Just now, CorydorasEthan said:

I heard that these are sometimes not plant safe and kind of aggressive. Is this true? Or are they okay in a planted community tank?

I had heard that, but they seem completely uninterested in my plants and any of the other fish, my angels have perfect un-nipped fins.  I only ever see them chasing each other, and generally ignoring everything else in the tank.  Maybe we just got lucky with this little school?  🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1

Congo tetras are quite a looker. Rummy nose get more and more fun the more that you have. I like their schooling behavior. In the end, I know they have been done to death, nearly everybody has kept them. But i just love neon tetras. They are sorta like a great song that just got played out. It’s not the songs fault for being great. Yep you will hear it on the radio till it gets burnt out. But i still love a school of neons darting around. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

I haven't kept them, so for all I know they're a total bummer to keep, but every time I go to the pet store I have to stop and watch the Diamonds for a minute or two. So sparkly!

14749b69a92a1fb606bf37a404cde02a.jpg

Gorgeous! Why are they hard to keep? Genetic issues or just bad tank-mates?

3 minutes ago, morphy1701 said:

Gorgeous! Why are they hard to keep? Genetic issues or just bad tank-mates?

No idea if they are! I hope they're not because I'd love to keep them one day in a super shadowy planted tank. How cool would that look coming out of the gloom and hitting the light?

They don't sound worse than any other large tetra. Loosely shoal instead of schooling, like water on the acidic side, the usual. They're not shrimp-safe, but what is?

24 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

No idea if they are! I hope they're not because I'd love to keep them one day in a super shadowy planted tank. How cool would that look coming out of the gloom and hitting the light?

They don't sound worse than any other large tetra. Loosely shoal instead of schooling, like water on the acidic side, the usual. They're not shrimp-safe, but what is?

Diamond tetras (Moenkhausia pittieri) are in the same genus as the red-eye tetra (Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae), which is a pretty peaceful fish and can be a tight schooler too. I saw a school of the red-eyes (like around 15 or 20 of them) at a PetSmart and they were perfectly healthy and schooling tightly from one end of the tank to the other. So I would assume diamond tetras show similar behavior. I don't know about hardiness and care requirements though.

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Diamond tetras (Moenkhausia pittieri) are in the same genus as the red-eye tetra (Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae), which is a pretty peaceful fish and can be a tight schooler too. I saw a school of the red-eyes (like around 15 or 20 of them) at a PetSmart and they were perfectly healthy and schooling tightly from one end of the tank to the other. So I would assume diamond tetras show similar behavior. I don't know about hardiness and care requirements though.

From everything I read and watched online, they're like the other similar tetras: fin-nippy and aggressive feeders. I have stayed away from any long-finned fish so I don't have a problem with my Serpae's (notorious nippers). But they are very aggressive feeders despite being the smallest fish in the tank. Not to the other fish but they practically leap out of the water to get at the food. It is Katie bar the door when I feed them.

Edited by morphy1701
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, morphy1701 said:

From everything I read and watched online, they're like the other similar tetras: fin-nippy and aggressive feeders. I have stayed away from any long-finned fish so I don't have a problem with my Serpae's (notorious nippers). But they are very aggressive feeders despite being the smallest fish in the tank. Not to the other fish but they practically leap out of the water to get at the food. It is Katie bar the door when I feed them.

I've seen quite a few reports about serpae tetras being fin nippers, but I've never seen it, and I've had them with pearl gouramis for well over a year.  I'm convinced that most of those reports come from people who don't have enough of them in the tank.  If they don't have enough of their own species to hold their attention and keep them occupied, then they can get into mischief.

• Like 1

Just now, JettsPapa said:

I've seen quite a few reports about serpae tetras being fin nippers, but I've never seen it, and I've had them with pearl gouramis for well over a year.  I'm convinced that most of those reports come from people who don't have enough of them in the tank.  If they don't have enough of their own species to hold their attention and keep them occupied, then they can get into mischief.

Very true. I suspect activity level has a lot to do with it as well. I have a very active tank since it is all similar Tetras, Yoyo's, the EBA, and busy bottom dwellers. I think the Serpae's are too busy keeping up with everyone to get into mischief. I wonder if I had a slower moving Angelfish or something similar if I would have problems. Hypothetical... not gonna find out!