10 Gallon Guppy Tank Journal

My 2 cents - having lots of sight breaks for the females and plants to hide in is super important. They need a break. Males with flowie fins are slower and eventually catch the females but less often.  I agree with floaters but guppy grass and hornwort as well as wisteria or water sprite are great floaters and sight breaks. When you do move forward with a strain you like and have lots of fry I use 27 g totes from Lowe’s and sponge filters saves money and easy set up and breakdown. Happy guppy keeping to the future Royal Guppy Family @GameCzarand @TheCzarista

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 7/20/2021 at 11:50 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

My 2 cents - having lots of sight breaks for the females and plants to hide in is super important. They need a break. Males with flowie fins are slower and eventually catch the females but less often.  I agree with floaters but guppy grass and hornwort as well as wisteria or water sprite are great floaters and sight breaks. When you do move forward with a strain you like and have lots of fry I use 27 g totes from Lowe’s and sponge filters saves money and easy set up and breakdown. Happy guppy keeping to the future Royal Guppy Family @GameCzarand @TheCzarista

Hornwort is on our shopping list.  The ease of propagation, the ability to break off some for a grow out tank, ease of care, etc...made it seem like a great, economic option!

• Like 3

On 7/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, Taco Playz said:

I started out with one hornwort piece and now it’s in all 8 of my aquariums and I have so much every week when I do water changes I have to throw some away. It’s a great plant but when it’s not happy IT SHEDS. 

I have read that it will drop needles if it gets unhealthy.   Hopefully we can keep em happy!

Hornwort: prefers cooler water. Closer to 80° = closer to Charlie Brown Christmas Tree needle drop off. Also, hornwort needs nitrates, so dose Easy Green as directed on the pump bottle. (And if you buy it at an LFS in Texas, ask if they call it “Coontail”)

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, Fish Folk said:

Hornwort: prefers cooler water. Closer to 80° = closer to Charlie Brown Christmas Tree needle drop off. Also, hornwort needs nitrates, so dose Easy Green as directed on the pump bottle.

Mine do great at 77 but one tank was 79. Guess thats why that one gave up the ghost ive always wondered why. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2021 at 5:22 AM, GameCzar said:

Hornwort is on our shopping list.  The ease of propagation, the ability to break off some for a grow out tank, ease of care, etc...made it seem like a great, economic option!

If you can’t find Hornwort the Mayaca from Aquarium Coop is similar but easier to keep under control. 964D4951-E70C-4A60-817C-F04C531A3B8C.jpeg.b692dd947c14a5017417b437947a819d.jpeg

it’s the plant on the right and the far left corner

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 7/21/2021 at 9:34 AM, Patrick_G said:

If you can’t find Hornwort the Mayaca from Aquarium Coop is similar but easier to keep under control. 964D4951-E70C-4A60-817C-F04C531A3B8C.jpeg.b692dd947c14a5017417b437947a819d.jpeg

it’s the plant on the right and the far left corner

Does it have a root structure or is it a free floating thing like hornwort?

On 7/21/2021 at 9:37 AM, GameCzar said:

Does it have a root structure or is it a free floating thing like hornwort?

I think it’ll do both, but it’s sold as rooted plant in a pot. It’s a fast grower for sure, and looks better in person than on the Coop website. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

No guppies to look at yet today, but they should arrive tomorrow!   

But what DID arrive along with my med-trio from Co-op was this gorgeous Nana Petite.

hang1.jpg

Also what we affectionately refer to as the "rednecky"  has melted some lower leaves but the top leaves are SUPER vibrant and the roots are going nuts. 
hang2.jpg

Edited by GameCzar
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Well we just got our pygmy cories in from AquaHuna, and I don't know much about them but I feel like they sent us juveniles at the least.   I didn't expect that when I dropped these that I would be concerned on if they were small enough to fit in a Guppy's mouth.

Is this normal size?  if so I wish I would have went with a MUCH larger breed. 

pygmy.jpg

pgymy2.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:57 PM, Patrick_G said:

Those are juveniles for sure. I bought mine in November and they were only slightly bigger, but now they’re about an inch. 
I like them a lot but I love my Panda Cories.

I double checked their website, and the pictures do show them smaller than a penny.    Hopefully they will fill out so I can actually watch them.