Fishkeeping and Mental Health

CalmedByFish

If I had to stop keeping fish:  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If I had to stop keeping fish:

• I could find another hobby. I'd be okay.
    • I would probably need some form of mental health help.
    • I'm not sure how much it would affect me.

@Guppysnail Thank you!  There are certainly days when we feel under appreciated, but mostly people are grateful for the help.  Most only get mad when they can’t afford care.  I understand their frustration but it’s just as frustrating for us because we’ve already dealt with 5 (or more) other cases where we could have done more for the pet if only the owner could afford it.  Last night was a pretty good shift.

Day clinics see mostly wellness and healthy visits and occasionally an emergency.  ER vets see zero healthy/wellness visits, but we also still see plenty of cute pets, sometimes with very little wrong.  It’s also incredibly gratifying when a pet that had a poor chance of survival makes a turn around and gets to go home alive, like one particular case last night.

I’ve also seen a lot of THC intoxicated pets lately, but rarely are they seriously ill even though they often present for “seizures” or “can’t walk” like last night’s dog.  And the night before’s puppy.  And the night before’s dog.

Really, people, please make sure your dog can’t eat your weed or edibles!  And if they get into it, just tell us!  We won’t turn you in, we don’t care what you do.  We just want to give your dog the best treatment.  🐶 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 8/28/2021 at 2:28 AM, Trish said:

I recently lost my husband, my tanks are comforting and maintaining them is helping me though my grieving. I have a new Plakat betta to nurture.  

Trish, I am sorry for your loss and glad you have your fish to enjoy. I'm sure your betta will benefit greatly from your care.

• Like 1

I would be disappointed to not have my tanks, but I have other hobbies and I'd be okay. I've always been a person who has a bunch of projects going and I absolutely count on my non-work hobbies/activities to keep me upbeat about life.

The "zone" that I can get into planning a tank or changes I want to make to a tank is the same zone I'm in when planning a new garden bed or art project or special menu, and the meditative state that I'm in while sitting staring into my tank is calm and focused in the same way that crafting or making art can be for me. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:32 PM, PineSong said:

The "zone" that I can get into planning a tank or changes I want to make to a tank is the same zone I'm in when planning a new garden bed or art project or special menu, and the meditative state that I'm in while sitting staring into my tank is calm and focused in the same way that crafting or making art can be for me. 

😁 well put! 

On 8/28/2021 at 7:32 PM, PineSong said:

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 10:16 PM, Atitagain said:

Through all the chaos in my head, with my aquariums is the only place I could find peace... Therapy and meds do help but without my fish I feel I would still be lost.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:18 AM, Guppysnail said:

It was when I was able to set them back up (on a much smaller scale) and start focusing on them that I was able to completely pull out of the depression...  So if I could not fish keep i know depression would rear its head again. 

On 8/27/2021 at 7:39 AM, laritheloud said:

I have clinical OCD and intense anxiety, and fishkeeping is a bit of a double-edged sword. I love my wet pets, I love maintaining their tanks, and I love to watch them... but I also find myself fretting over them an awful lot, and I wish I didn't. I am medicated but it only helps to control my symptoms to a point, and the rest is on me.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:23 AM, Wellxam said:

I would need ANOTHER form of mental help... fishkeeping is basically my therapist at the moment.

On 8/28/2021 at 1:28 AM, Trish said:

I recently lost my husband, my tanks are comforting and maintaining them is helping me though my grieving. I have a new Plakat betta to nurture.  

On 8/28/2021 at 10:39 AM, Odd Duck said:

Watching the fish is very calming for me.  Watching them in a lovely, plant filled tank is even better.  I get a little stressed when the tanks aren’t looking like I want them, but that stress is nothing compared to my job as an emergency clinic vet.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, RachelElizabeth said:

For me, keeping fish is almost like a double-edged sword. Watching the fish and maintaining the tanks definitely helps with my day-to-day anxiety, BUT I am always worried about the health of the fish, plants, etc. 

I pulled these quotes out of the thread, just to say to all of you: YES. I relate to every one of those quotes, painfully. 

I started the poll and thread to find out if I was alone in how badly I need this literally life-saving "hobby." I also wondered if other people like myself would need to know they're not alone in the severity of the need. I'm both glad and sad to see that I'm not the only one. I hope it also gives YOU a sense of not being alone. 

And @Manny, well done. Very well done.

