage that I can convert into a fish room...or even just a bigger apartment...maybe with a little alcove for a rack or two of more tanks. I frequently find myself in my bedroom, watching TV with my husband when, out of the corner of my eye, I see my betta swimming around in his tank across from me, so I start to watch him. Suddenly, I realize I've been watching the tank for an hour, and I've missed the entire movie. I have to walk into the kitchen for something and I stop at my coffee bar to check in on my little Amazonian buddies in their tank, only to stand up ten minutes later and realize that I've forgotten what the hell I needed in the kitchen in the first place. I slip into my guest room and peek in on my snail grow out tank...every...single...time I walk past the guest room, which is every day...on purpose. I have an Excel Spreadsheet with tabs for every tank to keep track of water testing, always looking for consistency and patterns for a better balance. I have two bags of frozen fish food that take up half of my tiny little freezer. My Etsy account is nothing but 3D printed aquarium tools and modifications, aquatic plants, and driftwood sellers. My YouTube is nothing but Fish Fam subscriptions...My husband would say I seriously need help. I say I just need more tanks...just one more tank...or two...or five...

-4 tanks in an apartment -dreams of a house not to make a home but to have a fishroom  -fades of to fish la la land for hours -purposely “accidentally” walks by tanks daily -obsessive note taking -puts own health at risk not providing enough food in home for self -online obsessive behavior social media and shopping

conclusion: acute  MTS seek help immediately and by help obviously I mean buy more tanks 

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2021 at 12:42 PM, Atitagain said:

Have you ever broke out your phone to show pics of your fish to combat someone with newborn baby pics?

Absolutely!    ...but mostly to show previous owners how their fish are doing.  many of my fish are rescues.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:42 PM, Atitagain said:

Have you ever broke out your phone to show pics of your fish to combat someone with newborn baby pics?

Absolutely!    ...but mostly to show previous owners how their fish are doing.  many of my fish are rescues.

• Love 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:16 AM, ARMYVET said:

Thats what happens when you start perusing the forum at 4 am.....Get some sleep Girl Friend...😂

I ran out of reactions 🤣

On 9/24/2021 at 11:12 AM, Kylec said:

PLEASE SEND HELP! 

Where are you located, how many tanks are waiting to be set up, and how many plants do you need?

A nerm CAN NOT allow a fellow nerm to suffer with only one tank set up, it's against nerm code.

🐡🤣🐡🤣🐡🤣🐡🤣🐡🤣🐡

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 9/24/2021 at 4:42 PM, Beccs410 said:

<<Looks around at everyone sheepishly>>Hello, I'm Beccs410...and I have MTS...I live in an 1100 sq ft apartment and I have 4 tanks plus a QT...a tank for almost every room of the house...I dream of one day moving to a home with a garage that I can convert into a fish room...or even just a bigger apartment...maybe with a little alcove for a rack or two of more tanks.

Bec, you are officially one of us.

A fellow MTS apartment dweller here.

When our kitchen exploded and we had to move into an apartment, we used mobility issues as justification for *having* to be on the ground floor with the concrete foundation. 

The MTS *officially* was a secondary reason.😇

In my bedroom is the fish rack, currently housing plants, the turtle environment (which includes 3 cubic feet of digging area/land, plus a 9.998 gallon pond), two 5 gallon drink dispensers converted into aquariums, a 10 gallon tank, and a 3 gallon drink dispenser converted into an amphopod tank and grow out for bacopa carolinia.

My dresser has the Walstad tank, and my bedside table has the fry grow out tank.

Our 55 gallon tank got a crack in the upper 3", so it was no longer fit for being filled with water. It's only sound to hold 30 gallons, so my spouse **very kindly** allowed me to set the 55 up in their room... which required a new stand (of course) and I needed to customize the stand (keep the spouse happy).

We bought a brand new 4' tank for the dining room display tank for my birthday, and since it's going to be a display tank I want it to be set up right from the beginning, so OF COURSE I needed a grow out tank for plants😅

Which brings us to the living room: another 5 gallon conversion from drink dispenser to breeding aquarium (I supply local homeschooling co-ops with planaria for biology classes), an acrylic (I have decided that unless I am drilling a sump, I really prefer glass), and a Back2theRoots tank.

