Hello from Provo, Utah!

Hello! My name is Jenny, and I was born and raised in Provo, UT. I'm a secondary science teacher who's currently teaching 7th grade science, but I've also taught 8th grade science and high school earth systems. While my masters is in earth systems, my bachelors was in Biology with a minor in chemistry. I really like seeing how different subjects affect and lean into each other. My parents were never really into pets, but we did have the occasional fish growing up. Last year when the shutdown happened, I watched a lot of YouTube and came across this video from Foo the Flowerhorn and I was hooked! This hobby has tickled my chemistry bone, my biology bone, and my earth systems bone! 

My ember tetra had some babies earlier this year, and that was an amazing experience! I'm interested in breeding fish, but I'll need to go outside with ponds because we're renting a duplex at the moment and can't have very many or large tanks inside. Currently reading "The Tub Pond Handbook" by Ted Coletti since Cory mentioned him on an old livestream I was watching. I hope to be a lifelong hobbyist, and am so glad that I've found this forum!

Photo credit -Wikipedia, Mt Timpanogos from Provo, UT

Mount_Timpanogos_-_01-07-08.jpg

Jenny's Tetra Feb 3.jpg

Edited by CoelacanthChild
added tags
  • Like 5

On 6/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, CoelacanthChild said:

Hello! My name is Jenny, and I was born and raised in Provo, UT. I'm a secondary science teacher who's currently teaching 7th grade science, but I've also taught 8th grade science and high school earth systems. While my masters is in earth systems, my bachelors was in Biology with a minor in chemistry. I really like seeing how different subjects affect and lean into each other. My parents were never really into pets, but we did have the occasional fish growing up. Last year when the shutdown happened, I watched a lot of YouTube and came across this video from Foo the Flowerhorn and I was hooked! This hobby has tickled my chemistry bone, my biology bone, and my earth systems bone! 

My ember tetra had some babies earlier this year, and that was an amazing experience! I'm interested in breeding fish, but I'll need to go outside with ponds because we're renting a duplex at the moment and can't have very many or large tanks inside. Currently reading "The Tub Pond Handbook" by Ted Coletti since Cory mentioned him on an old livestream I was watching. I hope to be a lifelong hobbyist, and am so glad that I've found this forum!

Photo credit -Wikipedia, Mt Timpanogos from Provo, UT

Mount_Timpanogos_-_01-07-08.jpg

Jenny's Tetra Feb 3.jpg

Welcome aboard! You’ve found the right place. Foo the Flowerhorn—excellent channel.

Those tetras look great. Breeding fish is so much fun. You’ll find good help here.

• Like 1

Welcome to the fishroom Jenny! I've found this forum to be a friendly, helpful place! And I think it's interesting that you are a science teacher interested in earth systems. I'm not exactly sure what that is, but an aquarium is certainly a closed system just like our Beautiful Blue Marble 🙂  So, I'm sure you'll find lots of overlap!

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 12:02 PM, Cyndi said:

Welcome to the fishroom Jenny! I've found this forum to be a friendly, helpful place! And I think it's interesting that you are a science teacher interested in earth systems. I'm not exactly sure what that is, but an aquarium is certainly a closed system just like our Beautiful Blue Marble 🙂  So, I'm sure you'll find lots of overlap!

Earth Systems goes into the different cycles on earth. Of course there's plate tectonics, geology, and earth's creation, but that's just one term out of four. There's also a term for astronomy and solar system creation / star life cycles; there's a term for earths ocean and freshwater systems/cycles; and last term we go into meteorology and cycles in the atmosphere.

There is certainly LOTS of overlap. Especially talking about nutrients!