• Like 11

On 8/29/2021 at 12:26 AM, CalmedByFish said:

I pulled these quotes out of the thread, just to say to all of you: YES. I relate to every one of those quotes, painfully. 

I started the poll and thread to find out if I was alone in how badly I need this literally life-saving "hobby." I also wondered if other people like myself would need to know they're not alone in the severity of the need. I'm both glad and sad to see that I'm not the only one. I hope it also gives YOU a sense of not being alone. 

And @Manny, well done. Very well done.

I have been a member of this forum over a year and Im fairly sure my 1st post wasn’t till a  couple weeks ago because of anxiety. I explained all this in my introduction post, the response was overwhelming supportive and every day I feel more comfortable, I feel like a part of this community and try to welcome everyone with the same support I received!!!

I believe this would be a good place to say thank you everyone not only am I gaining knowledge about a hobby I’m very passionate about, I’m also forming friendships and maybe in a small way helping others not only with aquarium related issues but feeling comfortable enough to ask for help as I did.My mental health because of issues I’ve had the courage to talk openly about on here seem more manageable because of this community. Thank you all.

humbly Brian from Indiana 😊

• Like 4

I'm just getting into fish keeping and it has helped my stress and anxiety a Ton.  I would be ok I would say, if I couldn't keep fish anymore, but it's been such a great experience even with my rough start into the hobby where my first 6 fish died of ICH.  I do worry like others have mentioned, sometimes obsessively, about how my fish are doing and about different things related to my aquarium, but it's such a great hobby and I hope to have at least one aquarium for the rest of my life  🐟🙂

• Like 2

I work with NPO providing trauma training, trauma care, and facilitating debriefings. 

I also see a therapist regularly, and I am on meds for C-PTSD.

Planning out / designing/ setting up a new tank is probably my singular best self-care, and I tend to do one big project every 8 months to a year. Could I make do with out aquariums?

Yeah.

Would anyone want to be around me unless I was masking?

Probably not. 

When we had the farm in WA, i didn't need an aquarium because I had 22 acres, 2 creeks, a  pond, and a spring. We had free range poultry, fish in the pond, and 5 acres of apple orchard I tended... I didn't have time or energy to tend fish tanks.

We had a turtle tank, but no fish tanks.

Now, I'm stuck in an apartment. 

I need to have live plants and dirt to get my hands in. Plants grow best with fish mulm.

I need to be able to breed and watch genetics play out. Fish are the only apartment friendly breeding that's going to happen. 

Growing things sustains my hope for the future. Hope is as necessary as breathing...

So yeah. 

I could probably find another hobby, I just don't think it would be as life sustaining....

• Like 5

After a 20 year hiatus, I started up fishkeeping again when my wife passed away last year. Watching the fish helps my anxiety, and working on them keeps me occupied. So, yes, fishkeeping is my therapy.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

While I do love my Aquarium, I also have other strong interests and 2 kids that are getting to the ages of constantly having extra curriculars. The time I get to spend in front of my tank and the time I take to do maintenance is pretty minimal these days anyway.  I am not looking to get out of the hobby but I also don't think it would be detrimental to my mental health either.

• 2 months later...

It's amazing how fishkeeping can positively impact mental health. Watching fish swim gracefully can be calming and therapeutic. Taking care of them gives a sense of purpose and routine. It's a wonderful hobby for reducing stress and anxiety. If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health, remember there are resources available. The national mental health helpline can provide support and connect you with local services. Let's keep swimming towards better mental well-being together.

Edited by Bemoet
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

It's interesting to see the different perspectives on how fishkeeping impacts mental health. It's clear that for some, it's more than just a hobby—it's a source of comfort and stability.

It's worth considering how our hobbies and interests contribute to our overall well-being. Sometimes, they can provide a much-needed escape or a sense of purpose.

On a similar note, have you ever heard of zoophobia? It's fascinating how fears of animals can affect people's lives. If you ever find yourself struggling with such fears, know that there are resources and support available to help you overcome them. You might find this link helpful: https://www.mentalhealth.com/disorder/specific-phobia/zoophobia/

Anyway, whether it's fishkeeping or another hobby, it's important to find what brings you joy and peace of mind. Take care!

Edited by KaylynnWall

I agree 💯, with most all of you.  I don't watch TV, haven't in years.  I have OCD and it can be horrible the anxiety it causes but I can channel it all into the tank or my model car kits, and miniatures that I paint.