Heater nearly cooked my fish

It seems like i narrowly avoided disaster tonight in the mini pond. I walked out into my patio and noticed that steam was rolling off of the pond, which is weird because it was about 66*F out and i only keep the heater set to around 68*. Stuck my hand in and sure enough it felt like bathwater. I unplugged the heater(Marineland 200W) and when i pulled it out of the water it was super hot. Checked the temp after and it was above 90*F! I thought these heaters had some sortve safety to prevent them from cooking the tank, but apparently not.96636A34-4431-4713-A38D-63E0B04F3665.jpeg.85dfd0617695874e0de5641252bac38a.jpeg

So Im looking for suggestions on how i can prevent this in the future without spending a fortune. Im guessing there are temperature activated circuits i can plug the heater into? Im so lucky to have walked out and noticed this before it killed my fish this time, i dont want to allow this to happen in the future.

94F8AE96-7137-4C9C-9CD9-449E7D1735E1.jpeg.7f9523e852bc91a1e26f3c85550fc474.jpegD76F103C-2D75-4E16-8299-2586F0BB754C.jpeg.cd4a0c82a63d6a35c5803c2854f425f6.jpeg103572DC-C7D5-47A7-A91E-11243A6FC54E.jpeg.6e5f9bb561e1561b4b2fe09a75a45663.jpeg

Thanks in advance for the help!

This can happen to anyone at anytime. Other than expensive real-time monitoring, I can’t give you much in the way of prevention.

I will say this, if I needed a heater for an outdoor pond, I would make sure I got a submersible heater with either a titanium or quartz body, not a glass unit.

https://www.finnex.net/hms-series

0EF3A1DD-81DA-4F7D-B988-DF9B453EDD43.png

Edited by tonyjuliano

44 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

Yup! I second the inkbird controllers. They have wifi enabled and non-wifi options (non-wifi are cheaper), and they have single and dual probe options. I have heard occasionally of one of the probes going out of calibration, and the dual probe options check the temperature between each probe and issues an alarm if they get too different from each other. And unless you want to run a chiller or fan in addition to a heater, you don't need the ones that can control both heating and cooling, just heating.

Edited by ererer

I tried an inkbird controller a while back and it kept messing with the wifi, and the temperature readings were erratic (I kept my regular thermometer in place); I finally chucked the contraption. In my experience it's a great concept but poor execution. I'll hold off until someone else comes out with a better unit.

9 hours ago, Jungle Fan said:

I tried an inkbird controller a while back and it kept messing with the wifi, and the temperature readings were erratic (I kept my regular thermometer in place); I finally chucked the contraption. In my experience it's a great concept but poor execution. I'll hold off until someone else comes out with a better unit.

It's likely you just got a bad unit, I haven't had any noticable problems with mine yet. With most of the cheap things we get these days, quality control and longevity are going to be issues. You could try the non-wifi model. Ranco makes high quality industrial grade thermostats with temperature probes that some reef keepers use - you either have to wire the plug in yourself or you can buy ones prewired if you search for Ranco aquarium heater controllers. They don't come wifi equipped though. If you want something with wifi, you could get a used older model apex controller with a temperature probe.

Edited by Eric R
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use inkbird temp regulators. Like 30$ stick probe in water plug heater into inkbird you can plug in two on the cheap model. Temp hits a certain temp it cuts the power. When temp falls below it turns power back on. Also alerts you it’s running too hot

On 5/12/2021 at 8:04 AM, Eric R said:

Yup! I second the inkbird controllers. They have wifi enabled and non-wifi options (non-wifi are cheaper), and they have single and dual probe options. I have heard occasionally of one of the probes going out of calibration, and the dual probe options check the temperature between each probe and issues an alarm if they get too different from each other. And unless you want to run a chiller or fan in addition to a heater, you don't need the ones that can control both heating and cooling, just heating.

I just bought some L134s. I will be purchasing this for sure! Too expensive for a breeding group of them to not protect them the best I can 

• Like 2

I’ve had success with Inkbird controllers not just for my aquariums, I use them in my greenhouse and beer brewing. Solid equipment. 
The guy complaining must have gotten a rare dud. WiFi units allow you to look back at temp reading history, mine all run smooth. 
🤷🏻‍♂️