Anyone have issues mixing different types of Tetras? Mine are all similar: Colombian Blues (6), Glotetras (4 - my daughter demanded glowy fish), and five Serpae. But they literally school together most times and never fight. I never kept Tetras prior to this tank time so I honestly don't have that much long term experience with them, but I have absolutely fallen in love with the species.

Edit - the Glo's school with the Blues. Truly, except for the color, they look identical. Same build, fin shape, everything. The Serpae's kinda stick together but mix with the rest as often as not.

Edited by morphy1701

24 minutes ago, Colu said:

I see a lot people they will get 2 serpae tetra 2 neon 2 Columbian tetra and they wonder whey the have fin nipping issue

Yes, Tetras need to be in schools of five or six minimum. Totally agree. But this applies to lots of fish. I guess this is part of learning the whole fish-keeping trade. It is definitely a learning experience with a lot of heart-ache and disappointments but so worth it.

14 hours ago, morphy1701 said:

Very true. I suspect activity level has a lot to do with it as well. I have a very active tank since it is all similar Tetras, Yoyo's, the EBA, and busy bottom dwellers. I think the Serpae's are too busy keeping up with everyone to get into mischief. I wonder if I had a slower moving Angelfish or something similar if I would have problems. Hypothetical... not gonna find out!

I doubt it.  As I said above, I don't have any problems with them and pearl gouramis, and pearls move pretty slow.

12 hours ago, Ram man said:

I'm not so sure how to post pictures but my favorite tetras are the  bleeding heart, red eye tetras, and albino Congo tetras

Open the Reply to this topic box,  Drag  or copy /paste your picture into the gray area  next to the paper clip in the bottom of the box:  "Drag files here to attach...    A thumbnail of your picture should appear.

25 minutes ago, Tanked said:

Open the Reply to this topic box,  Drag  or copy /paste your picture into the gray area  next to the paper clip in the bottom of the box:  "Drag files here to attach...    A thumbnail of your picture should appear.

Thanks, this is really helpful!!

I had Serpae Tetras years ago. They were BAD to nip fins and chase other fish. I had a school of 10 in a 55g tank, and they harangued other fish so badly that I ended up getting rid of them.

The only other type of tetras I've ever owned are Black Skirts. Those were really nice. They didn't school very tightly, tended to be all over the tank (29g), but they never bothered anyone.

I'm thinking about trying Congo Tetras when I can set up a bigger tank after we're in our own place again.

A long time ago, I got a bad taste in my mouth buying a single bleeding heart tetra that acted very aggressively. That's how I got started on rasboras. But I decided to buy some Ember tetras recently, because I thought they were so beautiful. At first, I was like, why did I buy these mini-piranhas? But they have grown on me. I like that the females are as bright as the males.

I have enjoyed watching Cory's rummy nose tetras and even Aquarium Co-Op's display tank of neons. Impressive when there are so many in a tank. The Congo tetra is breath-taking.

• Like 1