I also have philodendron, pothos, and a dracaena on the table (a solid dining room table converted to fish and  plants table).

Under the aquarium table I store 70% of the fish keeping supplies. I would store everything there, except that I have 4 more tanks underneath waiting to be set up.🤣

I also just broke down the outside ponds (range from 7 gallon to a 60 gal) and they are stored between the wall and the craft cabinet. Luckily, they all stack like a set of Russian dolls. 

Why haven't I set up the last 4 tanks?

Because I want to buy a proper display rack for the living room 🤣🤣🤣🤣

My spouse held a firm boundary on NO TANKS.... in the kitchen or bathroom. 

I also have over a dozen bottles growing infusoria, and a few bottles dedicated to green water, and I still have a container of black worms in the fridge. 🤷‍♂️

I take them out every 72 hours, rinse them, change their water, and feed them. All my tanks (except for the QT) have black worms in the substrate. 

I have an Excel Spreadsheet with tabs for every tank to keep track of water testing, always looking for consistency and patterns for a better balance."

I use a Google doc/google sheets on my phone 🤭

I already ran out of reactions for the day, hopefully I will have more tonight. 🤣🤣😅

On 9/24/2021 at 5:51 PM, ARMYVET said:

I used to be an electrician😈

If I remember correctly, you are only a state away.....🤔

On 9/24/2021 at 6:12 PM, Atitagain said:

-4 tanks in an apartment -dreams of a house not to make a home but to have a fishroom  -fades of to fish la la land for hours -purposely “accidentally” walks by tanks daily -obsessive note taking -puts own health at risk not providing enough food in home for self -online obsessive behavior social media and shopping

conclusion: acute  MTS seek help immediately and by help obviously I mean buy more tanks 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I mean, it's the truth though, right????

Is there really a problem in the world that another tank won't fix?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/24/2021 at 11:19 AM, CalmedByFish said:

In case someone clueless reads this thread: If MTS contributes to you not paying your utility bills on time, or not buying whatever prescriptions you need, that ain't funny. Never will be. Cut it out.

Back to the thread... My arms have more duckweed than freckles!

ETA: If a tank gets some kind of weakness on the top half, I'll use it half full as a "pond." 

I 100% support CalmedByFish on this.

If you can't pay your electric bill, or are having financial issues due to MTS...

tag me.

I have found the least expensive methods of supporting our habit.. I mean hobby. It's a hobby!

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:22 AM, Stacy Z said:

Recently diagnosed with 3 tanks in 3 month. I’d like to say that my treatment is working and I won’t get anymore but I mean FISHEYS!!!!

remember, all programs are 12 steps. first step admit you have a problem, 2nd step seek help, 3rd step ... ah &%^&*😈 it get another tank.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/25/2021 at 12:26 PM, lefty o said:

remember, all programs are 12 steps. first step admit you have a problem, 2nd step seek help, 3rd step ... ah &%^&*😈 it get another tank.

If you follow this program to the end you should end up with 10 new tanks...problems solved!

On 9/25/2021 at 11:44 AM, Torrey said:

A nerm CAN NOT allow a fellow nerm to suffer with only one tank set up, it's against nerm code.

I second that....We are Nerms for life and we dont leave anybody behind...EVER!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 9/25/2021 at 12:17 PM, Torrey said:

fellow MTS apartment dweller here.

When our kitchen exploded and we had to move into an apartment, we used mobility issues as justification for *having* to be on the ground floor with the concrete foundation. 

In my bedroom is the fish rack, currently housing plants, the turtle environment (which includes 3 cubic feet of digging area/land, plus a 9.998 gallon pond), two 5 gallon drink dispensers converted into aquariums, a 10 gallon tank, and a 3 gallon drink dispenser converted into an amphopod tank and grow out for bacopa carolinia.

My dresser has the Walstad tank, and my bedside table has the fry grow out tank.

Our 55 gallon tank got a crack in the upper 3", so it was no longer fit for being filled with water. It's only sound to hold 30 gallons, so my spouse **very kindly** allowed me to set the 55 up in their room... which required a new stand (of course) and I needed to customize the stand (keep the spouse happy).

