What do you feed your fry?

Dancing Matt

I was wondering what kind of fry you breed and most importantly what you feed them (the fry).

I was scouring the forum looking for White Cloud FRY feeding recommendations and thought that consolidating this type information into one post would be useful for us who are new to breeding (if there is already one please feel free to tag it). 

At the moment am breeding bristlenose pleco I feed mine cucumber crushed algae wafers spirulina flakes brine shrimp he's a picture of them eating cucumber two generations there two weeks age difference between them

IMG_20210622_191707310.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 3

If the fry are really small I start with green water which has all kinds of stuff, including rotifers:

If the fry is big enough start with or has grown, I switch to baby brine shrimp.

When I overfeed, which is quite often, I get hydra. The hydra don't worry me though. I think they look pretty cool.

• Like 4

If young fry are too small to eat baby brine shrimp, fry like baby bettas or gouramis for example, I will feed these fry green water/infusoria until they can handle baby brine shrimp.

I am sure hydra can occasionally eat baby fish, but it is rare. Hydra have long arms, but they can't go anywhere and do very insignificant damage as predators. Some people dislike the way they look, and dislike the thought of them in an aquarium. Fortunately, there are ways to get rid of them. Some fish will eat them, and cutting back on free floating food causes their population to crash.

• Thanks 1

my common producers are guppies, and bristlenose plecos. for new born i crush up flake food into powder, but have also fed baby brine shrimp, and even co-op's fry food. i tend to have enough algae for young pleco's, plus wood for them to browse on, and toss in shrimp pellets( the ones meant for corydora's", and algae wafers on occasion.

Green water and infusoria has done well for me with white clouds, danios and Bettas. Also, I will take finely ground flakefood in a test tube vile with water, shake the heck out of it until it's cloudy and feed that. 

• Like 2

Here's all of the fry I've got right now, and what I feed them:

Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows - Keep in an established tanks with lots of algae, micro life. Finely ground flake foods.

Emerald Killifish - When newly hatched, vinegar eels. Once a week old, baby brine shrimp. Once a few weeks old, finely crushed flake foods. 

Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish - Baby brine shrimp. These guys really suffer if there's no live food.

Corydoras Aeneus - Sera micron, baby brine shrimp. I always leave a decomposing catappa leaf for them, and java moss

Dwarf Gourami - infusoria from sponge filter, vinegar eels, green water. Be careful -- they eat one another.

Redtail Goodeids (Xentoca doadrioi) - Sera micron, baby brine shrimp finely crushed Bug Bites Algae flakes.

Electric Blue Acaras - Begin on vinegar eels, but quickly move to baby brine shrimp. Then to finely crushed flake foods.

German Blue Rams - vinegar eels + sera micron for a few days. Quickly get them onto baby brine shrimp.

Bristlenose Plecos - Keep them with lots of wood. They'll eat off of it so much. Sera micron powder, some baby brine shrimp. Eventually lightly boiled slices of zucchini (boiling make zucchini slices sink)

• Thanks 1

I use a coffee grinder and grind up whatever the parents eat for the fry. I can get an insanely fine powder doing that. If the powder is fine enough it more or less stays suspended in the water column and moves with any current often tricking fry into thinking it's alive and moving. I typically grind up flake food, freeze-dried tubifex worms, some granular food, and an algae wafer or two. For baby plecos they just get whatever the adults get. Instead of whole green beans though I'll go with the French style ones as the baby plecos have a hard time with the green bean skins.

• Like 2