A real Newbie

Pattie

Hello to anyone reading this message …

I am new to this forum and to my new hobby.  I look forward to figuring it all out.  I have a new 10 gallon tank.  I really want to make, Buddy, my Betta, happy.

I have had some problems and lost Buddy’s Tetra roommates.  I am bummed.

With help, it is my hope, to get my tank safe for Buddy and get him some new roommates.

Thank you for listening ☺️

• Like 8

On 8/3/2021 at 9:44 AM, Patrick_G said:

Welcome to the forum! Let’s see a pic of Buddy! 

Hi Patrick, 

Thank you for the welcome.  I’m so not know how to load a photo.  Buddy is not happy these days and I don’t know what to do.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:05 PM, Streetwise said:

Have you added any live plants yet?

I wanted to get the water crystal clear, before adding any plants… yes/no? I have a few on a waiting list, ready to be ordered.

My plan is to make my 10 gallon into a community with a Gourami/Rosboras/Panda doras/Dwarf Frogs with a few live plants.  Then, make Buddy a nice 5 gallon with a Java fern and a few Neon Tetra/frogs/Doras.

For now, the 10 gal is driving me insane!

I have a sponge filter and a back hanging filter.

Any suggestions or do I just wait out the cloudy water?  The water testing is all good … a little hard water though …

I use YouTube and someone suggested API STRESS ZYME + … I have that coming in the mail in a few days …

HELP??

On 8/3/2021 at 3:53 PM, HH Morant said:

I agree plants are good. They don't care if the water is not perfectly clear.

Sorry that Buddy does not look so good. How long has the tank been set up? 

With this setup, about two weeks with one water change. I do weekly water changes.   
I purchased the tank and went through the water cycle for about a month in May.  Buddy and his roommates were delivered in June.  Everything was really good, I did a water change, made a few adjustments with the decor, everyone was happy.  In July, I noticed Buddy was acting different and becoming unhinged to lethargic … I went to YouTube and got some suggestions, possibly over feeding to Epsom Salt/ pea feeding treatments - didn’t help.  Within a few days, lost my Tetras.  I put Buddy in a small emergency tank for a few days and broke down the 10 gal.  Put a sponge filter in with a hanging filter and cycled for about a week.  When water numbers were good, Buddy went back in the tank.  I changed his food to more variety:  Daphnia, Fluval Bug Bites, Pellets, FD bloodworms or frozen bloodworms.  I feed him small amounts of something once a day.

Buddy hasn’t regained his energy that he had a month ago.  He looks so pretty when does swim, but usually at the top, quick and sharp jolts and then he sits in the corner.  So sad 😞 

Pretty long winded, I know, sorry.  But this is Buddy’s story and the tank that is driving me insane.  I think that this is a bacteria bloom, possibly … for how long?

I hope you can help … I feel helpless in making Buddy happy again.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, Streetwise said:

@Pattie, I am a very messy planted tank aquarist. Plants are always a good thing! If my plants are happy, my fish and shrimp are usually healthy.

Awesome … I have watched Cory on YouTube.  He has a “few” videos on plants.  I enjoy listening to him and I have learned a lot. I’m a little hesitant, but I’m going to make the plunge 😊

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 5:56 PM, Scott P. said:

@ Pattie you said you lost your tetras. Maybe the same thing that got them is getting to Buddy.

Most tetras are fairly easy to keep alive.

I don’t know what to use.  After the Tetra loss, I broke down the tank and wiped everything down …

On 8/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, HH Morant said:

Do you have a test kit to test for ammonia and nitrites?

Yes.  I use test strips - both ammonia and nitrites are zero.  I am getting the API MASTER TESTING KIT next month. (I have to space out the tank spending). I don’t really trust the strips, but that’s what I have for now.

Sounds like you may have lost your cycle, and are in the process of cycling again.

1) Please post water parameters for folks to help in a targeted fashion....we all want to help Buddy!

2) I'll go out on a limb and say it would be helpful to get some Seachem Prime, to detoxify any ammonia or nitrate that may arise from a cycling. (I believe it detoxifies for 24-48 hours)

Also...I am assuming you are declorinating your water.