10 Gallon Guppy Tank Journal

On 7/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, GameCzar said:

I double checked their website, and the pictures do show them smaller than a penny.    Hopefully they will fill out so I can actually watch them.

For me healthy juveniles are the best because they grow up in my water eating my food. Up until now they have been through a period of rapid growth and I am more than happy to take the baton and bring them up to adults. I trust my methods more than having them in some grow out tank somewhere. But then again, I tend to have an optimistic outlook. I look forward to seeing your updates!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I got my original guppies from PetCo at the start of the pandemic.  Those little buggers were bullet proof, and so far still are. I use them to help start tanks and keep tanks cycled/active when I'm transitioning them to other scapes and/or inhabitants. I must have just got lucky, but I have got really good yields on each batch of fry, and not many I would consider culls.

Looking forward to seeing how yours do!

• Love 1

On 7/28/2021 at 4:23 PM, Griznatch said:

I got my original guppies from PetCo at the start of the pandemic.  Those little buggers were bullet proof, and so far still are. I use them to help start tanks and keep tanks cycled/active when I'm transitioning them to other scapes and/or inhabitants. I must have just got lucky, but I have got really good yields on each batch of fry, and not many I would consider culls.

Looking forward to seeing how yours do!

Just nabbed a new tank at Petco today, and they did have some cute guppies.   

By the way, anyone who needs an Aqueon Frameless 14 gallon, they are on sale right now at 39.99! 

• Like 3

You guys will do great. I agree with @Daniel even with less experience under your care it will be total talc rather than a giant batch of the strong eat best. I find the younger the more adaptable they are. Or maybe just me staring at them 24/7 like a fool helps them grow who knows 🤪

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 5:52 PM, Guppysnail said:

You guys will do great. I agree with @Daniel even with less experience under your care it will be total talc rather than a giant batch of the strong eat best. I find the younger the more adaptable they are. Or maybe just me staring at them 24/7 like a fool helps them grow who knows 🤪

Right now 4 of the 6 think they are guppies and they are schooling with the new mutt guppies.  It is adorable!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

Yay another guppie buddy. I have japan blue female and her 20 fry. 3 big ear purple mosaics males all still in my q/t tub’s so don’t have super great pictures yet. Hope to start moving them all to their new permanent homes soon. Sill debating what to do with mosaic boys. I had a rough start on getting some very sick purple mosaic guppies from shop out west and my Japan blue’s were from Tx and have done well minus me stressing them out a bit with ph change to quick or ammonia spike. Mine are quite sensitive. Should have gone  guppy mutt route. 

• Love 1

On 7/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, Georgiapeach88 said:

Yay another guppie buddy. I have japan blue female and her 20 fry. 3 big ear purple mosaics males all still in my q/t tub’s so don’t have super great pictures yet. Hope to start moving them all to their new permanent homes soon. Sill debating what to do with mosaic boys. I had a rough start on getting some very sick purple mosaic guppies from shop out west and my Japan blue’s were from Tx and have done well minus me stressing them out a bit with ph change to quick or ammonia spike. Mine are quite sensitive. Should have gone  guppy mutt route. 

Eventually we want to breed lines but since this is our first experience with guppies,  we figured mutts would be hardier.  And they are gorgeous!  They are hard not to love

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:10 PM, TheCzarista said:

Eventually we want to breed lines but since this is our first experience with guppies,  we figured mutts would be hardier.  And they are gorgeous!  They are hard not to love

Yeah I agree mutts would have been the better route. I had never had guppies b4 either and still new to hobby. So it was fast learning curve. But I love my sensitive stinkers haha 😂 I fig the ones that made it are the stronger of bunch anyhow. 

• Love 2

The pygmy cories have all survived and seem to be really happy!  Tank is doing great so far.

Decided last night in the interest of getting some healthy fry for our porch pond and strengthen genetics, I ordered two more female guppies from a mutt pond guppy breeder.

I also figured since we had 4 males and 2 females, we could remove stress from those two gals by improving the ratio 😉

I have no idea if either idea was sound, but it was an excuse to get a couple more guppies! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 6:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

Bladder snail apocalypse 🤣 I will bet your plants look amazing and that tank is squeaky clean. The new assassins are so beautiful! They will be fat and happy in that tank!

This is going to sound silly, but I just didn't want to scrape the eggs away and let them go to waste.   This way we will have bladders and a couple more knuckleheads to join the crew.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:25 PM, GameCzar said:

This is going to sound silly, but I just didn't want to scrape the eggs away and let them go to waste.   This way we will have bladders and a couple more knuckleheads to join the crew.

Nature always insists on balance….no matter how bad I screw up 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 9:21 AM, GameCzar said:

I also figured since we had 4 males and 2 females, we could remove stress from those two gals by improving the ratio 😉

I have no idea if either idea was sound, but it was an excuse to get a couple more guppies! 

Based on the non-stop harassment levels of my two male guppies towards everyone else in the tank, you definitely made the right call by increasing  your females. You might want to add six more females, in fact, to spread the harassment around even more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1