We bought a brand new 4' tank for the dining room display tank for my birthday, and since it's going to be a display tank I want it to be set up right from the beginning, so OF COURSE I needed a grow out tank for plants😅

Which brings us to the living room: another 5 gallon conversion from drink dispenser to breeding aquarium (I supply local homeschooling co-ops with planaria for biology classes), an acrylic (I have decided that unless I am drilling a sump, I really prefer glass), and a Back2theRoots tank.

I also have philodendron, pothos, and a dracaena on the table (a solid dining room table converted to fish and  plants table).

Under the aquarium table I store 70% of the fish keeping supplies. I would store everything there, except that I have 4 more tanks underneath waiting to be set up.🤣

I also just broke down the outside ponds (range from 7 gallon to a 60 gal) and they are stored between the wall and the craft cabinet. Luckily, they all stack like a set of Russian dolls. 

I also have over a dozen bottles growing infusoria, and a few bottles dedicated to green water, and I still have a container of black worms in the fridge. 🤷‍♂️

I take them out every 72 hours, rinse them, change their water, and feed them. All my tanks (except for the QT) have black worms in the substrate. 

I have an Excel Spreadsheet with tabs for every tank to keep track of water testing, always looking for consistency and patterns for a better balance."

I already ran out of reactions for the day, hopefully I will have more tonight. 🤣🤣😅

I didn’t know this was a competition but we officially have a winner. In the category of Without being a professional breeder the person with the worst case of MTS is…

On 9/25/2021 at 12:22 PM, Stacy Z said:

Recently diagnosed with 3 tanks in 3 month. I’d like to say that my treatment is working and I won’t get anymore but I mean FISHEYS!!!!

What’s the name of the doctor that wrote that script I’ll be needing to see them!

• Haha 1

A fellow MTS apartment dweller here.

Bowing down in front of you screaming.....I AM NOT WORTHY....I AM NOT WORTHY😱

On 9/25/2021 at 10:26 AM, lefty o said:

Plenty of research showing 12 step programs don't work. 

Remember that the opposite of addiction is relationship. 

So as long as you have a healthy relationship with your tanks and fish, it is not an addiction. 

😬🤣

• Love 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:33 AM, ARMYVET said:

If you follow this program to the end you should end up with 10 new tanks...problems solved!

I second that....We are Nerms for life and we dont leave anybody behind...EVER!

very likely, as every time you fall off the wagon you have to start over.

Thanks for the reminder. I sometimes don't see the top of the dining room table for weeks. Sometime very soon I have to figure out where and when the 26+ patio plants will be returning indoors.  I also have MPS.

• Haha 2

Hi, I'm Ram Man. My MTS started when I was 12 years of age. It has been a 4 year battle and I currently have 21 tanks setup in my bedroom and don't have friends over because there isn't anything to do for people my age who don't have MTS. It's to the point that my first official job is working at my LFS, and I'm not making as much as I would like because I have fell in love with saltwater tanks and have 4 of them currently, but I get to educate costumers all day about fish ,so in conclusion MTS has ruined my socialifr but has given me more than any other addiction...... I mean hobby I have ever had.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2021 at 5:04 PM, Ram man said:

Hi, I'm Ram Man. My MTS started when I was 12 years of age. It has been a 4 year battle and I currently have 21 tanks setup in my bedroom and don't have friends over because there isn't anything to do for people my age who don't have MTS. It's to the point that my first official job is working at my LFS, and I'm not making as much as I would like because I have fell in love with saltwater tanks and have 4 of them currently, but I get to educate costumers all day about fish ,so in conclusion MTS has ruined my socialifr but has given me more than any other addiction...... I mean hobby I have ever had.

MTS affects all age groups you are proof of that. 21 tanks and your 16? That is crazy awesome!!! Would love to see some pics of your tanks. Do you have a journal page? 

On 9/26/2021 at 4:17 PM, Atitagain said:

MTS affects all age groups you are proof of that. 21 tanks and your 16? That is crazy awesome!!! Would love to see some pics of your tanks. Do you have a journal page? 

No, I don't I would like to start one though.  I just need to find time😂

• Haha 1