Crazy Idea or Not?

Ceej

Ok, so... my tank is a 10 gallon Aqueon LED and it is situated in my living room. Light cycle is 10am to 8pm. Lights are all on a timer for the sake of consistency. I want a good 2-3 hours a day with the ability to see the tank. But after the lights go out at 8pm my family and I watch television, and so there is additional ambient light/noise, etc.

My idea: make a foldout 3 sectioned 'screen' that I could place around the aquarium to block out at least the excess light.

Am I crazy? Will this have any practical effect whatsoever?

@Ceej I have one particular tank that I do that for every night. I use a black piece of construction paper, folded, and set it against the tank corner that faces a light. That's the corner the fish sleep in. That tank is on a desk, so it's easy to just set the paper by it.

I've done the same for tanks on stands, it's just trickier to get it to stay in place. 

Maybe some fish don't need such help, but mine startle when they see light or movement at night. If you think your fish need cover, you might be right! 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:40 PM, Streetwise said:

Using a siesta or dual siesta can be another strategy for managing viewing time...

Thanks for linking that. I had wondered about your dual siesta plan. I have an "off" few hours in the afternoon so I can view in the after work hours without the tank getting too much light. I am glad to know there's no down side and may be an upside for my plants.

• Thanks 1

This sounds like something I would do. Not sure if that means you should or you shouldn’t. 😄 I do worry about messing with my fish’s circadian rhythms by being up so late at night, but I have no way to tell if it’s actually doing them harm.

Ambient lighting shouldn't be an issue as fish experience full moons on a fairly regular basis. A full moon can be pretty bright. The ceiling lighting may even be beneficial. I've had some crazy goldfish who would try to swim sideways if a room light was on in a dark room thinking the light was the sun/moon and where the light was where the surface was. They'd roll onto their side and press against the front glass. They were pretty, but not all that smart. The first few times I thought something was wrong with them but as soon as I turned on their light they'd go back to normal. They just assumed where light was coming from was up.

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2021 at 7:14 AM, Ceej said:

Sure, the tank lights are off, but the ceiling and TV are on, etc.

That is the reason your screen is not practical. Unless the tv is very close to the aquarium, there isn't enough additional light to make a difference.  If the room normally has a lot of activity and light, the fish will have adjusted.  Again, assuming that eventually the room goes dark and quiet, the fish will get there rest. 

If you aren’t sure, you can always try covering the tank in the evenings for a week or so and seeing if your fish seem more energetic during the day.

If you think it helps your fish, do it! We all do crazy things to help our fish.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 12:00 PM, CalmedByFish said:

@Ceej I have one particular tank that I do that for every night. I use a black piece of construction paper, folded, and set it against the tank corner that faces a light. That's the corner the fish sleep in. That tank is on a desk, so it's easy to just set the paper by it.

I've done the same for tanks on stands, it's just trickier to get it to stay in place. 

Maybe some fish don't need such help, but mine startle when they see light or movement at night. If you think your fish need cover, you might be right! 

(smug, satisfied nodding): "Thank you very much."

Edited by Ceej