10 Gallon Guppy Tank Journal

Some of you remember us posting pics of this tank with a totally different plan (Zebras, Dwarf Gouramis, Pygmy Corys), but thanks to Co-Op's vids and some others, @TheCzarista and I are totally smitten with Guppies, and eventually want to try breeding them. 
The plan has now changed to 5-6 mutt guppies with 6 pygmy corys.   We want to learn how to keep guppies healthy, watch them breed on their own, and learn a bit before we try actual strains and deliberate breeding for traits. 

We're still pretty new, so even the small achievement of properly cycling a new tank with no rough spots made us both excited!  We didn't give in to impatience so now we can happily add fish.

Guppy lovers, I'm going to have TONS of questions, so any tips you can provide a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Attached are my parameters, and the tank is staying between 78-80F.   

jito.jpg

yay.jpg

Edited by GameCzar
  • Like 8
  • Love 5

Great! I’m on board for this one. Be ready for mixed results at first. Strangely enough, we _struggled_ with Guppies so much for a while. Our water is soft, so it wasn’t until we added crushed coral and shells that they started doing better. Also, bear in mind that unless you buy locally-bred  / tank-raised Guppies, they’re bound to struggle with health issues given how they’re raised prior to import.

Can you explain the test strip colors? (Sorry… we’re only familiar with titration drops)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 8:23 AM, Fish Folk said:

Great! I’m on board for this one. Be ready for mixed results at first. Strangely enough, we _struggled_ with Guppies so much for a while. Our water is soft, so it wasn’t until we added crushed coral and shells that they started doing better. Also, bear in mind that unless you buy locally-bred  / tank-raised Guppies, they’re bound to struggle with health issues given how they’re raised prior to import.

Can you explain the test strip colors? (Sorry… we’re only familiar with titration drops)

Nitrates: 25PPM
Nitrites: 0PPM 
KH:  150ppm
GH:  80ppm 
PH:  7.6
Chlorine: 0ppm

We had been planning on ordering some mutts from a breeder. 

Edited by GameCzar
  • Like 1

Put male and female guppies in same zip code and you get tons 🤣. Seriously if you have questions im happy to help where i can my guppies thrive and are prolific as can be. 
you will need wondershells liquid calcium crushed coral or whatever method works your water is much to soft. I have liquid rock flowing from my hose but water softner in the house.  I once tried using 50/50 and guppies slowly fell aoart spinal issues in fry lower batch size overall general blah. My ph is also 7.6 they do fine. 
no matter where i get them they are rough. Med trio is an absolute with 2-3 goes at paracleanse. Feed feed feed right from the minute you get them mine i get are half starved so i beef tgem up before i do trio. Best of luck looking forward to pictures of adorable guupy fry

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 8:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

Put male and female guppies in same zip code and you get tons 🤣. Seriously if you have questions im happy to help where i can my guppies thrive and are prolific as can be. 
you will need wondershells liquid calcium crushed coral or whatever method works your water is much to soft. I have liquid rock flowing from my hose but water softner in the house.  I once tried using 50/50 and guppies slowly fell aoart spinal issues in fry lower batch size overall general blah. My ph is also 7.6 they do fine. 
no matter where i get them they are rough. Med trio is an absolute with 2-3 goes at paracleanse. Feed feed feed right from the minute you get them mine i get are half starved so i beef tgem up before i do trio. Best of luck looking forward to pictures of adorable guupy fry

What KH should I be shooting for, 150 shows in the high bracket.   I have plenty of wondershell, so adding it wont be an issue.

Mine is more drops than the chart they are not picky at all as long as its high (i dont even test it for gh/kh anymore the rare times i do its still off the chart) My gh is most often 15 drop! But fluctuates slightly. I would say no less than 200 250 gh better but im not an expert just a retired lady hobbiest.  
i do know if you raise gh too quickly on them they flash like crazy. But once they get used to it, it stops. Again paracleanse or you will think they have parasites until it stops. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 9:00 AM, Guppysnail said:

Mine is more drops than the chart they are not picky at all as long as its high (i dont even test it for gh/kh anymore the rare times i do its still off the chart) My gh is most often 15 drop! But fluctuates slightly. I would say no less than 200 250 gh better but im not an expert just a retired lady hobbiest.  
i do know if you raise gh too quickly on them they flash like crazy. But once they get used to it, it stops. Again paracleanse or you will think they have parasites until it stops. 

I have a preliminary shopping list set up, can I message it to you so you can tell me if there's anything I've missed?

We thought about Endler's, but we really want to try the Guppies.  We've already talked about clearing up space in our kitchen to expand a bit.    We also have plans for a porch pond setup in the future.   I have lots of ideas, just a not much attention span at times! 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 10:25 AM, GameCzar said:

We thought about Endler's, but we really want to try the Guppies.  We've already talked about clearing up space in our kitchen to expand a bit.    We also have plans for a porch pond setup in the future.   I have lots of ideas, just a not much attention span at times! 

I love guppy lips and personality im addicted it never gets old. They are easy to teach to eat directly from your fingers…more like they just start doing it on their own🥰

• Love 1

On 7/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, GameCzar said:

You might want to start checking around for extra tanks, I used to raise several different strains of fancy guppies and you'll be fine as long as you remember that guppy math applies to all their breeding:  "1, 2. 3. whole bunch!"😀

• Haha 2

On 7/20/2021 at 7:55 PM, GameCzar said:

Heck yeah guppy brother!  Share whatever you find and I'll do the same!

Yep, this is why i got those 4 tanks a couple of weeks ago and I have 7 male guppies in my 80 right now using to as a learning tool.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 8:16 PM, Guppysnail said:

It sure is 🥰

You have no idea how ridiculously excited we are now.  You would have thought we won the lottery to hear us 
"Is that a snail on that statue?"

"Where?"

"RIght there..... it IS! We have bladder snails!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Kind of off-topic, but searching the Co-Op store, I dont see med trio offered.   I found the components after finding a blog article about it, but it seems they are all sold separately and in different quantities. 
Was this something that used to be on the store in one package?

On 7/20/2021 at 9:44 PM, GameCzar said:

Kind of off-topic, but searching the Co-Op store, I dont see med trio offered.   I found the components after finding a blog article about it, but it seems they are all sold separately and in different quantities. 
Was this something that used to be on the store in one package?

Yes let me look